EXCURSIONS REQUIRED TO GET OFF IN ITALY

Mbc023

We visited Italy as a destination on out own in Oct 2017, heat was bananas until we went to Egypt in 2018. That being said I understand RCG tours are expensive but Italy is a whole lot of everything. We used the trains, buses, ferries etc and I can say that none of them were even close to being on time. Even at a low-peak travel time we still had crowd and transportation issues. I can't imagine traveling right now with Covid restrictions to the EU. 

1 hour ago, Mbc023 said:

As stubborn as it sounds, I do not want to rebook for next year.  I have waited too long for this trip and cannot wait another year. I planned this in 2019 for 2020, and cannot imagine waiting now until 2022 to take it. Would rather get my money back and do it on foot. 

It's disappointing to see people sightseeing on foot all over Europe, but when cruisers want to sight see they can only do set tours. 

For the RCI UK seacation cruises, which are only for UK residents, only stopping in UK ports; we are only allowed off in ports on ships excursions … whereas we can get in a car and drive there without restrictions….. it’s madness. 

• Like 1

I just had a quick look at the cruise planner for my cruise and the prices have been put up by truly outrageous amounts; in some cases they have more than doubled or even nearly tripled. I'm disappointed but not entirely surprised to see Royal apparently taking advantage of a captive audience. I really hope they will do the decent thing and at least offer something cheap on board. Since we are going more for the ship than the ports we will happily stay on board for the whole week and not spend a dime but I really feel for my fellow cruisers from afar who may have to pay out big money to get off and visit the ports. 😞

• Like 1

I would like to add, that although I'm a big fan of private tours,  I have also taken quite a few ship sponsored tours in Italy that turned out to be exceptional, so not all of them are less than stellar. They do tend to be more expensive, but right now if that is the only option and the OP wants to take the cruise, then it is what it is and just bite the bullet and enjoy the experiences.

3 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I just had a quick look at the cruise planner for my cruise and the prices have been put up by truly outrageous amounts; in some cases they have more than doubled or even nearly tripled. I'm disappointed but not entirely surprised to see Royal apparently taking advantage of a captive audience. I really hope they will do the decent thing and at least offer something cheap on board. Since we are going more for the ship than the ports we will happily stay on board for the whole week and not spend a dime but I really feel for my fellow cruisers from afar who may have to pay out big money to get off and visit the ports. 😞

I’ve just noticed the huge price increases too. An excursion I meant to book on Saturday for £50pp, ( I got distracted and forgot about it) is now £121pp 😧

Mbc023: Thanks for entrusting our input! You might get differing opinions, but you'll be able to come up with a good balance that's right for you.

My thoughts? Unless this is the last hurrah for your 100th birthday, and you might not make it to next year, I would counsel you to wait. Reschedule! Even if your cruise actually goes, you really can't plan on being able to do a tour of any kind, much less even be allowed off the ship. Itineraries will not be reliable, since local regulations for cruise ships will adapt to their changing Covid circumstances.

Cruiseline sponsored shore excursions? For us, rarely in the Caribbean, but never in Europe or South America. Just too many bodies. I would strongly recommend a private tour company. Much cheaper than cruiseline tours. You can still enjoy a special adventure with 2 or 4 or 6 other people in a van. You can schedule the day according your desires. You won't waste time scratching your head over train and bus schedules. Responsible tour operators get you back to the ship on time, their reputation depends on it!

Bottom line, if your priority is to maximize the "local culture" experience, you just can't do that being herded around on a ship's tour. Especially with added Covid restrictions.

My advice? Cool your jets and wait for a safer time.

• Like 1

My advice is to go. Go with recalibrated expectations and you will have a great trip. Go with high expectations and you might have regrets. Whatever you can't see this time will go on the bucket list for a future visit and something else to look forward to - maybe a land trip or an excuse for another cruise (if you need such an excuse).

If I were in your shoes then I would spend the money to go on at least one ship excursion rather than to travel so far just to stay on the ship and save some money. Caribbean, I'm happy to stay on the ship. Europe is another story.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Yup - After finding out yesterday about the mandatory RCL excursions, I put a few items in my cart last night. Was going to pay for it this morning and their "25%-35%" off deal was run August 4th to August 10th. Now my $1400 worth of shore excursions turned into $1800. You would think they'd extend the deal if customers have to take their excursions. As well, you can't even use cruise credits for excursions. 

19 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

I’ve just noticed the huge price increases too. An excursion I meant to book on Saturday for £50pp, ( I got distracted and forgot about it) is now £121pp 😧

They were running excursion deals through the 10th of August - Funny thing is they informed me yesterday that the excursions are mandatory if you want to get off. Thanks RCL for giving me only 6 hours after work to take advantage of the deal.... 😒

4 minutes ago, Mbc023 said:

They were running excursion deals through the 10th of August - Funny thing is they informed me yesterday that the excursions are mandatory if you want to get off. Thanks RCL for giving me only 6 hours after work to take advantage of the deal.... 😒

@Mbc023, if you decide to go ahead with the cruise I would advise you to keep checking the cruise planner every day. Stranger things have happened and price drops can suddenly appear out of nowhere even without there being a "sale" on. Royal usually have "sales" every 3-4 weeks and there is usually one around Labor Day. Depending on when they start that one, you might just be able to take advantage of it but advance bookings through the cruise planner close 2 days before each sailing, so you may be out of luck. 😞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mbc023 said:

Hi Fellow Cruise Lovers! 

My BF and I have had this Mediterranean Dream vacation planned since July 2019. We were supposed to leave MAY 2020 and you know the drill.... 

With that said, we are now set to go on Harmony of The Seas from Barcelona on September 5th. However, we were just notified that if we want to get off the ship in Italy, we have to do their booked excursions.  Some of these excursions are $300 a person. I am truly disappointed as we planned to do Cinque Terre on our own, Capri on our own, and Rome on our own. Now what I thought would be a $25.00 train ticket through the fishing villages of  Cinque Terre is now costing us $600. Our plan of doing the Blue Grotto and Faraglioni Rocks in Capri are shot as they won't let you go on your own.  

My dream vacation is already turning into a mess... Thoughts? 

Sorry to hear this as I’m sure this is a huge blow, we’ve done a couple of ship tours in the past (only as a very last resort) and if this was a requirement on our upcoming cruise I’d cancel for sure or stay on the ship… there’s absolutely no way I’d be willing to be forced to take a ship tour again as in my personal opinion they are way over priced for what they offer and can’t for the life of me see how they would be considered any safer vs going on our own, they may limit the amount on a bus but at the end of the day there’s more on a celebrity tour vs a private tour, especially for us as we generally choose to do our own thing for just the 2 of us. 

hope whatever you decided to do it works out great for you 🤞🏻😊

• Like 1

We’re on Harmony in October, embarking in Rome. We have now booked ships tours for Cinque Terre and also Sorrento/Pompeii. Both of these are reasonably far from the port and I feel a ships tour is the safer option anyway. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BekkaW said:

We’re on Harmony in October, embarking in Rome. We have now booked ships tours for Cinque Terre and also Sorrento/Pompeii. Both of these are reasonably far from the port and I feel a ships tour is the safer option anyway. 

I also think that the ship tours are safer now especially because you won't miss the ship (or they will take care of you). I would not want to get left behind and then find out there are some serious issues due to Covid restrictions and so forth (not being able to find lodging, not being able to travel easily, etc.). Something to consider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I also think that the ship tours are safer now especially because you won't miss the ship (or they will take care of you). I would not want to get left behind and then find out there are some serious issues due to Covid restrictions and so forth (not being able to find lodging, not being able to travel easily, etc.). Something to consider.

That is a very valid point, especially when travelling to a foreign country for the first time and where they speak a language you're not familiar with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I do understand where you are coming from, but the excursions I planned were through the ship;  they were Capri on your own and Rome on your own. It arranges for the transfers but allows you to do as you wish once there. I just spoke with my TA and she has a great relationship with someone at RCCL. The person at RCCL said off the record "They should reschedule it and push it til next year.". Coming from someone behind the scene at Royal, I may just listen to them. 

Edited by Mbc023
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mbc023 said:

Hi Fellow Cruise Lovers! 

My BF and I have had this Mediterranean Dream vacation planned since July 2019. We were supposed to leave MAY 2020 and you know the drill.... 

With that said, we are now set to go on Harmony of The Seas from Barcelona on September 5th. However, we were just notified that if we want to get off the ship in Italy, we have to do their booked excursions.  Some of these excursions are $300 a person. I am truly disappointed as we planned to do Cinque Terre on our own, Capri on our own, and Rome on our own. Now what I thought would be a $25.00 train ticket through the fishing villages of  Cinque Terre is now costing us $600. Our plan of doing the Blue Grotto and Faraglioni Rocks in Capri are shot as they won't let you go on your own.  

My dream vacation is already turning into a mess... Thoughts? 

I personally would cancel and book europe cruise for summer 2022.     

Imagine if you test positive while in Europe and then have to quarantine for 10 to 14 days (or however long it takes to test negative) before you can fly home to the US.    It is a chance you take these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the rule about using a ship excursion for vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers? Or just for the unvaccinated? This is alarming as I'll be going in May 2022. Hopefully things will be settled by then. But it's clearly important to budget for Plan B, vaccinated or not...

16 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Is the rule about using a ship excursion for vaccinated and unvaccinated passengers? Or just for the unvaccinated? This is alarming as I'll be going in May 2022. Hopefully things will be settled by then. But it's clearly important to budget for Plan B, vaccinated or not...

It is required for all passengers vaccinated or not, but I wouldn’t worry about the cruise you have for May 2022. I think enough time would’ve passed at that point for you to roam as you’d like. I’ll most likely have to reschedule to May 2022. 😢

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mek said:

I feel for you.  Do these changes qualify for you being able to cancel because you don't like the new protocols?  Because if they do, I would certainly cancel and take the trip another time.

Just my personal opinion, but no way would I travel to Europe right now and risk getting sick or have problems that far from home.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, Mbc023 said:

It is required for all passengers vaccinated or not, but I wouldn’t worry about the cruise you have for May 2022. I think enough time would’ve passed at that point for you to roam as you’d like. I’ll most likely have to reschedule to May 2022. 😢

If it makes you feel any better there are lots of us in the same boat (pun intended).

Our b2b Baltic/Norway sailing was cancelled for aug 2020, rebooked for aug 2021..that was cancelled so rebooked for aug 2022.  We were really looking forward to that cruise when we booked it in 2019 with my Brother and his Wife.  

It stinks for all of us but there are worse things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If it makes you feel any better there are lots of us in the same boat (pun intended).

Our b2b Baltic/Norway sailing was cancelled for aug 2020, rebooked for aug 2021..that was cancelled so rebooked for aug 2022.  We were really looking forward to that cruise when we booked it in 2019 with my Brother and his Wife.  

It stinks for all of us but there are worse things.

Yep.  I was going to do a land-based Italy trip for my grandmother's 80th Birthday -- she's obsessed with Italy -- but that was in March 2020.  Clearly, that didn't happen, and it couldn't happen this year either, but fingers-crossed that we can go for her 82nd Birthday! 

• Like 2

It is defintely disapointing having vacation change after vacation change as countries and cruise lines react to teh ever changing virus situation. 

We have had many cancellations and changes too...and my oldest was supposed to get married last summer followed by a honeymoon cruise to Canada and New ENgland.  Everythign shifted to this summer, then the cruises to Canada were not happening so they ended up with a 9 night on Oasis, which got cancelled the mnth before the wedding (after airfare was bought) so did a quick pivot to a Celebrity sailing which fit into the airfare.  And also ended up having to do ship sponsored excursions in Mexico.  It wasn't what they initially envisioned at all (niether likes heat or beaches and ended up on an August sailing to Mexico) but they decided to just roll with it and enjoy and tehy had a wonderful time-

We're on the Oct 24 Harmony sailing and were notified on 6 August about having to stick wit hship sponsored excursions.  One in our party, who hasn't been to Italy, had already been looking at taking some excursions and the prices went down a bit, not up like everyone is saying, so i am not sure what is up with that, other than maybe a supply and deand issue?

Anyway. OP, I DO think the sailings will happen (maybe that is just wishful thinking). 

You can decide to go with the flow and make the best of the choices you are given and enjoy the cruise (if you go into it stewing baout how annoying all the cahgnes are it won't be enjoyable), cancel until a future date when travel restrictions have loosened (and the number of tourists you fight to see evreything is back up to insanse levels again) or cancel the cruise portion and enjoy a land vacaiton in Italy instead.  Any of those can be a good choice.

Me?  I miss cruising.  We are taking any cruise we have booked which goes and enjoying whatever we can with it.

Last year we did a 3 week driving trip in NOrway and adored that too.  I make lemonade whenever ad however I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I planned a cruise for over a year, and really hoping it would happen.  It was an Asian cruise, and not my first one.  Guess what, as we got to 3 months away, it looked like it will not happen.  I went for a plan B.  Your vacation is not going to happen the way you want, and you know it.  Are you already flying and booked airfair?  Why not cancel the cruise, and while Spain is open, take the opportunity to rent a car, and explore Spain instead?  

I chose a completely different country, explored it completely by car and had no issues the entire time.  No, it was not what was planned, but I did not skip out on it, and we certainly had fun

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I planned a cruise for over a year, and really hoping it would happen.  It was an Asian cruise, and not my first one.  Guess what, as we got to 3 months away, it looked like it will not happen.  I went for a plan B.  Your vacation is not going to happen the way you want, and you know it.  Are you already flying and booked airfair?  Why not cancel the cruise, and while Spain is open, take the opportunity to rent a car, and explore Spain instead?  

I chose a completely different country, explored it completely by car and had no issues the entire time.  No, it was not what was planned, but I did not skip out on it, and we certainly had fun

Hi Joseph - 

Thanks for your input. After sleeping on it (much needed time to cool off), I actually had that same thought this morning. My airfare is already booked for Barcelona, so I may just spend a few days there, and then head over to Mallorca or Ibiza. I've pretty much come to terms that the trip is not going to go as I would like it to in regards to my stops in Italy and for that, I am going to cancel.  Maybe "winging it" in Spain will lead to a perfect and memorable vacation. Cheers my friend! 

Edited by Mbc023
  • Like 4