Sky lounge Silhouette

chemmo

Just considering where to spend some time on the ship during the day if we don’t get great weather!

The Sky Lounge has great views...We have only ever visited it in the evening, though.

Is it open all day?

Are there any day time events there?

Is the bar open all day or just set times and can you get coffee as well as alcohol?

Whilst I know everyone has drinks packages are they still holding Elite cocktail times?

If you have had some bad weather days on your cruise where have you found a good place to go? We obviously intend to enjoy some time in the Solarium and in our suite but I would be interested in your recommendations.

Thank you!

As I remember from my cruise on Silhouette 2 years ago. Yes it is open all day & that's where they held the Trivia quizzes. On some days they had Art auctions there.

They did open the bar during the day but I don't recall the times. Probably  open when "events" were on.

No coffee.

Edited by mike30542

41 minutes ago, mike30542 said:

As I remember from my cruise on Silhouette 2 years ago. Yes it is open all day & that's where they held the Trivia quizzes. On some days they had Art auctions there.

They did open the bar during the day but I don't recall the times. Probably  open when "events" were on.

No coffee.

Thanks, Mike!

I had forgotten about the trivia quizzes...I will definitely give the art auction a miss!

I cruised to Norway a couple of years ago and it was too cold to sit outside most of the time so I generally sat in the snug areas reading or watching people play chess. I also went to the shore excursion seminars and basically went through the daily schedule with a highlighter and picked random things to attend!

My suggestion is to do things you usually wouldn’t!

We spent most of the afternoon at Invergordon in the Sky lounge seated looking over the bow last month. It is so much better than Reflection with its full width and wide angle views. 

Had the weather been better I wouldn't have bothered but glad I did now. Four glasses of red wine later it would be rude not to have a power nap too!

• Haha 1

Hello,

One of the things that sticks in my memory is the sound of rushing air sat at the windows directly overlooking the bow. Whether this was the outside air passing the ship or the aircon at the foot of the windows I could not work out.

As others have said: Used for 'events' (inside events like quizzes etc; bar not open except for SOME events until about 5.00pm; and no coffee. But you are on the same deck as the Ocean View cafe, though maybe not of much use in very bad weather.

Regards,

Cublet

42 minutes ago, Debbiem83 said:

I cruised to Norway a couple of years ago and it was too cold to sit outside most of the time so I generally sat in the snug areas reading or watching people play chess. I also went to the shore excursion seminars and basically went through the daily schedule with a highlighter and picked random things to attend!

My suggestion is to do things you usually wouldn’t!

Highlighter now packed!

We cruised to Norway a few years ago and had fantastic weather! All goes to show, you never can tell...

36 minutes ago, Esprit said:

We spent most of the afternoon at Invergordon in the Sky lounge seated looking over the bow last month. It is so much better than Reflection with its full width and wide angle views. 

Had the weather been better I wouldn't have bothered but glad I did now. Four glasses of red wine later it would be rude not to have a power nap too!

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of...I remember the seats up there being very comfortable. The red wine sounds a good idea too. Were you able to get it in the Sky Lounge or did you get it elsewhere?

16 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

One of the things that sticks in my memory is the sound of rushing air sat at the windows directly overlooking the bow. Whether this was the outside air passing the ship or the aircon at the foot of the windows I could not work out.

As others have said: Used for 'events' (inside events like quizzes etc; bar not open except for SOME events until about 5.00pm; and no coffee. But you are on the same deck as the Ocean View cafe, though maybe not of much use in very bad weather.

Regards,

Cublet

Thank you!

The Skylounge is open all of the time and it can be a great place for a quiet morning or afternoon. 

It is used for:

Special Events -  e.g. Elite Plus Captains Host, special parties 

Bar Open - 10AM - Midnight

Celebrity Activities:  for today on Equinox (Port Day)  all ships have similar schedule.  Check app for current activities on the App

10:15 -   Morning Trivia

10:45 - Arts & Crafts: Adult Coloring

10:45  - Riddle of the Day

11:00  - Speed Sudoku

11:15 -  Wooden Puzzel

11:15 -   Digital Samenger Hunt

1:30    - Xbox Bowling Tournament

2:00   -   Scattergories

3:00   - Music Challenge:  Movie Themes

4:00   - Afternoon Trivia  Brain Straian

10:00P  Bandeoke:   Live Music Karakoe 

I've enjoyed it often as a nice place to sit and read and watch the sea.    BTW it can be a great viewing area if there is a helicopter medical evacuation if you get there early usually fills up quickly. 

• Thanks 1

I was on Silhouette last week.

The Skylounge was lovely and I spent a lot of time up there. As  already stated most of the quizzes were held there. There was also events in the evening the most popular being the ABBA Singalong Party.

The bar did not open officially open till 7.30 in the evening which surprised me. But there was a barman there from about 11.00am to service the outside decks. There was no problem walking up to the bar and getting a drink. During the quizzes they did  have a bar steward walking around the room taking orders.

I was just surprised it was not utilised more especially for pre-dinner drinks.

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of...I remember the seats up there being very comfortable. The red wine sounds a good idea too. Were you able to get it in the Sky Lounge or did you get it elsewhere?

Got the wine from the deck bar on the opposite side to the Burger/hotdog Bar. I'm never one for waiting for a server to come around. Much prefer to go to any bar myself

I'm going to throw in another opinion. I like the Sky Lounge in the evening, but during the day I've always found it a barn of a room and lacks any warm atmosphere. Add to that the motion you can get if the seas are rough and I'd rather forego looking at the sea which gets a bit boring from behind glass and pick a mood like Ensemble Lounge (and handy for The Retreat Lounge) or grab a coffee in Al Bacio. I will say that once I've finished my coffee there I will move off and vacate for someone else. 

So unless I have a specific reason to go to the Sky Lounge during the day I rarely go in there. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Skylounge is open all of the time and it can be a great place for a quiet morning or afternoon. 

It is used for:

Special Events -  e.g. Elite Plus Captains Host, special parties 

Bar Open - 10AM - Midnight

Celebrity Activities:  for today on Equinox (Port Day)  all ships have similar schedule.  Check app for current activities on the App

10:15 -   Morning Trivia

10:45 - Arts & Crafts: Adult Coloring

10:45  - Riddle of the Day

11:00  - Speed Sudoku

11:15 -  Wooden Puzzel

11:15 -   Digital Samenger Hunt

1:30    - Xbox Bowling Tournament

2:00   -   Scattergories

3:00   - Music Challenge:  Movie Themes

4:00   - Afternoon Trivia  Brain Straian

10:00P  Bandeoke:   Live Music Karakoe 

I've enjoyed it often as a nice place to sit and read and watch the sea.    BTW it can be a great viewing area if there is a helicopter medical evacuation if you get there early usually fills up quickly. 

Our ‘normal’ cruises are usually about enjoying the sunshine and the ports of call. This is a bit new for us...We are well cruised but have never even heard about most of the things on your list! Always goes to show you should see every cruise as a new experience!

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The best place on the ship IMHO.

Certainly in the evening it has always been one of our favourites. Even with access to the suite lounge we have always once or twice per cruise headed for the Sky Lounge in the evenings....Just so wonderful to enjoy panoramic views...

Looking at your reply and that of others we need to try it more during the day, especially if the weather isn’t wonderful!

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

Got the wine from the deck bar on the opposite side to the Burger/hotdog Bar. I'm never one for waiting for a server to come around. Much prefer to go to any bar myself

Thank you! Always useful to know where the nearest watering hole is!

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm going to throw in another opinion. I like the Sky Lounge in the evening, but during the day I've always found it a barn of a room and lacks any warm atmosphere. Add to that the motion you can get if the seas are rough and I'd rather forego looking at the sea which gets a bit boring from behind glass and pick a mood like Ensemble Lounge (and handy for The Retreat Lounge) or grab a coffee in Al Bacio. I will say that once I've finished my coffee there I will move off and vacate for someone else. 

So unless I have a specific reason to go to the Sky Lounge during the day I rarely go in there. 

Phil 

Thanks, Phil...

This has always been more or less our experience too. We have attended Elite events there but never really visited during the day. We are just more aware this cruise that if the weather is not good that we still want to ‘savour’ every moment. Like for most people this holiday has been a long time coming....

The advice given by yourself and many others will help us on a ‘grey’ day to still make the most of our cruise. The advice of 

10 hours ago, Debbiem83 said:

I basically went through the daily schedule with a highlighter and picked random things to attend!

Is really useful. Ironically when we first cruised (mainly on RC) we did this but in recent years have not really followed the daily planner.

Again sincere thanks to all who have responded to this post.

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Thanks, Phil...

This has always been more or less our experience too. We have attended Elite events there but never really visited during the day. We are just more aware this cruise that if the weather is not good that we still want to ‘savour’ every moment. Like for most people this holiday has been a long time coming....

The advice given by yourself and many others will help us on a ‘grey’ day to still make the most of our cruise. The advice of 

Is really useful. Ironically when we first cruised (mainly on RC) we did this but in recent years have not really followed the daily planner.

Again sincere thanks to all who have responded to this post.

Regrettably the refurb has turned the lounge a dull grey. On the plus side the seats all around the edge have been replaced with rocking chairs. Covid restrictions have placed limits on numbers so all the nightly Elite events have been cancelled and the late night shows have reduced numbers. Rocking chairs also around the spa pool and lots of other outside spaces.

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On a couple of our latest cruises, the Sky Lounge was closed during the day due to private group events.  These included investment seminars for a group booking.  Another time it was closed during the day for a private social event.  These occurred primarily  during sea days.

The Sky Lounge did re-open to the general public around Happy Hour.

On most cruises, the Sky Lounge is open and hosts trivia contests and Captain Club events.

7 hours ago, pkpon said:

was just surprised it was not utilised more especially for pre-dinner drinks.

There was no atmosphere in the Sky Lounge between 5-7pm, which was a great shame.The attached is a photo that I took on the 2nd night.

4C9F4FD5-33A4-46B0-9874-BFA7BE76966E.thumb.jpeg.de98f528ff5510e18470845b3a274f29.jpeg