Advice on itenarary

I am planning our family holiday for next year (fingers crossed Covid goes away) and all goes to plan. I have made the following plans but after reading a couple of reviews I'm slightly concerned on what we have planned:

Flying into Miami from Heathrow and staying 3 nights in Miami.

7 nights on Symphony

1 night in Miami

7 nights on Explorer 

2 nights in Miami before home.

The cruises are booked but I'm thinking should we have booked b2b on Symphony. We initially were going to do 7 nights in Miami but saw a cracking deal on Explorer that worked out much more cost effective and we thought it would be nice to experience a different ship. However after reading some reviews, I'm a little concerned. Is there anything I should be concerned about.

I think you're better off on the second cruise on the Explorer.  You don't really want to spend 7 nights in Miami when you could be on a fabulous cruise but I guess that's easy for me to say.  I say 7 days on a ship is much better than 7 days in a city packed full of people and traffic that will drive you mad.

Yeah I did think that as the money we would spend on a hotel and spends, we would probably prefer a second  cruise. I think my worry was going from a big ship to a little ship. I've read some of the reviews of Explorer which haven't been the best but the age of the ship doesn't really bother me really. We have done a couple of cruises before but I wouldnt say we are experienced cruisers and I love reading trip reports but when I have read them, it seems that people seem to stay on the same ship so I was thinking should we have done that. I'm probably thinking a bit too much into it! 

I am not sure what your concern is, but, We sailed on Explorer in 1/2020. I was a bit concerned because reviews at the time sounded like the ship was in bad shape as it was scheduled to go in for refurbishment in March or April.  I do not know if this happened.   My family found nothing really wrong on that ship.  It was beautiful, well maintained considering the use it had gotten (yes there was some wear on it) and the crew was great.  We had a great time in the ABC’s.   I have started to take reviews with a grain of salt.  Check out the differences and see if you can live with them and be satisfied.  If not switch.  Just my thoughts.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking a b2b would be so much more relaxing.  Compare the cost of the 2 nights in Miami, plus food, plus transportation, and compare it to another 7 nights on the Symphony.

The big downside to me is packing, getting settled in the cabin, repacking/unpacking for 2 nights in a hotel, repacking for the second cruise, unpacking, getting settled in the cabin.  

I think your plan is great. We often do back to backs and then  jump from ship to ship.  Benefit to a second different cruise is that it presents different entertainment opportunities.  Plus, one night on land will allow you to visit any shops you may need to replenish your supplies.

Suggestion for your one night hotel: pack just in a carry on the things you will need for the one day in Miami so that you don't have to open the larger cases.

Personally, I would have booked a B2B on the Symphony especially if the itineraries were different e.g. Eastern and Western Caribbean. I would hate the thought of having to keep packing and unpacking although Gadaboutgirl makes a good suggestion with regards to just using a carry on bag for the single night in Miami. We prefer the Oasis class ships to any other (the bigger the better lol) and Symphony became our favourite when we sailed on her in 2018 when she was brand new. I would also prefer to have the 3 nights in Miami altogether at the end, kind of like a mini holiday before the long flight home. JMO however, I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time doing what you’ve chosen. Happy cruising

Stick with the Explorer. People are always more apt to post a bad review than they are to post a good one. People love to complain. I have cruised on many ships where previous cruisers made it sound like the ship was ready for the scrap yard. On many of the cruises, I found nothing worth complaining about. If you look for it, you'll always find something that is not perfect. If you go with the intention of having a great vacation, you'll end up having one.