New quarantine requirements in Netherlands??

Psoque

3 hours ago, cruisinwithsusan said:

I found this to be what currently would apply to our upcoming BSL to AMS situation if the rules stay the same.  We have the pre-cruise nights needed in Basel.  Of course, our sailing is a month from now, so who knows.  (seems this was rushed as many misspellings).

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/self-quarantine/exceptions-mandatory-quarantine

Exemptions from the mandatory quarantine requirement

"This applies to people who, immediately prior to their arrival in the Netherlands, have stayed in an area not designated as very high risk for at least 10 consecutive days.

Documents required

Quarantine declaration or proof of accomodation

Travellers must be able to provide a document showing that, in the 10 days immediately prior to their arrival in the Netherlands, they were staying in an area not designated as very high risk."

That’s exactly what I was thinking.  We also have a Basel to Amsterdam cruise that includes an overnight in Amsterdam.  For us to spend 10 full days in a country that is not designated “very high risk” by the Dutch, we would need to stay in Basel for 4 nights before boarding the ship.  Our cruise is not until November, so we might adjust our flights to arrive in Basel 4 days before the cruise.  But again this might be a moot point for us since I’m assuming that the rules will change again before that.

1 hour ago, CRK9313 said:

That sounds great, and things could change but I just saw this...2092194435_Screenshot_20210909-125322_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f3d57550e266dc4e064c323bad260a8d.jpg

Where's this from?

Thalys?

I was just on the SNCB Rail site and was able to purchase tickets from Amsterdam to Ghent for next week.  No alerts, restrictions, or disclaimers.

Edited by mapsd

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking.  We also have a Basel to Amsterdam cruise that includes an overnight in Amsterdam.  For us to spend 10 full days in a country that is not designated “very high risk” by the Dutch, we would need to stay in Basel for 4 nights before boarding the ship.  Our cruise is not until November, so we might adjust our flights to arrive in Basel 4 days before the cruise.  But again this might be a moot point for us since I’m assuming that the rules will change again before that.

You might be OK, but the rest of the folks on the ship probably won’t be, which is why some lines are truncating in Germany and bussing everyone to AMS within the 12 hour transit exception.

Only scenario where you being OK matters is if you’re spending time post-cruise in the Netherlands.

20 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

You might be OK, but the rest of the folks on the ship probably won’t be, which is why some lines are truncating in Germany and bussing everyone to AMS within the 12 hour transit exception.

Only scenario where you being OK matters is if you’re spending time post-cruise in the Netherlands.

I agree with you, and that’s why I’m so puzzled why Crystal is telling their customers that they are not planning to make any changes to their Basel-to-Amsterdam cruises.  Crystal is saying that, since the ship enters Netherlands from Germany, all is OK…not sure that’s really the case.  I have this terrible feeling that cruise lines are too desperate to think clearly regarding matters like this.

Edited by Psoque

@mapsd

Must be the Eurostar website.

I suppose one could get a normal fast train instead?

But could fill up, especially if capacity restrictions apply.

You could go to London but be aware of potential re-entry problems, the UK is neither in the EU nor in Schengen-Europe. Might be better to choose Germany if you need to be in a foreign country and you cannot get that vital train connection from Belgium.

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@mapsd

Must be the Eurostar website.

I suppose one could get a normal fast train instead?

But could fill up, especially if capacity restrictions apply.

You could go to London but be aware of potential re-entry problems, the UK is neither in the EU nor in Schengen-Europe. Might be better to choose Germany if you need to be in a foreign country and you cannot get that vital train connection from Belgium.

notamermaid

We already have a flat rented in Gent & are taking IC trains (already have tickets) in case our transfer from the dock is delayed. 

1 hour ago, mapsd said:

Where's this from?

Thalys?

I was just on the SNCB Rail site and was able to purchase tickets from Amsterdam to Ghent for next week.  No alerts, restrictions, or disclaimers.

Eurostar. I have no experience with train lines in Europe, started with a Google search. I did not look at all the options.

• Like 1

Just now, mapsd said:

We already have a flat rented in Gent & are taking IC trains (already have tickets) in case our transfer from the dock is delayed. 

My suggestion was a general one. Gent, that sounds great. I have never been, just have been to Brussels and Bruges (and Liege). IC train is definitely a good fast train alternative.

Have a great time.

notamermaid

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

This is our first river cruise and we are first-time customers of Avalon, and it will probably be our last based on this very poor pre-cruise experience.

We have had similar thoughts about Emerald (a Scenic company).  Communications non-existent!

Just received a message from Viking regarding our cruise leaving Amsterdam on 17 Sep.  Due to the quarantine restriction in the Netherlands our embarkation was moved to Emmerich, GE.  So we made accommodations there as we are arriving one day early.  Now we are told the ship is leaving Amsterdam now as accommodations have been made for the ship to depart Amsterdam.  Problem is since we are arriving one day early we violate the restriction.  Starting to lose my enthusiasm for this trip.  Of course the air fare is more money now.  Not blaming Viking.  But definitely frustrated.

31 minutes ago, conman said:

Just received a message from Viking regarding our cruise leaving Amsterdam on 17 Sep.  Due to the quarantine restriction in the Netherlands our embarkation was moved to Emmerich, GE.  So we made accommodations there as we are arriving one day early.  Now we are told the ship is leaving Amsterdam now as accommodations have been made for the ship to depart Amsterdam.  Problem is since we are arriving one day early we violate the restriction.  Starting to lose my enthusiasm for this trip.  Of course the air fare is more money now.  Not blaming Viking.  But definitely frustrated.

You may consider leaving Amsterdam by train for that one day, say, Germany.  Stay the night in Germany, take a train back to Amsterdam, then board the ship within 12 hours of arrival in Amsterdam.  This way, you don't have to change flights.  You just need to get out of Amsterdam until you board the boat.

53 minutes ago, conman said:

Antwerp?  Easy direct train from Schiphol, visit Chocolate Nation, drink some beer, spend the night  & then back to Centraal Station to catch your boat.

Edited by mapsd

Still no word from Tauck about my Dec. Holland and Belgium cruise.  Maybe they're hoping things will change by December.  Final payment is in October.  Will 4 days straight in the Netherlands, I don't see a work around.

@Roz As things are changing fast I also reckon that Tauck will wait with any announcements on a December cruise. But it may be a consideration for you to watch that final payment date. Getting closer to it, why not contact Tauck and ask them what their thoughts are on pushing the date? I would do it in writing.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Finally heard from Avalon for our Sept. 18th departure from Amsterdam on the Rhine, ending in Basel.  Instead of spending day two in Amsterdam, we will leave Amsterdam the evening of the 18th and sail to Cologne, Germany, and day two will be in Cologne.  The included canal river cruise was moved from day two to departure day (18th) in the afternoon.  I can't see how that can happen since we're not allowed to move about in the country even if it's within 12 hours.  

1 hour ago, kaysha2004 said:

Finally heard from Avalon for our Sept. 18th departure from Amsterdam on the Rhine, ending in Basel.  Instead of spending day two in Amsterdam, we will leave Amsterdam the evening of the 18th and sail to Cologne, Germany, and day two will be in Cologne.  The included canal river cruise was moved from day two to departure day (18th) in the afternoon.  I can't see how that can happen since we're not allowed to move about in the country even if it's within 12 hours.  

They probably have arrangements made that allow them to bus you from the boat to the canal tour and back.  You won't really be moving around, other than by bus & canal boat.  

I feel for the cruise lines trying to scramble and re-arrange everything at the last minute.  Guess they are lucky that they aren't sailing with full passenger capacity, but it can't be easy re-arranging everything.

• Like 1

What I am bit surprised about is the fact that there is a canal cruise planned that takes time and you have to get there from the airport and to the ship when you are supposed to leave the country within 12 hours. At 10 knots (they can go faster) a ship needs near to 4 hours to get through the Amsterdam Rijn canal and then goes upstream on the Rhine at a lower speed, which is a distance of about 60 kilometres as far as I know. I suppose it works to sail and get across the border with room, i.e. time, to wiggle around. Or does the river as an international waterway not count in the 12 hours? Would love to know how the authorities see this and how long a ship actually needs on average to get from Amsterdam to Emmerich.

Anyway, @kaysha2004 I hope it all works out for you and you have a splendid time.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:27 AM, Roz said:

Still no word from Tauck about my Dec. Holland and Belgium cruise.  Maybe they're hoping things will change by December.  Final payment is in October.  Will 4 days straight in the Netherlands, I don't see a work around.

I’m on the Dec. 13-20 Brussels to Amsterdam Christmas Market cruise with Tauck.  Eight of us are flying in to Brussels via Amsterdam on the 12th…or I hope we are.  I’m thinking’s unless things change I’m not sure we can make this work.  We’re flying KLM out of Atlanta and I read one post on HAL that KLM had cancelled all flights from Atlanta through November.   Such a mess.  

20 minutes ago, Blue Eyes said:

I’m on the Dec. 13-20 Brussels to Amsterdam Christmas Market cruise with Tauck.  Eight of us are flying in to Brussels via Amsterdam on the 12th…or I hope we are.  I’m thinking’s unless things change I’m not sure we can make this work.  We’re flying KLM out of Atlanta and I read one post on HAL that KLM had cancelled all flights from Atlanta through November.   Such a mess.  

KLM is a Delta partner.  Can you switch your flights to LHR and take the Eurostar train to Brussels?

Are the Christmas markets going to happen in Belgium this year? The hopes for our December DIY trip starting in Amsterdam and flying out of Schiphol when we finish is not looking good! I was worried about this when I made hotel reservations I could cancel without penalty,  We were getting ready to make air reservations about the time Covid ticked up!

Second seating

16 hours ago, Roz said:

@NavyCruiser, very interesting.  I assume you purchased a pre-cruise pkg. from Viking.  

No, we didn't sign up with Viking's precruise package.   Just had flights coming to Amsterdam 2 days early, staying at Amsterdam hotel on our own.  But I guess Viking proactively canceled the United flight coming in early & replaced with KLM flight arriving same embarkation day.

• Like 1

@Blue Eyes, I'm on the cruise before yours that leaves Amsterdam on December 6.  

@Second seating, Tauck has 4 Yuletide cruises scheduled in December - 2 are Amsterdam to Brussels and 2 are Brussels to Amsterdam. I've wondered about the Christmas markets and the last time I checked they were still pending.  No dates have been set.  I booked this cruise for the ports and the time of year (easy for me to get off work), but for those who want the markets they may not get what they signed up for assuming we even sail.