Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

On 8/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, Thrak said:

There is no charge associated with the Main Dining Rooms unless you decide to do an "add on" from Crown Grill. Those items - Lobster and Steak - are clearly listed as extra charges. This does not apply to the lobster or steak on the regular portion of the MDR menus.

I read in other postings that on formal night when lobster is on the regular portion of the MDR menu, Princess is now charging a fee if you want a second lobster tail.  That fee is separate from the new fees that were recently announced and I believe it applies regardless of whether you have standard, Plus, or Premier fare.

On 8/9/2023 at 5:06 PM, Sun Queen II said:

We booked in February and it was a promotion. Not sure how much it was daily because it doesn’t show up that way on our invoice. 

That's our problem too.  Emailed my TA today to try to get it sorted out.

19 hours ago, sonoma03 said:

I read in other postings that on formal night when lobster is on the regular portion of the MDR menu, Princess is now charging a fee if you want a second lobster tail.  That fee is separate from the new fees that were recently announced and I believe it applies regardless of whether you have standard, Plus, or Premier fare.

I have read this, but would love to read more after myself and others were posting that guest can have surf & turf included.  So, why cannot guest have 2nd lobster tail free if not having the steak?

I'd be asking that of a Head Waiter or DR Mgr.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:12 AM, Steelers36 said:

Not using the App.  All you can do is request a Sharing table, which could be any size (most likely 6 or 8).  Table Size is not an option.  However, you are in luck because the App cannot and does not keep a Sharing table group of random guests together for the entire voyage.  Not only that, it doesn't block you into the same table each night. 

If you are happy sharing with random folks and in random locations, go ahead and book in DMW.  You can also be a Walk-Up and get the same thing.  An advantage of this option is you can request an 8-top each night which you won't necessarily get in DMW App.

Enjoy!

I cannot book a sharing table for anytime around 7:30 already on Sky for our cruise next May. Not checked later times after 8:00 , so they may open up later. Anyone else find this problem.

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I cannot book a sharing table for anytime around 7:30 already on Sky for our cruise next May. Not checked later times after 8:00 , so they may open up later. Anyone else find this problem.

I have read this issue.  No way to know unless one could dialog with the system designers as decision-makers, but they may have reduced sharing space in DMW.  Here is why it could be and why you shouldn't worry much I am thinking.  As I mentioned, the App cannot and does not setup a group of strangers at a sharing table and keep them together.  Sharing is going to be a 6-top or 8-top 99%.  The rare 10-tops may be reserved for large family groups or it could be at least some of them are open for sharing spots as well.  I would think as a walk-up who wants a sharing table, you would not be waiting long at all to be seated in whatever DR they direct you to for that option. 

Do you see all three DR's available in the App when searching for any kind of a table - Private as well?  Yes, more space could open up once on board - especially if your ship has a DR held back from the App in advance of sailing date.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

In addition to the advice that @Steelers36 gave you..,

also try to book the shared table, whatever time you want, ONE day at a time.  Sometimes it’s available for each individual day when booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

In addition to the advice that @Steelers36 gave you..,

also try to book the shared table, whatever time you want, ONE day at a time.  Sometimes it’s available for each individual day when booking.

TBH why on earth would I want to book a table at any fixed time when I am on holiday and want to dine when the fancy takes me.  That was always the beauty of Anytime Dining, I could just turn up when I felt like it on the day, and share a table with different people every night. If I wanted to dine at the same time every night with the same people I could choose fixed dining.

Booking everything in advance is not my idea of a relaxing holiday, but it does definitely benefit the cruise line.

If I dont book and then havie to face a long queue at the restaurant, or if the theatre is full, then it's my fault and not the cruise lines, even if they deliberately don't have enough dining covers to seat every passenger, or the theatre is not big enough for everyone. I am extremely surprised that there has not been more uproar from North American passengers who generally are very quick to complain when the cruise line reduces passengers choice.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

This sounded like you wanted to book a sharing table….

So, that’s the info I gave.

By all means, you can just show up for anytime dining to any of the 3 MDR’s.  You don’t book anything.  There’s also no such thing as fixed dining anymore. If you

book same time, same MDR every night as shared table, it would be with different guests.  Unless, you all make arrangements with the DRO/Maitre’d and request same time, table together.

It’s called DMW, Dine my way now.  More flexibility, I think. I like the same time every day and plan activities around it.  Everyone is different.  It’s your holiday, do as you please, for sure.

Edited by PacnGoNow

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

TBH why on earth would I want to book a table at any fixed time when I am on holiday and want to dine when the fancy takes me.  That was always the beauty of Anytime Dining, I could just turn up when I felt like it on the day, and share a table with different people every night. If I wanted to dine at the same time every night with the same people I could choose fixed dining.

Booking everything in advance is not my idea of a relaxing holiday, but it does definitely benefit the cruise line.

I couldn't agree more and this whole situation drives me to drink. I also like to turn up when ready and Princess have mucked this up and I think the old system was much better. The last cruise we did we were often met with a queue but in the end we just got used to taking a buzzer and heading to a bar and waiting. It was never more than 30 minutes and if that mucked up our intention to go to the theatre we just went to the later show.

They certainly should have plenty of tables for those that want to book a set time but my main beef is that these tables have to sit empty well before the booking time. You arrive at the dining room entry desk and get told that there are no tables available at that time for walk ins, yet all you see is empty tables. When we have been in dining rooms we have seen tables that were never occupied the entire time we were there so obviously no shows. They have the balance all wrong but we just go with the flow now. 

But, this has been done to death and Princess seem to be happy to cop the complaints.

Edited by leck57

We are booked on the new Sun Princess in April 2024. I am Elite and my wife is Platinum. Since booking in March 2023, Dine My Way on the app always says "Sorry - Dine My Way is not available right now. We are currently making updates to available reservations. Please try again later." 

I have not been able to determine if this is because it's a new ship and they don't have information loaded yet or if it's something about my reservation that is messing it up. Has anyone been able to make DMW reservations for Sun Princess?

3 hours ago, Last Lion said:

On a Six night Discovery cruise in October.

Will there be a lobster night on a six day cruise?

If so, is it always on a sea day?

Certainly could be, but there is only 1 formal night and that is when they do it.  However, it has normally been on second of two formal nights.  If you have a sea day, that is the one to count on.  If you have more than one sea day, then hard to say, except they probably have it early and do the Captain Welcome Aboard theme.

I have a few Questions about "Dine My Way," perhaps some of you experienced Princess travelers could helps me.

I have a long trip coming up (31 days), and I signed up for same time dinner each night in the Michelangelo Dining Room.  Is that a mistake?  The fact is we may not want to do that absolutely every night.  How would I pick individuals night to cancel the reservation either ahead (before we leave on the trip, or a day or two ahead while we are on the ship?  What happens if you don't show up, does your booking for the rest of the nights get cancelled?

I can't find it now, but I remember seeing a choice somewhere about whether you like eating at a slow, medium, or fast pace.  What is that about?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

I have a few Questions about "Dine My Way," perhaps some of you experienced Princess travelers could helps me.

I have a long trip coming up (31 days), and I signed up for same time dinner each night in the Michelangelo Dining Room.  Is that a mistake?  The fact is we may not want to do that absolutely every night.  How would I pick individuals night to cancel the reservation either ahead (before we leave on the trip, or a day or two ahead while we are on the ship?  What happens if you don't show up, does your booking for the rest of the nights get cancelled?

I can't find it now, but I remember seeing a choice somewhere about whether you like eating at a slow, medium, or fast pace.  What is that about?

Thanks

You can just go into the App, and change just that night, if you want a different time or MDR, ahead or once OB.

If you are not going to be there, I let the waiter know, if we have the same waitstaff every night.  I also cancel it on the App if we’re not coming.

If you rebook that night for a SD, it has been replacing it automatically.  If it didn’t, just cancel that night in MDR on the App.

If you no-show, they hold the table 10-15 mins and then assign it to another guest.

Be courteous and just cancel it. JMO

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

Thanks

The slow, relaxed, fast paced is on the App preferences and dining.  I really don’t think they even look at that…but might as well fill it out, for the fun of it, right? 😂

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

The slow, relaxed, fast paced is on the App preferences and dining.  I really don’t think they even look at that…but might as well fill it out, for the fun of it, right? 😂

Yeah, I think that was somebody's idea of "wouldn't this be a cool feature to include?" and then it didn't fly with the upper echelon.

Personally, I'm fine if they move it along and bring the food at a decent pace like in a restaurant where they want to turn over the tables to get more customers in.  Sometimes the service takes too long for my taste.  I want to eat and get on to other things.

21 minutes ago, Seafan22 said:

Personally, I'm fine if they move it along and bring the food at a decent pace like in a restaurant where they want to turn over the tables to get more customers in.  Sometimes the service takes too long for my taste.  I want to eat and get on to other things.

Just let your waiter know and they will work to accommodate.  Works well if you are at your own private table and not a sharing table.

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Just let your waiter know and they will work to accommodate.  Works well if you are at your own private table and not a sharing table.

Yes with a sharing table they go with the slowest eater. In the old days wit traditional dining we once had a person at the table who always ordered 2 apps, soup and salad. Took forever and we changed tables

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes with a sharing table they go with the slowest eater. In the old days wit traditional dining we once had a person at the table who always ordered 2 apps, soup and salad. Took forever and we changed tables

Ugh.  Main reason we don't share as do not want to be ages to finish dinner service.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We did share table one time at lunch and you'd think it was one couples last meal. Ridiculously long.