Updated, Sept 7th, Princess Covid Tests Required thru Dec 31st...

LACruiser88

We knew this was coming...

Health Protocols for Cruises through 2021

For cruises through December 31, 2021, guests must have the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination
  • Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Be required to wear a face mask in certain areas
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I thought that this was interesting new information and comforting news for those who may be traveling prior to their embarkation date:

ALL guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we are working to set up mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

I wonder if the only way to schedule this test will be with the medallion app?!?

"Catch 22" ... not just a book by Joseph Heller...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We knew this was coming...

Health Protocols for Cruises through 2021

For cruises through December 31, 2021, guests must have the following:

• Received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise
  • Proof of vaccination
  • Have proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation
  • Be required to wear a face mask in certain areas

Is there something new here that I’m just missing?

The requirement to now test at 2 days has been around for a week or so. 
I’m confused. 

2 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Is there something new here that I’m just missing?

The requirement to now test at 2 days has been around for a week or so. 
I’m confused. 

Extended to Dec 31/21 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie17 said:

I thought that this was interesting new information and comforting news for those who may be traveling prior to their embarkation date:

ALL guests must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established; please check back on this page). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

I would like something that says they have this in place for those of us you come int several days early and don't want to run around looking for a test

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevie17 said:

This part is news… at least it is the first I’ve heard that Princess is working on setting up testing near the point of embarkation.  👏🏻👏🏻

Scheduled for a Mexican riviera cruise first week of January   All in our group are vaxxed, of course so that’s one thing   My daughter, however, is hoping for a fully vaxxed cruise and is making noise about canceling if not   Final payment is approaching so I’m keeping fingers crossed that particular protocol might be extended   

• Like 1

Terrible news as far I am concerned.  I am not going to be stressing about pre cruise testing and on board walking around most the time in a mask.  I have followed all the rules, not gotten Covid, I am fully vaccinated, will get booster.  When is enough enough?   It is probably time to cancel my November and January cruises.  This is not the kind of cruising I would enjoy.  I think it is going to take a few more years the way this is going.  If I could, my wish would be to get my large FCC cashed out.  I just may be ready to give up on cruising.  I am just fed up and want to live life again.  Announcements like this does not help.  This is my opinion and YMMV

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Terrible news as far I am concerned.  I am not going to be stressing about pre cruise testing and on board walking around most the time in a mask.  I have followed all the rules, not gotten Covid, I am fully vaccinated, will get booster.  When is enough enough?   It is probably time to cancel my November and January cruises.  This is not the kind of cruising I would enjoy.  I think it is going to take a few more years the way this is going.  If I could, my wish would be to get my large FCC cashed out.  I just may be ready to give up on cruising.  I am just fed up and want to live life again.  Announcements like this does not help.  This is my opinion and YMMV

I may be incorrect (and sure someone will let me know), but I understood that you could cash out your Future Cruise Credits (FCC) for exchange as cash returned to you for initial cruise price.  You would not be refunded the FCC bonus (10%-100%).  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnmik1 said:

We are doing back to back going from Princess to HAL and will need a test on the morning of the change over.It should be interesting getting either PCL or HAL to commit to the testing.

You could bring your own and do it the day before, removes all the stress. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Spideysmum said:

Final payment is approaching so I’m keeping fingers crossed that particular protocol might be extended   

I don't think the protocols will be extended beyond the 1st of the year before your final payment is due?  But, I do think these protocols are likely to be extended into the middle of 2022.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dog said:

Extended to Dec 31/21 

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I don't think the protocols will be extended beyond the 1st of the year before your final payment is due?  But, I do think these protocols are likely to be extended into the middle of 2022.

I knew there was something I was missing. Couldn't see the forest for the trees, I guess.

Thanks for straightening me out!!

• Like 1

We cruise 11/27.  That means our acceptable test days are Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  Our plans were to drive part way on Thanksgiving then finish to Ft Lauderdale on Black Friday.  No chance for testing unless Princess does it at the terminal.  I have come to distrust my government during this entire process.  As a 67 year old vet I hate myself for that.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

I feel your pain and anxiety.  I have it too.  Vacation is supposed to be fun and something you look forward to, not be afraid of, or getting the wrong test, etc. or worse, the tests could be wrong and give a false positive.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

We’re flying into Fort Lauderdale 3 days prior to our cruise.  Will bring our own test kit and log in to have it monitored at the hotel.  I think that will be the easiest way for us.

I looked on line for the test kit.  Someone did a video here and they said it has to say RX on it.  The one I saw just said OTC.  Where did you get your kit if you don't mind me asking please?  Also, someone said the tests expire in January 2022.

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

If this two day testing requirement extends into early 2022, I may be with you in cancelling our Majestic cruise in the Spring. Like you, we've done all the right things here at home (vaccinated and will get a booster if recommended) and continue to follow other mitigation protocols. The stress of getting tested two days prior (which in our area means the rapid test as the PCR turnaround is 48-72 hours) and "hope" there is not a false positive may not be worth cruising for now. We will see I guess and we will remain hopeful.

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I looked on line for the test kit.  Someone did a video here and they said it has to say RX on it.  The one I saw just said OTC.  Where did you get your kit if you don't mind me asking please?  Also, someone said the tests expire in January 2022.

Here are the options for at home monitored testing

i bought the 6 pack this week and it does expire 1/5/22 so I wouldn’t  purchase them too far out (the dates will change as time passes, these are just the batches that are currently shipping latest expiration date I have seen for those being shipped now is early february)

binaxnow ag card test (Royal  Caribbean is recommending this brand to passengers so it definitely meets all the requirements)!

image.thumb.png.59f722f34d28ff1fd02bb8ce78c83274.png

They come in different packs 2,3,6

https://www.emed.com

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

Ellume is also an option

https://www.azova.com/testing/ellume/delta/

*Tests need to have monitoring and be approved by the FDA for emergency use, both of the options above meet those requirements. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 2