Telehealth Testing with BinaxNOW

So we received our six pack and confirmed the expiration date of 1/5/22.  We have two cruises booked this year, for September and November for two of us.  As an experiment, I had my hubby do one of the monitored tests yesterday.   Very easy to do from the eMed site, which has a link for "start testing now" or such.  Clicked it and was in que for nine minutes.  First proctor came online but we could not hear him, just saw the chat.  So he disconnected and put us in a priority que.  Within minutes, new proctor and no issues (all of this was done on a laptop).  He was instructed to open the box, etc.  Took maybe a minute.  Then he told hubby to wait 15 minutes without disturbing the test.  Fifteen minutes later, a new proctor came online and looked at the card, but we could already tell it was negative.  This was a huge relief as both hubby and I tested positive for COVID in mid August (just before my Allure cruise).  So now we wait until September 16th when we will use two of the tests for our Mariner cruise the next day, if there are delays in getting PCR results from CVS or Royal changes test requirements to two days before cruise.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kalajori said:

If I order the two kits from Optum for $69.99, can both my husband  and I each use one? So stressful as we leave on September 13. CVS and Walgreens have no availability at all this week. Thanks. 
Joanmarie

Yes.  You just both need to download the Navica app separately. 

Edited by RosieRoo

1 minute ago, RosieRoo said:
8 minutes ago, kalajori said:

If I order the two kits from Optum for $69.99, can both my husband  and I each use one? So stressful as we leave on September 13. CVS and Walgreens have no availability at all this week. Thanks. 
Joanmarie

Yes

Yes you can. Just download the Navica app for each of you, or go to emeds.com to create an account for the test. It's been confirmed by other posters here that it can be used by 2 people. Each needs to create your own account.  

Mine will arrive today.  I would have wanted 4 ready so we each had a back up.  The grandson was possibly exposed at school this week.  We are having a masked family funeral this weekend.  I’ll have him use one before we go.  In other words I would think most of us can find a use for the other tests.   Now I can use the extras for peace of mind in other situations.  Even if not I’ll consider this the price of cruising during a pandemic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WyKnott said:

Has anyone who've done the at-home tests had trouble getting an appointment to be proctored when you need it? I've heard with the demand, that could get backed up like the rapid tests at CVS and Walgreens.

We did one yesterday.  No appointment needed.  Just entered the app and had to wait nine minutes (this was around 6:45 p.m. on a Thursday).  So I would say no worries.  These tests are monitored, but it is not by a healthcare provider so I don't think you will have any issues.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WyKnott said:

Has anyone who've done the at-home tests had trouble getting an appointment to be proctored when you need it? I've heard with the demand, that could get backed up like the rapid tests at CVS and Walgreens.

You sometime have to wait 15 minutes in the que, but it's not really an appointment. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ryano said:

Those aren't accepted as they aren't monitored.

It is these below right?  These aren't accepted by RCI. Has to be the monitored AG card test. There are only two vendors at the moment. eMed and the Optum store

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-antigen-self-test-2-tests-for-serial-testing-prodid-550147

Yep, you're correct.

I was thinking 'outside the cruise box' as this has become a new, extra precaution tool for those of us visiting family (kids, grandkids, parents, etc.) before we leave for them and us.

Again, you're definitely correct re: the eMed procedure that makes it 'monitored' in order to get the qualifying document.

Re: in advance, or just to be sure, pre cruise, and if not needed for documentation, a good source for 'just the test' for one's own piece of mind.

1 hour ago, kalajori said:

Joanmarie

That's what I did and from everything I've read, yes.  

Mine was just delivered 12 noon so no even 24 hours from ordering to delivery (about 22 hours).  It has expiration date of Oct 4 21 with the extension to Jan 4 22.  Our next cruise is Nov 28 21.  

Edited by BND

Okay, I've read most of this thread but I'm looking for a step by step walkthrough, from the very beginning.  I bought from Optum.  Do you download the Navica first or go the emed site first or what?    

14 minutes ago, BND said:

Do you download the Navica first or go the emed site first or what?    

May be other ways, but here's what I did: Download the app, when ready to test, click ready to test in app. It directs you to emed to login (same login). You get in a queue for a proctor and they'll tell you what to do. They give good instructions. 

I used my eMed results to board today, no problems. They just checked the date of test, name, results.  Super easy IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruizzing said:

May be other ways, but here's what I did: Download the app, when ready to test, click ready to test in app. It directs you to emed to login (same login). You get in a queue for a proctor and they'll tell you what to do. They give good instructions. 

I used my eMed results to board today, no problems. They just checked the date of test, name, results.  Super easy IMO.

App on my phone and emed on my laptop.  I can't imagine doing it all on my phone.  I found a couple of okay yt videos, but the vast majority were about just home testing, not using the telemed as they were made when the test first came out.  With the talk about possibility of a bad test(not working correctly) I'm going to order two more so we have backups.  Thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

Straight forward video of each step.

That's one of the two I watched. It was better than another one, but he edited out some stuff like no mention of the navica app.  The other one I watched had the proctor asking for the camera to be pointing at the test and the persons face, among a couple of other things, but the overall video wasn't as good.

Edited by BND

4 minutes ago, vegas7df said:

I know each person needs the NAVICA app, but does each person need an Emed login as well? Or can one family have the login and used by all family members. 

Thank you

When you purchase from eMed they ask for the names of all participants.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

When you purchase from eMed they ask for the names of all participants.  

eMed asking for that information has no bearing on the usage of the tests.  You have sets of 6 tests and enter 3 names in eMed, for example. eMed creates the prescription that authorizes the PURCHASE of the tests, which is separate from the test results being sent to the test taker.

Accounts with people names are set up in the application (Navica).  6 different people can be registered to use your 6 tests.

Edited by LadyShiva

Question so my just delivered kits have an expiration of 10/5/21 with a lot number of 195-100. I need to take these tests on 11/5/21. I’ve read that certain lot numbers have new expiration date but Abbott says they are 195-200. Are my $150 in tests no good?

6 hours ago, lazydayz said:

So we received our six pack and confirmed the expiration date of 1/5/22. 

How did you confirm the 1/5/22 date?  Mine has a lot date 0f 2/10/21 and expiration date of 10/5/21.  But according to information online, the expiration date has been extended to one year so mine should be good to 2/10/22.  Am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Question so my just delivered kits have an expiration of 10/5/21 with a lot number of 195-100. I need to take these tests on 11/5/21. I’ve read that certain lot numbers have new expiration date but Abbott says they are 195-200. Are my $150 in tests no good?

There’s also an Abbott Expiration Date extension letter for part # 195-000, so I expect there might be a similar one for your 195-100 kits, but I haven’t found it yet.
Here’s the link to the 195-000 Part Numbers:

https://www.health.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Webpage Updates/COVID-19_BinaxNOW_Product_Expiry_Extension.pdf

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

How did you confirm the 1/5/22 date?  Mine has a lot date 0f 2/10/21 and expiration date of 10/5/21.  But according to information online, the expiration date has been extended to one year so mine should be good to 2/10/22.  Am I missing something?

It’s not technically a full year. As of right now the date is extended by 3 months. If you look up your lot number in the list it will show 10/5/21 expiration has been extended to 1/5/22.