U.S. CDC asks travelers at high risk of severe COVID-19 to avoid cruises

AFKEL

43 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

But if you are vaccinated you are at "low" risk for "serious" illness.  Seems CDC is practicing "double-talk."

How so?  The way I read it, they're just stating the obvious for those who can't seem to figure it out on their own.  If you have other medical conditions that would increase the effects from a COVID infection (i.e. cause a serious illness), than best to stay off a cruise ship.  I guess the same would hold true for the flu.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With delta, their recommendation makes sense. But going on a cruise that is fully vaccinated and fully tested definitely helps mitigate that risk.  For cruise lines that don’t require vaccines and/or don’t test the vaccinated (though most have been changing that policy) the risk is definitely greater, even if you are vaccinated yourself. 

• Like 2

There are additional recommendations: 

Key Information for Cruise Ship Travelers

• The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads easily between people in close quarters aboard ships, and the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high. Outbreaks of COVID-19 have been reported on cruise ships.
  • CDC recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.
  • People with an increased risk of severe illness should also avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, regardless of vaccination status.
  • People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status.
  • Along with testing, passengers who are not fully vaccinated should self-quarantine for 7 days after cruise travel, even if they test negative. If they do not get tested, they should self-quarantine for 10 days after cruise travel.  
  • People on cruise ships should wear a mask to keep their nose and mouth covered when in shared spaces. While CDC’s Mask Order is not being enforced on cruise ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks indoors on board the ship.

Here is the link to the CDC site: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

With known high risk factors and/or comorbidities - consult with your own personal/family doctor (PCP) and have a chat with your insurance providers about coverage & exclusions - pack extra personal meds/prescriptions; and, be prepared to use tele-medicine in the "unlikely" event of being infected, as others around and you can remain asymptomatic even after disembarkation.  

What CDC issued is, advisory guidance - I would expect them to continue to review, adopt and issue updated as data continued to be collected and analyzed.  The burden shifting again and rolled into the cruise lines' lawn now.  Who knows ... and there are several very disappointed folks in our own extended friends and family circles that have been closely following the development, and they are eager to resume cruising, as safely as possible - probably, given what isn't known yet, not going to be anytime soon.  

• Like 2

Airplanes are worse, the only difference is that after 3 days if you are positive, everyone has dispersed & not traceable. On a cruise ship you are all there together & can be traced. Therefore it just looks like cruises are worse than any other form of travel/iteraction.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ew101 said:

No, no reference - just saying in general. I've seen what people have done on airplanes (stuffing used tissues  in pouch pocket, changing diapers on seats, getting sick). Not scientific at all.

Thanks for the advice, CDC.  Now which line is the shortest to board?

I guess you can call me a fluffy cruiser. I’m a bigger guy. I got vaccinated, I wore my mask dutifully since day 1. I avoided public gatherings, meetings…did the zoom thing, did everything I was told. 

But I won’t live in fear. We take risks everyday but do things to mitigate those risks. For covid that means masks, washing hands frequently, getting the vaccine. I feel I’ve mitigated my risk. 

Cruising has never been a favorite activity of the CDC.  Before covid, it was norovirus. Run for the hills!  But if we all do what we can to mitigate our risks together, I am ready to cruise on a ship that is fully vaccinated (thank you NCL). 

Now someone pass me a glass of Veuve and let’s roll. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, victory2020 said:

No, no reference - just saying in general. I've seen what people have done on airplanes (stuffing used tissues  in pouch pocket, changing diapers on seats, getting sick). Not scientific at all.

But airlines are “supposedly” disinfecting/cleaning  after every flight.

• Haha 1

This is another blow to the industry. Sure, those of us who love cruising will still travel, but to suggest that even with a vaccination you should refrain from cruising if you have any health issues is a red flag for many. I suspect this may have something to do with the elderly lady who died from Carnival Vista. Likely shorts are going to do well again next week.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidance for travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 to recommend they avoid cruise ships, regardless of vaccination status. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/08/20/cruises-and-covid-19-cdc-updates-guidance-high-risk-travelers/8218346002/

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sure, those of us who love cruising will still travel, but to suggest that even with a vaccination you should refrain from cruising if you have any health issues is a red flag for many.

Haven't the "experts" always poo-poo'd cruises?  I recall terms like "petre' dishes" and the like.  We never paid much attention to the fun police in the past and this sailor isn't about to now!

This is another blow to the industry. Sure, those of us who love cruising will still travel, but to suggest that even with a vaccination you should refrain from cruising if you have any health issues is a red flag for many. I suspect this may have something to do with the elderly lady who died from Carnival Vista. Likely shorts are going to do well again next week.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidance for travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 to recommend they avoid cruise ships, regardless of vaccination status. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/08/20/cruises-and-covid-19-cdc-updates-guidance-high-risk-travelers/8218346002/

Yep.

A couple of converging factors that have combined to really throw a monkey wrench into the cruise industry resurgence.

The Delta variant, it appears from most reports, has a massive transmission rate for 'both' unvaccinated and vaccinated.  That's become a real gut punch.

Also, the efficacy 'wane factor' at 6-months seems to be a threshold for many and that those with other underlying conditions may even have a quicker 'wane factor.'  The studies say different things, but it is clear that the expected 8-month 'booster' is a generalized date across a large population and that many might need it at 6-months while others are good for 10 or more months.

The 'regardless of vaccination status' avoidance is to stay off cruise ships.  It looks like that will also apply to 'masking' on the cruise ships (a recommendation, not a regulation) even if 100% vaccinated.

What a mess.  How the 'big 3' can continue to file their 10Q quarterlies in SEC compliance with their 'going concern Covid' capabilities is beyond me.  There is nothing left to borrow against.  If customer deposits ever start to 'wane,' billions across the 'big 3' will crimp their liquidity capabilities severely.  Further, their lending covenants, with numerous waivers during the pandemic, don't have extended dates into mid to late 2022.  That's a problem.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Haven't the "experts" always poo-poo'd cruises?  I recall terms like "petre' dishes" and the like.  We never paid much attention to the fun police in the past and this sailor isn't about to now!

You may not be paying attention, I'm not paying attention, most CC members aren't paying attention ~ But Johnny Public is paying attention  (based on what I can tell in terms of bookings anyway). The entire world is much more focused on health risks than they were in the past. If you don't think this 'warning' from the CDC is going to keep some people off cruise ships you are living in LaLaland. Of course, some people will still travel, but news like this hurts the industry. 

I've been monitoring a balcony cabin Alaska sailing late september/early october. Inventory has not changed in a month (cabins aren't selling). Pricing is down to $900 pp with all 4 perks. I suspect this will drop more. Gem is even cheaper. We have also looked at Breakaway out of New York for same time period. Johnny public just isn't booking.

image.png

image.png

10 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

What a mess.  How the 'big 3' can continue to file their 10Q quarterlies in SEC compliance with their 'going concern Covid' capabilities is beyond me.  There is nothing left to borrow against.  If customer deposits ever start to 'wane,' billions across the 'big 3' will crimp their liquidity capabilities severely.  Further, their lending covenants, with numerous waivers during the pandemic, don't have extended dates into mid to late 2022.  That's a problem.

We think alike. The filings are laughable. Short trading is lucrative. Gut punch indeed.

If you don't think this 'warning' from the CDC is going to keep some people off cruise ships you are living in LaLaland.

You wouldn't be the first to suggest that I'm living in LaLaland.  There are worse places to live.  Some here seem to be living in "doomsville," "disastertown" and "nightmareland."  It's happier over here in LaLaland (or, as I like to refer to it, the "sunny side of the street").  In the past, Railroads were the big industry and they went bankrupt all the time.  We still have trains.  Later, the airlines became king, and they went bankrupt all the time.  We still have airplanes.  We'll always have cruise ships.  The names may change, but those ships aren't going to be sunk any time soon. 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1