Oasis headed for Bayonne

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

i cant wait to see it try and make it under the Verazzano Bridge .. especially lightly loaded ... that big thing gonna crash right into that bridge.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Why? They updated ship during dry dock 

Yes during drydock the smoke stack was made retractable so she would fit under bridge.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, libbismom said:

I wonder how many people driving on the bridge as Oasis approaches will be afraid that it will hit the bridge? It is difficult to judge the clearing at a distance. 

And I am trusting the engineers got the math correct for the bridge clearance when Oasis was modified and scheduled for Bayonne. Or I will be very sad when my cruise is cancelled this fall. 

These ship Captains are not Boston students who can't read height signs while driving a rented UHaul Truck under low street overpasses.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gdy0354 said:

These ship Captains are not Boston students who can't read height signs while driving a rented UHaul Truck under low street overpasses.

Also Oasis was in Cape Liberty last May doing the promotion videos and photo shots. She never had paying guest on her but at least made it to port

16 hours ago, F27TW said:

....they made it less tall ?

In a manner of speaking😉!  Actually both the Oasis and the Allure were built with retractable funnels so they could clear the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark when the ships were delivered from the shipyard.  Lowering the funnels reduced the air draft of the Oasis from 236' (72m) to under the clearance of 213' (65m) of the GB Bridge.  They also took advantage of about  another 1 foot as a result of "squat".  Squat is the ship settling in the water as a result of its forward motion and is also magnified when operating in shallower waters.

I suspect that since neither the Oasis or Allure had any itineraries that were restricted by their air draft, the mechanisms to lower the funnels were probably not used after delivery from the shipyard.  This most recent visit to the yard no doubt included overhauling of the lowering mechanisms.   The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge has a navigational clearance of 215', in any event the lowering mechanisms will surely get a regular workout.

Here's short video of the Oasis passing under the Great Belt Bridge...

• Like 7

On 8/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, F27TW said:

i cant wait to see it try and make it under the Verazzano Bridge .. especially lightly loaded ... that big thing gonna crash right into that bridge.

I'm guessing that the arrival time will correspond with low tide.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, BillB48 said:

In a manner of speaking😉!  Actually both the Oasis and the Allure were built with retractable funnels so they could clear the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark when the ships were delivered from the shipyard.  Lowering the funnels reduced the air draft of the Oasis from 236' (72m) to under the clearance of 213' (65m) of the GB Bridge.  They also took advantage of about  another 1 foot as a result of "squat".  Squat is the ship settling in the water as a result of its forward motion and is also magnified when operating in shallower waters.

I suspect that since neither the Oasis or Allure had any itineraries that were restricted by their air draft, the mechanisms to lower the funnels were probably not used after delivery from the shipyard.  This most recent visit to the yard no doubt included overhauling of the lowering mechanisms.   The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge has a navigational clearance of 215', in any event the lowering mechanisms will surely get a regular workout.

Here's short video of the Oasis passing under the Great Belt Bridge...

Navigational clearance on VZ bridge is 228.5'. 

Bayonne Bridge, since they raised the roadway, is 219.5'.

53 minutes ago, Peak city said:

Passenger ships don't need to travel under the Bayonne Bridge in order to get to the cruise port in Bayonne, so seems like they just needed to make sure Oasis could get to be under 228.5' if that is the clearance required.

I believe they raised the Bayonne Bridge for container ships going to Port Newark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peak city said:

The  figure I posted for the Narrows Bridge is the permitted navigational clearance below (air draft) which is less than the actual clearance.  The attachment is from NOAA chart for New York Lower Bay, note B refers to a further reduction in the vertical clearance when the maintenance platform is in use.

ZZBridge.JPG

18 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

The  figure I posted for the Narrows Bridge is the permitted navigational clearance below (air draft) which is less than the actual clearance.  The attachment is from NOAA chart for New York Lower Bay, note B refers to a further reduction in the vertical clearance when the maintenance platform is in use.

ZZBridge.JPG

my info is also from NOAA.gov  

image.thumb.png.888838a53dcbd47bdb097b7da672564b.png

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

Never gonna make it . .  esp since she's riding high outta the water with few people on board.     I can see the news bulletin already.  

Long Island and Staten Island are screwed if they take out the Verrazano. Traffic will be diverted through Manhattan to get to NJ or the Cross Bronx Expressway which is a nightmare on a good day. Unless you have family living on Staten Island there is no need to go there so that won't be a problem for me.

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Long Island and Staten Island are screwed if they take out the Verrazano. Traffic will be diverted through Manhattan to get to NJ or the Cross Bronx Expressway which is a nightmare on a good day. Unless you have family living on Staten Island there is no need to go there so that won't be a problem for me.

I hope the bridge is more durable than the top of the smokestacks.

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

I hope the bridge is more durable than the top of the smokestacks.

I'm sure but there might be some structural damage and at the very least they will have to close the bridge at least temporarily to investigate.   

On 8/14/2021 at 9:46 PM, jeansaussie1 said:

Yes during drydock the smoke stack was made retractable so she would fit under bridge.

Oasis stack was always retractable.  When it was built, the only way to get that ship out to the ocean from the shipyard/builder was under the Great Belt bridge in Denmark that it needed to be retracted for.  It was meant to be retracted just for that, but it's always been retractable.   Every ship in the class was built that way. It wasn't a drydock change.

Do any of you really think Royal doesn't know that the ship will fit?  Seriously?

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Oasis stack was always retractable.  When it was built, the only way to get that ship out to the ocean from the shipyard/builder was under the Great Belt bridge in Denmark that it needed to be retracted for.  It was meant to be retracted just for that, but it's always been retractable.   Every ship in the class was built that way. It wasn't a drydock change.

Do any of you really think Royal doesn't know that the ship will fit?  Seriously?

I think everyone knows it will fit under the bridge and they are just having a little fun! 

19 minutes ago, MikeKl said:

I think everyone knows it will fit under the bridge and they are just having a little fun! 

My main point was a response to the poster who said it was made retractable in drydock.  The other part was just an afterthought I posted, but they put a lot of effort into it, including measurements.

• Like 1