Home LFT testing

Bin man

Are people doing their own test weekly before cruising ? Is it a good idea to do these? Any help would be appreciated. Will p wnd o give us guidance when the international cruises start ? 24/9 Especially about the return testing what is expected of their passengers ! 

26 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Are people doing their own test weekly before cruising ? Is it a good idea to do these? Any help would be appreciated. Will p wnd o give us guidance when the international cruises start ? 24/9 Especially about the return testing what is expected of their passengers ! 

We have to do the LFT for work twice a week but I think it is fair and accurate to say that they are not as accurate as a PCR test so can give a false sense of security and are only as good as the person administering them (I.e. yourself). I think I would be tempted to test in the run up to the cruise for my own peace of mind, but would be aware that they are not guaranteed to be spot on re results. (If this makes any sense).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Im sailing on Britannia on 25th September, am hoping they’ll give us guidance about what the expectations are for returning re PCR testing, logistics  etc, as there just doesn’t seem to be any communication about this for the international sailings. I notice that TUI/ Marella have put their guidance up already. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bin man said:

I did one every day for about a week before the Iona maiden 😂😂 just to put my own mind at rest! Was still petrified when I had it at the port though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Depends on if you are working. But if you are retired like us and like many passengers,  I would play it safe and isolate yourselves for at least the week before the cruise. 

Testing will tell you if you got covid,  isolation will stop you getting it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bin man said:

Yes my wife and I are, totally precautionary , at least I'll have peace of mind on the way there 😀  

I have been home testing twice a week for 2 weeks and sort of self isolated several days ago as I hope to cruise on Saturday. Two home tests to go then the dreaded one in the terminal. Note that according to NHS lateral flow tests have a high accuracy for positive results with false positives ranging between 1 in 1000 and 3 in 10,000. somewhat less for false negatives. P&O also give you a PCR test if you test positive at the terminal so you get a second chance so to speak.

as for cruises to foreign ports, the situation remains fluid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've asked P&O about testing 3 days before returning to the UK on their Autumn cruises and  after having to chase them a number of times having got replies like 'we will take all precautions on board'  they finally admitted that they don't know as 'the situation is fluid and its too early to say'. Why are they selling these cruises if they don't know? I wanted to know what would happen at Southampton if you tested positive 3 days before returning home. I don't much fancy a quarantine hotel at £4000 a go.

29 minutes ago, Rebjon said:

I've asked P&O about testing 3 days before returning to the UK on their Autumn cruises and  after having to chase them a number of times having got replies like 'we will take all precautions on board'  they finally admitted that they don't know as 'the situation is fluid and its too early to say'. Why are they selling these cruises if they don't know? I wanted to know what would happen at Southampton if you tested positive 3 days before returning home. I don't much fancy a quarantine hotel at £4000 a go.

Why would you be in a quarantine hotel? 

On 8/17/2021 at 11:32 PM, davecttr said:

I have been home testing twice a week for 2 weeks and sort of self isolated several days ago as I hope to cruise on Saturday. Two home tests to go then the dreaded one in the terminal. Note that according to NHS lateral flow tests have a high accuracy for positive results with false positives ranging between 1 in 1000 and 3 in 10,000. somewhat less for false negatives. P&O also give you a PCR test if you test positive at the terminal so you get a second chance so to speak.

as for cruises to foreign ports, the situation remains fluid

We have been doing one, or two a week since our first staycation cruise. We did one today and will do another about Tuesday and another on Friday. We go on Iona on Saturday. Next week we won't self isolate, but will avoid busy places.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Why would you be in a quarantine hotel? 

My understanding is the as long as you haven't been to a red list country a positive test would mean you quarantine at home.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

My understanding is the as long as you haven't been to a red list country a positive test would mean you quarantine at home.

Can you tell me where I can find this in writing from someone official because I've searched and can't find this.

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It is on the GOV.com website.

I've been looking on the gov.uk site below for a couple of weeks but can't see anything about returning home. Could you point me to where it is?

Thanks                                                                                                                                         

Guidance

Coronavirus (COVID-19): international cruise ship travel                                               

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

You go home! You only have to go to a quarantine hotel on return from a red list country. 

How do you get home if you’ve travelled down (a considerable distance) by coach? I can’t find anything about those circumstances.

27 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

How do you get home if you’ve travelled down (a considerable distance) by coach? I can’t find anything about those circumstances.

I can't find anything about this either and I've been searching for a couple of weeks. P&O have been no help and I can't find anything on the gov.uk website.

21 minutes ago, Rebjon said:

I can't find anything about this either and I've been searching for a couple of weeks. P&O have been no help and I can't find anything on the gov.uk website.

Look on the gov website for the traffic light system and requirements coming back from countries of different coloured areas.  Or perhaps even look up quarantine hotels.  Rules are not specific to cruising, so will not find it there.

You will need travel insurance so perhaps you should ask them of they cover the cost of individual transport home.

Edited by tring

55 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Most cruise lines seem to be arranging private transport back home for anyone who tests positive whilst on board, or at the terminal before boarding. I don't know if this is definitely the case for P&O. I saw that one of the cruise lines in America had used a private jet to transport someone home over there. 

Just had a look at the site for day 2 tests see the firm who p and o use start from £79  for a day 2 pcr test not cheap . Wonder if p and o can do a bulk buy for their customers could use any unspent obc 

Having just returned home recently from a Cunard seacation I recommend everyone takes paper copies of Vaccination proof as when at the covid centre where they ask for proof there is no or very poor wi fi signal. The woman taking ours said I wished everyone provided paper copies because it is so easy to check as getting a signal and checking on smart phones was causing so much trouble and queues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Having just returned home recently from a Cunard seacation I recommend everyone takes paper copies of Vaccination proof as when at the covid centre where they ask for proof there is no or very poor wi fi signal. The woman taking ours said I wished everyone provided paper copies because it is so easy to check as getting a signal and checking on smart phones was causing so much trouble and queues.

Not a tech expert, but I have downloaded copies of ours onto my phone, and they exist in the My Files document on my phone, which I assume is available even if you have no wi fi or phone signal, or am I wrong?

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not a tech expert, but I have downloaded copies of ours onto my phone, and they exist in the My Files document on my phone, which I assume is available even if you have no wi fi or phone signal, or am I wrong?

You are correct. However,  even though I have copies on my phone, I'm an old fashioned chap, and also have paper copies.

• Like 1

We had paper vaccination certificates on A4 paper sent to us by NHS and our passports ready to check against and it took seconds to check before we were moved on to the next section. The woman said I wish everyone was like that it would be so more easy and quick as many were holding up the queue while getting out of there car wandering around trying to get a signal for their phones.

• Like 3