Passport

floridababa

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Unexpired visas in the cancelled passport is the main reason I can think of.  When you re-visit a country where your visa is not yet outdated, you need to carry your current and expired US passports.

You're right on with that! When we still needed visas for Brazil we finally got a ten year one so, yep, carried the old one for a while.

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

Unexpired visas in the cancelled passport is the main reason I can think of.  When you re-visit a country where your visa is not yet outdated, you need to carry your current and expired US passports.

That is something that never occurred to me.  Good catch!  We kept our old passports, but have no real reason for doing that.   

32 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That is something that never occurred to me.  Good catch!  We kept our old passports, but have no real reason for doing that.   

It is fun to look at them every once in a blue moon 🙂 But unless one needs it for an upcoming trip, I guess I don't know why some are so anxious about it.???

7 minutes ago, clo said:

It is fun to look at them every once in a blue moon 🙂 But unless one needs it for an upcoming trip, I guess I don't know why some are so anxious about it.???

Hmmm, I might have to consider a passport burning party!  😃 

Seriously I think we still have them around simply because the old ones are tucked away in the safe and it would take more effort than it is worth to dig them out and shred them.   Not the best rationale, I know.   

• Like 1

For anyone who recently renewed your passport and also have Global Entry:  We tried to update our GE account yesterday when the new passports were received.  Both of us got error messages that it could not be updated on line, we had to go to an interview site.  I did some googling and found a recent article from someone who ran into the same problem.  He said he just quit trying but went back about a month later and was able to update the passport info on line with GE.  Apparently it takes a while for the system to recognize the new passport # & dates.

7 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

For anyone who recently renewed your passport and also have Global Entry:  We tried to update our GE account yesterday when the new passports were received.  Both of us got error messages that it could not be updated on line, we had to go to an interview site.  I did some googling and found a recent article from someone who ran into the same problem.  He said he just quit trying but went back about a month later and was able to update the passport info on line with GE.  Apparently it takes a while for the system to recognize the new passport # & dates.

Last March I gave it more than 5 weeks and then contacted GE on line and asked if I had to make an appointment to come to their office at Port Everglades.  Luckily I didn't.  I was advised to call that office to determine their office hours.  When I arrived the receptionist took my new passport and GE card to an agent who processed it and brought it back to me within 5 minutes.  There was never any explanation as to why I had to appear in person.

We renewed last time at the post office so they basically guided us through the process. What I do not recall is if you have to use one check for passport renewal fee, expedited processing and expedited return.  Can someone advise on that?   Also, do we have to separate the renewals at time of sending them overnight?    

many thanks! 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:10 AM, maggieq said:

We renewed last time at the post office so they basically guided us through the process. What I do not recall is if you have to use one check for passport renewal fee, expedited processing and expedited return.  Can someone advise on that?   Also, do we have to separate the renewals at time of sending them overnight?    

many thanks! 

We did not apply for expedited initially but we each wrote a check for the basic fee.  Both applications were mailed in the same envelope.  

On 9/14/2021 at 7:10 AM, maggieq said:

many thanks! 

When I renewed my wife's passport, I wrote one single check for the expedited renewal and expedited return. 

On 9/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, sasset said:

Did you get our old passport back? If so how long after you got the passport? Still waiting for mine.

My wife reported that she received her old passport in the mail today.

So it took about a month for her to get her new passport (expedited) and an additional month for the old one to arrive.

Edited by mahdnc

On 9/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, mahdnc said:

Do you know if you have to do anything for your existing Global Entry if you get your passport renewed?

I got my answer already: https://www.swiftpassportservices.com/blog/update-global-entry-update-passport/

The answer is "yes" you have to go into the GE system and update your new passport number.

Just tried updating my new passport info and it tells me there is a mistake. I have checked and the new passport info is correct. Am I being blonde?

4 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Just tried updating my new passport info and it tells me there is a mistake. I have checked and the new passport info is correct. Am I being blonde?

Sounds like the same issue I had as described in post 31.  I had to go in person to get my GE record updated.  Luckily it didn’t require an appointment and only took 5 minutes but it was still a pain.

27 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Sounds like the same issue I had as described in post 31.  I had to go in person to get my GE record updated.  Luckily it didn’t require an appointment and only took 5 minutes but it was still a pain.

Thank you. We will be going to Port Everglades. 😀

We are having the same problem.  We're flying from PGH but of course with limited days and hours they will not be open when we are at the airport. I can't find GE at the airport in FLL, seems to be an off airport site. Maybe we'll have more luck flying for our March cruise.  At least in Port Everglades there are no kiosks, you just show your card to get to the front of a line.  Last time we disembarked they used facial recognition and we just walked out.

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I can't find GE at the airport in FLL, seems to be an off airport site. Maybe we'll have more luck flying for our March cruise. 

The office is literally between the airport and Port Everglades right before the Eller Drive entrance to the port.  See the Port Everglades map on the website: www.porteverglades.net or https://porteverglades.org/port-everglade-facilities-map.htm

It is immediately south of the navy blue security icon in the center of the map.

Address: 1800 Eller Drive
Suite 104
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
Hours of Operation: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday - Saturday
Contact Information: (954) 761-2029
Edited by capriccio

My boyfriend and I mailed our renewal applications on August 16.  We mailed both applications in the same envelope, two separate checks.  My legal address is different from his.  Website says my boyfriend should get his passport by 9/28.   Post office says I should get my passport on 9/25. Not bad at all.