Has anyone boarded a cruise without the App? Website says required.....really?

5 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

Having trouble even finding the app. 

Search for Royal Caribbean -it's the first app in the iOS app store - I think the same on Android. And, no, it should not be required.

Edited by Biker19

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The app does have a min OS version for it to work - it could be your phone runs an OS too old for it.

Yup you need at least iOS 12.1.  Not sure of Android 

Edited by JessyCruises

16 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

Having trouble even finding the app.  All we can find is MYRCL for crew. Frustrating.

I got the same message when I checked in for my Sept. 5 sail and I ignored and completed the process.  Only waiting for my tags.

9 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

You are required to download the mobile app prior to sailing

• Access your digital boarding pass
  • Answer the health questions on the app the day before your sailing
  • Board safely, quickly, and with confidence
App StoreGoogle Play

On the blog it says this:

"<RC blog> has confirmed that there will be assistance available for guests who do not have a smartphone or device, so you will not be denied boarding if you do not have the app."

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

They are clearly trying to encourage the app because it does make life easier for everyone.  From what I've read you can still show up without a phone and you will get on but it will take longer.  

For example many things need reservations now.  In the app it takes a few seconds.  Without the app you'll need to get assistance to make reservations.  

People with the app will clearly have a major advantage over guests without the app but it's your choice to be app-less.

• Like 2

The muster drill video is on the app and that's how they know you've watched it. Any dinner or show reservations will be on the app as well. Plus all of the pre-boarding safety questions. I really hope this all stays in place after Covid, it we EVER get there!

• Like 1

I'll admit I previously was one who resisted using my phone and apps for many things, but quickly learned how much easier my busy retirement life could be!

Recently did B2B sailings on ADV and the OV test cruise and using the RC app made my cruising experience much more enjoyable!  I found the app very useful for the muster drill, my onboard account with real-time charges, the itinerary (where will we be tomorrow!), and the My Calendar feature for reserving and changing my dinner reservations & shows was very valuable.  Also realized I could click on events in the Daily Calendar (Cruise Compass) to add classes, trivia, etc to my M.C. as a reminder of things I wanted to do.

• Like 1

you don't need it,  it's more of a convenience thing.

I traveled on 2 cruises and did not use my phone for anything. I needed to truly disconnect.

-remember you can view your itinerary on paper or TV. You can make reservations using a phone or TV. you can check in by showing them your ID.

So it is really up to you. If you want an easier time I would download the app.

4 hours ago, sailor05 said:

The muster drill video is on the app and that's how they know you've watched it. Any dinner or show reservations will be on the app as well. Plus all of the pre-boarding safety questions. I really hope this all stays in place after Covid, it we EVER get there!

The muster drill video is also on the cabin TV. That's also how the crew knows you viewed the muster drill when you go to the muster station for check in.  

12 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

you don't need it,  it's more of a convenience thing.

I traveled on 2 cruises and did not use my phone for anything. I needed to truly disconnect.

-remember you can view your itinerary on paper or TV. You can make reservations using a phone or TV. you can check in by showing them your ID.

So it is really up to you. If you want an easier time I would download the app.

Also the muster drill video can be seen on the cabin TV. 

• Like 1

I'm sitting by the pool.  Ask my wife what she wants for dinner.  Let's see the menu.  Boom, pull it up.  Oh, this is the night we don't like.  You want to go to Windjammer or a specialty restaurant.  She says, lets go to Chops.  Boom, make the reservations and never leave the chair.  

I get people not wanting your phone, but let's be real, this is the 21st century, and I don't want to go searching the ship, for all that info, when I can do it from my chair.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1