Oasis Test Cruise begins when Henri arrives...thoughts/concerns?

If you watched NBC News tonight you'd think Henri was Armageddon. Don't get me wrong, any storm of this nature needs to be taken seriously but as life long New Englander I hate watching this drama. Good luck. There are worse places to be waiting out a storm than on Oasis.

4 minutes ago, Big_G said:

If you watched NBC News tonight you'd think Henri was Armageddon. Don't get me wrong, any storm of this nature needs to be taken seriously but as life long New Englander I hate watching this drama. Good luck. There are worse places to be waiting out a storm than on Oasis.

What precautions have  you done to prepare for the storm?

• Like 1

I've been on the Anthem once where the Captain announced there would be very rough seas that night as we were leaving Cape Liberty. So we left about six, sailed around the Statue of Liberty, and then headed out to sea. He further said that after we passed the Verazano bridge, he would drop anchor, and we would remain there thru the night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The question would be where would they overnight?  If it's bad, they don't want to be docked and they don't want to go under the bridge to go out to sea.  Can they ride it out in the Upper Bay or Hudson?

Unless there are significant winds over 60 knots, which is not forecast for that area, then they are perfectly fine at the dock.  Put extra lines out, have the engines on standby, use thrusters and pods to hold the ship against the dock if lines get too tight.

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Only 10% of the capacity of the first 2 sailings. Probably only need 150-200 people.

I wish it was a max of 10%, but it's actually a min:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

"The minimum number of required volunteer passengers for each simulated voyage must be at least 10% of the maximum number of passengers permitted onboard..."

But my theory is that they won't go too far past that 10% as it would cost them more to feed all the passengers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The question would be where would they overnight?  If it's bad, they don't want to be docked and they don't want to go under the bridge to go out to sea.  Can they ride it out in the Upper Bay or Hudson?

Local forecast calls for showers today Monmouth County).  It's 6:45 and hardly any wind or rain at this time.  However, the Yankee-Minn game has been postponed.

Looks good for next week with temps in the 90s for Tuesday-Wednesday,

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

What precautions have  you done to prepare for the storm?

By priority:

1. Bought beer

2. Topped off the gas generator

3. Brought in lawn furniture

4. Tied down the grills

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VaTech8912 said:

Yes, they are departing at 7pm

Thanks for the reminder. I was a little late and jumped on the web cam at about 7:20, and got a screen grab (that I then forgot to post until just now). 🙃

image.png.e72dd69c67671f30700dd78c63c94496.png

• Like 1