Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

On 9/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, TommyD3 said:

Just learned last month after over 150 Celebrity cruises that the survey software converts any rating of 8 or less to a zero !!!! ABSURD !!!

On my recent Apex sailing, concierge specifically mentioned that 8 = negative, 9 = neutral, and 10 is the only rating that matters. Crazy but that's what they told me

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

That works..but by then it's a bit late...

I  have diabetic testing  to remind me I am going off target..but on a cruise it's hard to be perfect, even with walking and the gym.  Just do my best without feeling deprived or out of control!

I agree.   I'm sure I put on weight even though I've been doing my walking.    If I did I will work it off when I get home until I get back to normal. 

Diabetic testing is really important to you and I'm sure difficult to keep in check if you don't watch it.   Definitely too much food. 

43 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Please tell Connie and Sylvia that Anne, Andy, Amanda and James say hello....we miss them!!!!!!

We missed them so much we're doing a 5 day on the Summit in November.  We'd love to surprise them, but I'm pretty sure they'll have them manifest, and how many Abby & Beth G's can there be?  (Also I can't put that I'm going to Miami for a cruise on Facebook, because Daniel the bartender might see it).

4 hours ago, brockmom said:

It certainly was about 10 yrs ago when we did a stay on the island. We both remember the steak we ordered was like a small roast beef when it came on the plate. Lol. What the heck were we going to do with that ! 
we stayed at an all inclusive resort so no doggie bag was needed! 😉 

Recent reviews though on trip advisor sounds like they have slipped ! 
😊

We stopped going the last few times  in Aruba, b/c  the surrounding area started to be "seedy ". But it was fun with a small group...great food and service, large portions, excellent beef and other choices....and guitar entertainment.  Dh liked the cigar bar across the street Garufo(?)  Also enjoyed the  French Restaurant and another steak place.( forgot the names) . We never went to restaurant on the beach..not crazy about the idea of eating on the sand,...despite good reviews!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Dinner 9/20

09E1CB7E-8CA4-4FE8-86B6-8635A8852180.thumb.jpeg.8a1b4784e6fa2d88cd3b2c1d0ea99a29.jpeg

F1446F48-FF56-4208-8189-0DC9612E2E52.thumb.jpeg.344621e1603d1a15ec70c646f996e7ea.jpeg

B3CF6430-5F1C-453D-AD13-991548499E8A.thumb.jpeg.e366d3959f3a6675a7c84b03bdacacb5.jpeg

English Pea and Crab 

B2B15389-FFE6-4FE6-8997-9D9D39072EC0.thumb.jpeg.8b217f24b8f9feef9258aa37e0851a67.jpeg

Broccoli Soup

AE785016-23F3-437F-BA62-895907583DEC.thumb.jpeg.cb7e24961de4d6264011cedf4741bd5e.jpeg

Salmon Carpaccio - best starter I have had. 

781FA881-2095-4C34-A0FC-6F7E695FCCF5.thumb.jpeg.5a8c93303d19e70c77a836f550263500.jpeg

Black Sea Bass

A21EC143-46A3-42F3-9228-8DBF8208C14C.thumb.jpeg.16cad6908f7fd0024ad3427f46f8ca45.jpeg

Guinea Hen - Iain said it isn’t a guinea hen but a Cornish Game hen.   Guinea hen have a totally different size snd shape. 

810ECD8B-C4FB-42A8-8594-1002CEFB01FA.thumb.jpeg.7f677a1de4cf2fd9f3a55abe4131872e.jpeg

Cherry Jubilee 

Oh my my my...... .this  meal would put me over the edge!  The  pea and crab, soup and sea bass alone...what a great meal! I would even have to taste the cherries jubilee...  Hope they have  some of these choices on Reflection in January..our first time in a suite. My mouth is watering!

I  try to do my best with my type 2 diabetes..trying to put  neg off side effects as long as I can,  and  the need to use insulin. I test often and wear a monitor a few times a yr to see how my food intake affects my blood sugar values..amazing technology.  We like to walk..not as far as you go,  also bike and I garden and swim.  We miss  going to the gym since Covid but do some  weights at home...not the same.  My fav is the leg press..may try the gym at our Fl community if it is sparsely used...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Oh my my my...... .this  meal would put me over the edge!  The  pea and crab, soup and sea bass alone...what a great meal! I would even have to taste the cherries jubilee...  Hope they have  some of these choices on Reflection in January..our first time in a suite. My mouth is watering!

I  try to do my best with my type 2 diabetes..trying to put  neg off side effects as long as I can,  and  the need to use insulin. I test often and wear a monitor a few times a yr to see how my food intake affects my blood sugar values..amazing technology.  We like to walk..not as far as you go,  also bike and I garden and swim.  We miss  going to the gym since Covid but do some  weights at home...not the same.  My fav is the leg press..may try the gym at our Fl community if it is sparsely used...

Sounds great.   The  Black Sea Bass was fantastic.   It came with shiitake potstickers  and green beans and a wonderful broth.  

It's funny how tastes vary.   A lady a table over ordered it and when the waiter asked about it she said it wasn't to her tasted.   They insisted on bringing her something else and she had a Filet that looked to be HUGE.    She complemented the waitress on the stead and how well she handled her dish she didn't like   

Just now, TravelBluebird said:

We haven’t had a chance to try Aqua Spa yet! 

Russ and I would love to meet you and Iain; we’ll have to try and figure out a good time!

Definitely.    We are almost always walking on the track between 10:30 and 12:30

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pre-tied.  Just our preference.   Tongue and Cheek --   I would compare it to a woman wearing falsie instead of the natural look.  They just don't look natural.

One tie site explains it like this -- (but remember they are selling Bow Ties)

Are pre-tied bow ties acceptable?

Pre-tied bow ties look pre-tied and lack the character of a self-tie. The pre-tied bow tie is suitable for children, and for those who lack or no longer have the dexterity to tie and adjust bow ties for themselves. We don't recommend the pre-tied bow tie, even as a “starter” bow tie.

Hi Jim

Thats ‘Bow tie’ snobbery they are selling.😏

You often get it on P&O cruises over here,,,,,they sit there with a suit on that’s too big or small probably their fathers de-mob suit,,,,,never seen the laundry in it’s life

A shirt collar 3 times too big,,,,,but hey!! They tie their own bow tie.😃

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

Thats ‘Bow tie’ snobbery they are selling.😏

You often get it on P&O cruises over here,,,,,they sit there with a suit on that’s too big or small probably their fathers de-mob suit,,,,,never seen the laundry in it’s life

A shirt collar 3 times too big,,,,,but hey!! They tie their own bow tie.😃

Sure that it is a personal choice.    I prefer a self tie as well as I would never wear a clip on regular tie preferring to tie my own with a Windsor Knot.

I don't judge other and say we should each accept other's choices.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sure that it is a personal choice.    I prefer a self tie as well as I would never wear a clip on regular tie preferring to tie my own with a Windsor Knot.

I don't judge other and say we should each accept other's choices.  

Hi Jim

I agree,,,my granddaughter wears a clip on tie for school,I use a Windsor Knot.

My description of Black Tie snobbery and an example was meant to be taken lightly.Hence the smiling emojis.

I would always accept others choices and opinions.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

Jim, or any X veterans:

Other than Lumiere for suite pax, do Celebrity ships have any upscale lunch venues where you can  sit and get unhurried lunch table service with  at least a partial ocean view ( inside or outside, with or without an upcharge)?

I will be in a Sky Suite on Edge, first X cruise, in November.  I am not much of a breakfast eater ( usually just get something light delivered to the suite preceded by my coffee) and instead prefer a calm, sit-down, unhurried early 3-course lunch. I have been studying the dining options online and they are a bit overwhelming.  My guess is Lumiere will be my best bet, though it does not open for lunch until 12?

Thank you in advance.  I appreciate everyone's practical advice, input and enthusiasm.

33 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Jim, or any X veterans:

Other than Lumiere for suite pax, do Celebrity ships have any upscale lunch venues where you can  sit and get unhurried lunch table service with  at least a partial ocean view ( inside or outside, with or without an upcharge)?

I will be in a Sky Suite on Edge, first X cruise, in November.  I am not much of a breakfast eater ( usually just get something light delivered to the suite preceded by my coffee) and instead prefer a calm, sit-down, unhurried early 3-course lunch. I have been studying the dining options online and they are a bit overwhelming.  My guess is Lumiere will be my best bet, though it does not open for lunch until 12?

Thank you in advance.  I appreciate everyone's practical advice, input and enthusiasm.

You are quite the traveler. How nice for you. I always love reading your threads.

Typically, we are off touring the world, therefore rarely have a nice relaxing lunch with exceptions. I have only been on the S class and M Class ships. Although on occasion, when off in a port we have a lovely lunch at a luxury resort or fine restaurant.

I personally like Luminae for breakfast and find it relaxing. Rarely do lunch there and for dinner switch off and on between L and Specialties. On sea days many times we go to Sushi on Five for a quiet lunch. Not many people there when we go early. This could prove difficult for you, but others may have different ideas.

We get up early and have a cappuccino at Bacio and then breakfast at Luminae. I have had the butler bring my cappuccino to our Suite several times. I do not know if the Sky Suites have that option.

This cruise will be different than many others I know you have cruised on. However, I do think you will enjoy yourself. Can't wait for your review and also to hear about your Ponant cruise.

• Thanks 1