Thoughts on Carnival's Rapid Covid Testing at Terminal/Pier.

tomcatguy74

Somehow I don't find myself eager to fly to my cruise port and have to rely on testing at the pier because of time constraints.  Too much pressure for me with a family of four. What if we get a positive or false positive at the pier ? Can you leave and fly back home? Probably not..... This is all getting to be too much. Im on the Panorama right now and got the wife and I into CVS before flying out. Now we would have to test the day before flying out. If I had to test a family of four at the pier it could be $600 out of pocket for the tests..... Not liking what I see going forward as a cruising family. I like that Carnival is trying to set it up but that's a lot of pressure and praying before you can step on the ship. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Somehow I don't find myself eager to fly to my cruise port and have to rely on testing at the pier because of time constraints.  Too much pressure for me with a family of four. What if we get a positive or false positive at the pier ? Can you leave and fly back home? Probably not..... This is all getting to be too much. Im on the Panorama right now and got the wife and I into CVS before flying out. Now we would have to test the day before flying out. If I had to test a family of four at the pier it could be $600 out of pocket for the tests..... Not liking what I see going forward as a cruising family. I like that Carnival is trying to set it up but that's a lot of pressure and praying before you can step on the ship. 

I dont think any of us know what the price will be. Are you assuming its 150 same as kids who get tested on the ship twice? 

I cant believe it will be that high or no one will do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailingships said:

I didnt know you had to test before flying domestically. When did that happen?

Not saying required to fly domestically, just that need to test to meet the 72 hour requirement to board the ship. PITA to fit in testing and fly across the country.

• Like 1

Many threads are now posting about the inexpensive, quick and low stress test kits.

Abbott BinaxNow COVID-10 Ag Card at home proctored test kits.  (Accepted by Carnival Brand Cruise Lines and several airlines for return to USA testing, etc.)

Offered by several vendors but here is one example:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

Edited by oakridger
add
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Many threads are now posting about the inexpensive, quick and low stress test kits.

Abbott BinaxNow COVID-10 Ag Card at home proctored test kits.  (Accepted by Carnival Brand Cruise Lines and several airlines for return to USA testing, etc.)

Offered by several vendors but here is one example:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

HOWEVER, the at-home tests are only accepted if they're proctored (i.e. a medical professional watches via video link while you perform the test).  I have to imagine that's not easy to schedule, but maybe I'm wrong.

As far as testing at the pier, for the vast majority of folks on a cruise who are vaccinated and only require a single rapid test before cruising, I see it as a viable option if scheduling a test close to home before travelling to the cruise port doesn't work out.  I certainly wouldn't want to travel a significant distance to a cruise port and be faced with the possibility of testing positive and not being able to cruise.  

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, groundloop said:

HOWEVER, the at-home tests are only accepted if they're proctored (i.e. a medical professional watches via video link while you perform the test).  I have to imagine that's not easy to schedule, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, they must be the proctored version to be accepted.  Based on several reports here on CC the proctors are available 24/7 and can be used worldwide (with internet).  Around the beginning of August there were very long wait times for awhile however they state that now it has improved and now they are reporting waits of 20 minutes or less for the proctors to come online once summoned by the app.  There are some YouTubes about it.  It really looks pretty slick to me and is what I will use if needed for my next cruise/flights.

~Nancy

• Like 3

It caught the cruise lines by surprise. People are having a difficult time now finding rapid testing sites. Carnival will have to compete to find a facility willing to do it, can accommodate several hundred people, and have enough tests available. I think they are better off having the eMed system, setup testing booths that can link to them, and go from there. It is already established, have the staff (usually in India), and can be done from computer terminals. I think it is a much simpler solution to manage.

• Like 3

I think it is a great idea as it is a requirement to board and a good customer service offer.

Now with that said.... the cost is going to be high and Carnival has already been accused of charging people for everything. I would say that you get what you pay for. The cruiselines that already offer pre cruise testing are already more expensive.

In regards to the concern about testing positive. No one is stopping you from getting a test before you leave for the port.

Now here is the issue. Clearly access to testing in the U.S. is lacking. To be snarky I guess the theory is if you don't test for Covid you don't have Covid 🙂

I'm in Canada and if I have symptoms or am exposed to someone with symptoms I can get a FREE PCR test. The results come back in 24 hours. This is not a travel test. This is done by the health department.

The bigger issue is that now that we know you can have Covid with no symptoms there should be MORE access to testing, not less.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Now here is the issue. Clearly access to testing in the U.S. is lacking. To be snarky I guess the theory is if you don't test for Covid you don't have Covid 🙂

I'm in Canada and if I have symptoms or am exposed to someone with symptoms I can get a FREE PCR test. The results come back in 24 hours. This is not a travel test. This is done by the health department.

The bigger issue is that now that we know you can have Covid with no symptoms there should be MORE access to testing, not less.

We're in Florida and have had no problem getting tested when needed.  The issue seems to be some are having problems getting appointments in advance for testing that now needs to be done within two days prior to a cruise.  It CAN be done but may not be at a location 5 minutes from your house and you have to be proactive in booking your appointment.  There are MANY places here where someone may get tested - free or at a cost.  We were on Magic last week and got tested at a Walgreens 15 minutes away and had our results a half hour later.  Others may choose to go to a testing location that doesn't require appointments (such as health department) but you will have a wait.  Another option is an urgent care type that may or may not have a charge and/or a long wait if you don't make an appointment.

I think Carnival's approach to trying to set up mobile testing at the port is a great last resort for those who can't find a way to be tested otherwise.

• Like 1

FWIW, NCL is already performing antigen tests at the pier (mandatory for everyone, no extra charge). They've contracted with a vendor (Eurofins) to run the testing facility, although that requires a nearby space suitable for processing a few thousand cruisers in a relatively short window.

For the first cruise out of Seattle, we got tested at the hotel across the street; since then they've added at least one more site to spread the crowds out. The test administered is the BinaxNOW nasal swab. You are required to select an arrival time (1/2 hour increments) and are strongly encouraged to pre-register with Eurofins to speed up the process. 

This worked fine in downtown Seattle where there are suitable spaces right next to Pier 66 (which has its own conference space as well). This would be more challenging at Pier 91 from which Carnival and most of the other cruise lines sail as it's a small embarkation facility in a light industrial area.

My TA just forwarded an announcement from Royal Caribbean stating that passengers will be able to order proctored at-home test kits through a link on their site. I'm assuming they've made an arrangement for customers to purchase BinaxNOW or Ellume tests. That will be much more convenient, but the notice didn't mention if the cruise line is subsidizing any of the costs.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think it is a great idea as it is a requirement to board and a good customer service offer.

Now with that said.... the cost is going to be high and Carnival has already been accused of charging people for everything. I would say that you get what you pay for. The cruiselines that already offer pre chyruise testing are already more expensive.

In regards to the concern about testing positive. No one is stopping you from getting a test before you leave for the port.

It was said at the beginning of the pandemic that one way it could end was if it became no more of a problem than the common cold. Now we are panicking about Covid with no symptoms. Why? If everyone would get their vaccinations, then why would Covid with no symptoms be any problem? Let's not put requirements on the vaccinated; instead no vaccine, no cruise, no exceptions.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Let's not put requirements on the vaccinated; instead no vaccine, no cruise, no exceptions.

I completely agree with you on that.

I am still cranky/angry/upset that we were told if we got vaccinated we'd get back to the things we like to do.

I like cruising. But yeah...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I completely agree with you on that.

I am still cranky/angry/upset that we were told if we got vaccinated we'd get back to the things we like to do.

I like cruising. But yeah...

Yes, the goalposts have definitely moved.

Not masking was supposed to be an incentive for those hesitant to get vaccinated to get vaccinated. That lasted what a few minutes?😒

• Like 3

I'll be doing this (rapid testing at terminal) a little more than two weeks from now.  The design for side-to-side passengers was already set prior to this newest time frame, and I'll keep a close eye on the web site for any updates.  I trust that Carnival will do what's best, as well as possible, for its passengers.

My only concern is being somehow lost in the shuffle on embarkation morning.  My situation is a small percentage, and it will be done at no charge by CCL.  If it's handled internally, all should be good.  If I get sent out to the 'third party testing' area, I can see it getting off the rails.

As they say, I'll cross that bridge when I get there, and hope for the best. 🤞 🤞

5 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

I'll be doing this (rapid testing at terminal) a little more than two weeks from now.  The design for side-to-side passengers was already set prior to this newest time frame, and I'll keep a close eye on the web site for any updates.  I trust that Carnival will do what's best, as well as possible, for its passengers.

My only concern is being somehow lost in the shuffle on embarkation morning.  My situation is a small percentage, and it will be done at no charge by CCL.  If it's handled internally, all should be good.  If I get sent out to the 'third party testing' area, I can see it getting off the rails.

As they say, I'll cross that bridge when I get there, and hope for the best. 🤞 🤞

So are we to assume that the testing at the terminals will start on September 13th??

46 minutes ago, tomcatguy74 said:

So are we to assume that the testing at the terminals will start on September 13th??

I've read nov at the earliest

PS and let's say it costs $100 pp vs now it's free for a lot of people thru your insurance. I'm not thrilled at the idea but I guess for those who dont read emails.

I saw a blog from ezcruise parking owner he had 3 denied boarding. One lady denied covid existed. You could tell he was having a hard day. Of course she didnt come with vaccination records or testing. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Haha 2

I think a rapid test near the terminal is a great backup plan for someone who is unable to get results in time.  It should relieve some of the stress involved with booking a cruise this year.  The testing makes sense since vaccinated people are getting and spreading the delta variant too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

It was said at the beginning of the pandemic that one way it could end was if it became no more of a problem than the common cold. Now we are panicking about Covid with no symptoms. Why? If everyone would get their vaccinations, then why would Covid with no symptoms be any problem? Let's not put requirements on the vaccinated; instead no vaccine, no cruise, no exceptions.

Because covid has shown an ability to adapt and to morph into a more contagious virus that affects people the original covid didn't (young people).  You want to stop THE SPREAD because the more it spreads, the more chance it has to morph over and over.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Because covid has shown an ability to adapt and to morph into a more contagious virus that affects people the original covid didn't (young people).  You want to stop THE SPREAD because the more it spreads, the more chance it has to morph over and over.

Shhhh. stop giving out correct information about the virus and how it is transmitted and mutates 

🙂 🙂  🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I saw a blog from ezcruise parking owner he had 3 denied boarding. One lady denied covid existed. You could tell he was having a hard day. Of course she didnt come with vaccination records or testing. 

🤯 I would suck at Customer Service. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomcatguy74 said:

In my situation, the terminal testing (for me) is already active by Carnival, and I'm grateful they are doing that.

Where my 'assumptions' come into play is that IF some/all of the embarkation ports are able to establish this new option for at-terminal rapid testing, CCL could possibly attempt to merge those two passengers bases together . . . and I wouldn't blame them for attempting that for efficiency, but I fear about the communication of that process, and it getting all goobered-up just prior to me boarding (or trying to board).