Any news on Princess dropping excursion only rule?

MX-Drew

I’m sailing with Celebrity on the 28th August and have received an email to say we can wander around ports of call on our own. I’m also sailing with Princess on the 28th September and wonder what are the chances of the rules being relaxed?

Either way we are sailing.

It depends where you are sailing.

For the Alaska cruises, for example, you can get off the ship without being on a Princess excursion.

For the UK staycations that do have port calls, only Princess excursions are allowed if you want to leave the ship.

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

It depends where you are sailing.

For the Alaska cruises, for example, you can get off the ship without being on a Princess excursion.

For the UK staycations that do have port calls, only Princess excursions are allowed if you want to leave the ship.

I’m in the U.K. on a staycation with 3 ports. 
My point is Celebrity have dropped the ship only excursion rule, so will Princess follow?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I’m in the U.K. on a staycation with 3 ports. 
My point is Celebrity have dropped the ship only excursion rule, so will Princess follow?

UK staycations...Marella and Royal Caribbean have relaxed many of their restrictions on bubble excursions and are allowing independent travel at ports. Can't post any links as its from  comments from live blogs etc. 

Edited by ohnonotmeagain
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

UK staycations...Marella and Royal Caribbean have relaxed many of their restrictions on bubble excursions and are allowing independent travel at ports. Can't post any links as its from  comments from live blogs etc. 

I know, as I have stated I'm on a Celebrity cruise and have received an email to say the restrictions have been relaxed.

My Question is, has anyone heard if Princess will do the same.

Edited by MX-Drew

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

I’m sailing with Celebrity on the 28th August and have received an email to say we can wander around ports of call on our own. I’m also sailing with Princess on the 28th September and wonder what are the chances of the rules being relaxed?

Either way we are sailing.

I have heard that it has nothing to do with the cruise line but with the ports your are visiting. Either the port will allow you to visit on your own or you must take a cruise tour. 

A few months ago some families booked a ship tour & then wondered off on there own. They were denied boarding the ship as they violated the ships policy. 

If anyone has heard anything different please post. 

Tom😀

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

I have heard that it has nothing to do with the cruise line but with the ports your are visiting. Either the port will allow you to visit on your own or you must take a cruise tour. 

A few months ago some families booked a ship tour & then wondered off on there own. They were denied boarding the ship as they violated the ships policy. 

Tom😀

This was on a Mediterranean cruise. These are Staycation Cruises around Britain with British ports with only vaccinated British people. 

23 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

That is a contradiction, it is either ships policy or it is the ports policy.

As @Gettingwarmerstates, these are all UK ports on a UK staycation cruise.

As an additional point 2 out of 3 ports on both the Celebrity cruise and the Princess cruise are the same so if it is port policy the Princess are either slow or unwilling (with profit in mind?) to pass this information on.

4 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is a contradiction, it is either ships policy or it is the ports policy.

As @Gettingwarmerstates, these are all UK ports on a UK staycation cruise.

As an additional point 2 out of 3 ports on both the Celebrity cruise and the Princess cruise are the same so if it is port policy the Princess are either slow or unwilling (with profit in mind?) to pass this information on.

It is cruise line policy with regards to UK ports, now that Scotland have lifted restrictions.

What is today may not be tomorrow. Tomorrow may be more or less restrictive. The situation changes very rapidly. As you know in the UK it is Princess shore excursions only. Guests are not permitted to go ashore on their own. Princess has not announced or hinted anything different than what they have published. No secret information known.

In the U.S. additional restrictions, vaccination, + testing + more mask wearing, have been added to deal with the delta variant. These additional requirements are until Oct 31st. Will they end at that time? Will they be extended? Only data at that time will determine what happens next. What looked like movement toward more normal cruise experiences a few weeks ago have now taken a step back. 

Edited by skynight

On 8/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, debsjc said:

Just read about RCCL changing their policy on UK excursions, that's good news.Hope Princess follow soon, so I can decide who to book with!

Too late for me - I'm already booked for September with Princess Cruises (via Imagine Cruising) and feel very aggrieved that we are not allowed to do our own thing in Belfast & Portland.  This seems very unfair as everyone on the cruise will be fully vaccinated.  Stuck with Princess Cruises Excursions are poor value for money, and plus restrictive. I do hope Princess Cruises will change their policy to be in line with RCCL.

2 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

Too late for me - I'm already booked for September with Princess Cruises (via Imagine Cruising) and feel very aggrieved that we are not allowed to do our own thing in Belfast & Portland.  This seems very unfair as everyone on the cruise will be fully vaccinated.  Stuck with Princess Cruises Excursions are poor value for money, and plus restrictive. I do hope Princess Cruises will change their policy to be in line with RCCL.

The policy is to control possible contact with unvaccinated infected individuals while on shore. It is possible for vaccinated individuals to carry and spread the virus when they return to the ship. Delta increases this possibility. This is a risk the ship wants to minimize. Think of a whole bunch of passengers confined to their cabins, some may have actually stayed on board. What is fair or unfair? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skynight said:

The policy is to control possible contact with unvaccinated infected individuals while on shore. It is possible for vaccinated individuals to carry and spread the virus when they return to the ship. Delta increases this possibility. This is a risk the ship wants to minimize. Think of a whole bunch of passengers confined to their cabins, some may have actually stayed on board. What is fair or unfair? 

What you say is true and I agree but how do you explain the number of cruise lines that have dropped the "only our excursions" policy?

3 hours ago, Mrk2868 said:

Is that a travel agent? Not allowed to post TA names on CC.

6 minutes ago, BarcoUK said:

Received an email from Princess this morning regarding 6 day Seacation on Sky 22nd September 2021: Going ashore independently now permitted.

That is the cruise before mine so I should get the email soon.

Happy days.😀

P.S. @BarcoUKThumbs up to your signature, now you need the less sugar and fewer sugar lumps.😀

Edited by MX-Drew

21 minutes ago, BarcoUK said:

Received an email from Princess this morning regarding 6 day Seacation on Sky 22nd September 2021: Going ashore independently now permitted.

We are on the cruise before and have not received an email, but we did book with a TA so it would have to come via them. However this is now on the Princess website Q&A:

1. Will I be able to go ashore? 

In accordance with health authority guidelines, fully vaccinated guests may choose to explore destinations independently, and should comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks.

Guests aged 17 years or younger who are unvaccinated sailing on Regal Princess from 30 September to 3 November and Sky Princess 5 October to 5 November on 2021, will only be permitted to go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 controls. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted.

You can pre-purchase shore excursions through Cruise Personalizer at princess.com or on board using the MedallionClass app, digital portals, or stateroom TV, subject to availability and capacity restrictions. You must follow all COVID-19-related requirements, including social distancing and mask-wearing, and stay with your cruise companions for the entire excursion. There could be additional restrictions based on local conditions. If your shore excursion is cancelled by the company or the tour operator, or if you are denied from joining the tour, your shore excursion payment will be credited to your on-board account.

If you or any members of your party refuse to comply with our COVID-19 policies and procedures, you won’t be allowed to board the ship after going ashore. We may also take other steps that, in our sole discretion, we feel are necessary to protect the health and safety of our guests and team mates. If this happens, you won’t be entitled to a refund, credit or compensation of any kind and will be responsible for all costs and fines, including (without limitation) travel expenses.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 6:57 AM, Mrk2868 said:

Princess has a price match guarantee… 

DB2C3032-B97A-46A2-8B4D-146D2E806FBC.png

On 8/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, Mrk2868 said:

So you can now go ashore independently  - good news.

• Like 1