Vista restaurants revealed

Beagle5

2 hours ago, KS&JW said:

Someone should start a cheese thread.
 Until then my vote is for  https://www.cheese.com/delice-de-bourgogne/

That is my second favorite after D"Affinois Blue  D'Affinois has the creamy texture of Delice- de -Bourgogne with the extra little zip that the blue offers.

I also like Livarot and Munster that I have only had on Oceania.  I thought they had misspelled Munster when I first saw it https://www.cheese.com/munster/

Sorry for going off topic to my cheese addiction😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Best served at room temp (not cold)

Surely all cheese is best served at room temp. It's something I've generally stopped ordering in restaurants unless I can actually see the cheese out of the fridge (say, on  the trolley or "chariot" as the French have it.

Favourite French cheeses - Maroilles and Mimolette. Both from the Nord Pas de Calais region (which is the area of the country I most often visit).

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

As you seem to live somewhere near me can you recommend the place where you buy this cheese (or do you get it online)?

D’Affinois Blue sounds good as well

Apologies for a brief OT note about French cheeses. Some years ago on a trip in France we’ve discovered a new favorite cheese - Livarot. Shortly afterwards while visiting Tahiti we took a local bus tour with 5 or 6 strangers that included lunch. Straining for conversation with strangers I had asked an obviously French gentleman if he was familiar with Livarot. He said nothing but pulled out his French passport that indicated his place of birth as Livarot, France.

What are the odds?

I have not seen it at my Trader Joe's, but purchase it at Whole Foods.  Just an FYI,  I was pleasantly surprised to discover is offered at RH restaurant in Corte Madera.  

2 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

That is my second favorite after D"Affinois Blue  D'Affinois has the creamy texture of Delice- de -Bourgogne with the extra little zip that the blue offers.

😊

Blue with a creamy texture of double cream?  I need to put this on the grocery list.

3 hours ago, KS&JW said:

I have not seen it at my Trader Joe's, but purchase it at Whole Foods.  Just an FYI,  I was pleasantly surprised to discover is offered at RH restaurant in Corte Madera.  

How odd that Trader Joe's would carry this item in Southern California (where I live), but not Northern California. Makes no sense.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, KS&JW said:

On 8/15/2021 at 9:36 AM, cruisingxpert said:

I love Epoisses and Agur is a lovely blue but my new and hard to find is D"Affinois Blue

Picture of fromager d'affinois bleu

On 8/15/2021 at 11:07 AM, KS&JW said:

On 8/15/2021 at 12:12 PM, avalong said:

I buy delice de bourgogne at Trader Joe's. Yum.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:42 PM, cruisingxpert said:

I also like Livarot and Munster that I have only had on Oceania.  I thought they had misspelled Munster when I first saw it https://www.cheese.com/munster/

Sorry for going off topic to my cheese addiction😊

Thank you all for this info.

Time to search for and enjoy new pleasures 😀

On 8/12/2021 at 11:17 PM, Jancruz said:

Jacques menu items will be available in the GDR

Jancruz1

Do not like the GDR.  Jacques was one of our most liked.  Sad to see it go. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, ORV said:

Here's the website link. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/vista/culinary-experiences

One thing to note is that Ember is not a specialty and is open for lunch and dinner. This means there will be 3 specialty restaurants on Vista, not 4 like the O ships. 

I'll be curious about Jacques on the O ships. I would say there won't be any change there. Probably why we're not seeing it on Vista is that it is the least popular. 

Only speaking of Jacques.  It may not be the favorite of many passengers (I have no idea of the numbers) but we are two of the MANY who prefer it to all of the other specialty restaurants.  And viewing the video touting the benefits of the new ship .... well, I wasn't impressed.

Oceania won't care since I'm not sure that we will be sailing in the future given my husband's vision problems ... I am willing to sail alone but given his current problems am hesitant to leave him home alone.  Our cat might help him but probably not sufficiently!

• Like 2

Here’s our bottom line. We’re travelers not cruisers. We chose a cruise based upon the itinerary, not the restaurants aboard. The best meal we have during a cruise is very rarely aboard ship. That not a slap at any cruise ship’s food, it’s just a statement of the local options. I expect that we will continue to receive good food aboard Oceania’s ships. For those fawning over Jacques, your options remain the same ( at least for the short term), book a cruise on the Marina or Riveria, Nothing stays the same indefinitely. Even Oceania realized they needed to spruce up and modernize their existing menus in the other Specialties.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s our bottom line. We’re travelers not cruisers. We chose a cruise based upon the itinerary, not the restaurants aboard. The best meal we have during a cruise is very rarely aboard ship. That not a slap at any cruise ship’s food, it’s just a statement of the local options. I expect that we will continue to receive good food aboard Oceania’s ships. For those fawning over Jacques, your options remain the same ( at least for the short term), book a cruise on the Marina or Riveria, Nothing stays the same indefinitely. Even Oceania realized they needed to spruce up and modernize their existing menus in the other Specialties.

You make some good points.  I guess we will see as things go along.  One restaurant more or less will not change our mind as to which ship we go on. It still will be on O and the itinerary  will be our guide.

• Like 1

As I was looking back through the information on the Vista restaurants I noticed this about Waves Grill

"Open for lunch and afternoon dining only."

The Waves on the other ships I do believe have historically served some form of breakfast. I wonder if they will do away with that on the other ships? Or since Vista has the Aquamar restaurant that will also be serving breakfast they figure that will replace the Waves breakfast? 

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

As I was looking back through the information on the Vista restaurants I noticed this about Waves Grill

"Open for lunch and afternoon dining only."

The Waves on the other ships I do believe have historically served some form of breakfast. I wonder if they will do away with that on the other ships? Or since Vista has the Aquamar restaurant that will also be serving breakfast they figure that will replace the Waves breakfast? 

ORV;

Interesting find. I personally believe that with the new expanded French Cafe style Barrista with all the new bakery goods, that will be the place to go for an easy light breakfast of great coffee, croissants , or other fresh baked pastries. Quite often that’s all I need or want for breakfast and the new menu allows me to avoid the Terrace at breakfast.

• Like 2

Yes, I also see that area taking the place of the snacks that are in Horizons on the other ships early in the morning. Or not, some might still prefer to sit in Horizons while having a morning snack, we'll wait and see what happens there. If it's a port day I'm like you, just a quick breakfast and go out, for a sea day I prefer the GDR with a nice leisurely breakfast. 

• Like 1

My disappointment in the restaurants of Vista is the elimination of Jacques - the French venue - for the addition of Embers - another US venue.

IMO the American items could have been used to enhance Polo. The steakhouse theme is not in tune with current trends and food  preferences. We will miss the more formal, European flair of Jacques and its homage to French cuisine.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Robjame said:

My disappointment in the restaurants of Vista is the elimination of Jacques - the French venue - for the addition of Embers - another US venue.

IMO the American items could have been used to enhance Polo. The steakhouse theme is not in tune with current trends and food  preferences. We will miss the more formal, European flair of Jacques and its homage to French cuisine.

+ 1

• 10 months later...

We have 4 Vista cruises booked. 2 in 22 and the other 2 in 23. On all 4 four bookings, under "Manage Your Booking," under Dining it says we will be allowed, depending on length of cruise, 1 or 2 bookings in Toscana and in Polo Grill. Nothing about Red Ginger or Ember. While on the phone with Oceania about other matters I've asked why not. I've been told either: It will be added or They're still working on it. My TA has been told Red Ginger and Ember will be included. But why was that language used compared to all our other Oceania bookings????

If anyone has info on this I would appreciate it. Thank you

1 hour ago, ChadnKate said:

We have 4 Vista cruises booked. 2 in 22 and the other 2 in 23.

I did not think the ship was  sailing until 2023??

Can  you book reservations now?

Maybe when the ship is ready to sail  they will have the kinks worked out 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, Robjame said:

Let me first agree with you.

We were told by the OCA aboard ship in either 2018 or 19, when the Vista was first introduced, that Jacques would not be included and Barrista was going to be reimagined. So far the only thing she may have, tbd, been incorrect on was the reimagining of the PG which probably needs it the most. This change has been in the works for 4 or more years.

Oceania is predominately a North American ( U.S. & Canada)line. Many of those prefer their food simple and boardline bland. I have given up the fight. Almost always, the best food we have on a cruise is not aboard ship, but ashore at lunch or dinner during the rare late departures. That’s not a knock on Oceania food, it just means they can’t compete against local specialties prepared with local fresh ingredients and spices.

Jacques is very Americanized French, but not nearly as much so Americanized as the other restaurants. One of the things I enjoy most with one of the other lines is their nightly inclusions of local produce, ingredients, and most importantly menus from the countries visited. There are no highly Americanized Indian buffets in the middle of the Baltic or Adriatic. I didn’t pay to sail to Vietnam to eat American Italian food . Others disagree heartedly. A group of us ate in an incredible restaurant in Saigon, also in Hue.

I’m guessing that Embers will be just another American restaurant catering to people wanting American food. It will probably be popular. I’ll hopefully see in Jun 2023. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:58 AM, shank63 said:

Sorry to see Jacques disappearing, it was my favorite of the 4 specialty restaurants.  I hope it remains on Riviera and Marina for my next cruises.

You are not alone.  Jacques has been our favorite specialty restaurant on the "O" ships since the beginning ... and for us, Red GInger is the LEAST popular.

I know that many will disagree, but we have a right to our opinion, no?  We would probably feel differently if we into Asian Fusion rather than Szechuan.

Mura

• Like 2

I have always looked upon Jacques as a homage to classic French cuisine - not what you will find today in most bistros, cafes, restaurants, in France. As long as they retain Boeuf bourguignon, sole almandine, bouillabaisse, escargot, foie gras etc., and the classic desserts, I will be happy.

The changes which pinotlover speaks of above are part of the reason we cancelled our Vista voyage to sail on Riviera instead.

Mura, I agree with your choices.

I have to admit that as long as we weren't sure that we'd have a room at all -- which we now do, thanks Bast -- I haven't considered dinner reservations. I DID think we had a lot of time, especially when we didn't know IF we'd  be on board (!🙂)  But it does seem like there is plenty of time for these considerations.

Yes, we will still miss Jacques ... But time moves on. We usually book one dinner in La Reserve but that will remain to be seen as well.

For breakfast, on tour days we've always ordered into our room (except for the time when we were in a B1 as the result of a downsell) ... and on port days, we go to the GDR.

Mura

We will also miss Jacques and though some menu items may be offered in the GDR, it it the ambience and elegance of Jacques that will also be missed. We are sailing Vista in 2023 and will certainly look at itineraries that interest us on Riviera or Marina for 2024 so we can savour Jacques as well as Red Ginger! . 

• 2 weeks later...

Still wondering why our 4 bookings ONLY refer to pre-booking Polo and Toscana. No reference to Red Ginger and Ember. 

As to breakfast: We will have Terrace, GDR and Aquamar Kitchen port side near Terrace. The Bakery near Baristas will have goodies. 

For lunch we will have GDR, Ember, Red Ginger, Terrace, Waves Grill and Aquamar Kitchen. And the Bakery.

For dinner we will have Terrace, GDR, Ember, Red Ginger, Toscana and Polo. La Reserve and Privee and the Culinary Center Dining Room too, subject to additional fees. 

Horizons for High Tea et al. 

Don't think we will starve, but am very intrigued by how they are changing reservations. 

47 minutes ago, ChadnKate said:

Still wondering why our 4 bookings ONLY refer to pre-booking Polo and Toscana. No reference to Red Ginger and Ember. 

As to breakfast: We will have Terrace, GDR and Aquamar Kitchen port side near Terrace. The Bakery near Baristas will have goodies. 

For lunch we will have GDR, Ember, Red Ginger, Terrace, Waves Grill and Aquamar Kitchen. And the Bakery.

For dinner we will have Terrace, GDR, Ember, Red Ginger, Toscana and Polo. La Reserve and Privee and the Culinary Center Dining Room too, subject to additional fees. 

Horizons for High Tea et al. 

Don't think we will starve, but am very intrigued by how they are changing reservations. 

You've probably looked at this more than I have, but, I'm pretty sure that La Reserve Wine Pairings will be in the Culinary Center Dining Room. The area where La Reserve is on the O ships will be Aquamar.