Labadee Cancelled Through November?

sharktums

10 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

Did you book through a travel agent?  Travel Agents get the itinerary change email, not the passengers.  Plus it takes RC forever to update their website sometimes.  So if you did book through a TA, they more than likely haven't forwarded it to you yet.  If not, then Ocean Boy is right, there is no rhyme or reason for how or why RC does some of the things they do.

I did.  My TA is actually my parents 😀.

Our first trip to Labadee was right after the earthquake in 2010 on EX and the ship brought a lot of supplies (water and other items).  I don't know that Labadee took any damage this time.  I think a lot of the reason for cancelling is the political situation there and overall safety.   Haiti has been a mess for years and the people have been dependent on help from churches and other organizations.  Until they can get control of their own government, this will continue.  

Edited by BND

12 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

Did you book through a travel agent?  Travel Agents get the itinerary change email, not the passengers.  Plus it takes RC forever to update their website sometimes.  So if you did book through a TA, they more than likely haven't forwarded it to you yet.  If not, then Ocean Boy is right, there is no rhyme or reason for how or why RC does some of the things they do.

I am on this cruise too and the app and my TA both still show Labadee and she has not received any notice. Have to believe just Royal's way of working the calendar  

18 hours ago, TheBucketLister said:

Correct,  we just got the email (forwarded from our TA) that on our Mariner 12/04/21 sailing they would be switching out the Labadee port for Cozumel due to "the current political and security situation in Haiti"

I would speculate that Labadee will not reopen. There is no time in the foreseeable future that the cruise line would risk using it as a port of call. 

6 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

It all depends how  much $ RCL is in it for...   That said, we love it, but it doesn't appear to be a popular destination for RCL; very few itineraries go there; even less with the cash-cow Coco.

It seems to me over the past  few years it was pretty hard to find a western, or even 8 night eastern, sailing that wasn't going to Labadee.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I would speculate that Labadee will not reopen. There is no time in the foreseeable future that the cruise line would risk using it as a port of call. 

Fortunately, I guess, for RCI they have much less infrastructure invested in Labadee as compared to Coco Cay. Haiti will never be as safe an environment, or investment, as the Bahamas.

2 minutes ago, Deez123 said:

Seems like the smaller older ships for the most part.  The "good" OASIS class is much rarer. 

We sailed on Allure there in 2016 (Labadee, Jamaica, Cozumel)

1 minute ago, Deez123 said:

Seems like the smaller older ships for the most part.  The "good" OASIS class is much rarer. 

That could be. I have never been to Labadee on an O class ship. However, I've never done a western itinerary on an O class ship either.

Btw I remember our room steward on Explorer once after we docked there told us that there were some properties that people had on Labadee including one belonging to his family... When it was leased they did not get any compensation.

My Dec cruise on Symphony was stopping at both Labadee and the next day San Juan. Both are canceled now, with Labadee a sea day and San Juan has been changed to St. Maarten. I get why Labadee was canceled but anyone know the situation in San Juan?

On 9/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, Deez123 said:

Without Cruise with Confidence; what does RCL normally do as far as customer service.  If a customer wants to cancel due to the itinerary change - do they refund?   I know they do next to nothing in the case of a hurricane, etc while on the cruise, but pre cruise?    Seems like you are selecting a cruise based upon destination; if it changes you should get the option to cancel no?

That is one reason to always book the refundable deposit (assuming the news of an itinerary change comes at least before final payment).  After that point, you are settling for what ports they take you to as stated in their cruise contract.  Many of these changes are for sensible reasons (political unrest, hurricanes or disasters, port closures due to other reasons like pier reconstruction or Covid-19).  It is those ones that are reasons like a cruise company wants to move ships around after originally selling them that is frustrating to cruisers and there is no recourse.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, Priszm said:

So weird, my Nov. 3rd 4 night still shows Labadee. The weird part is your cruise is after mine and you've gotten notification already. 

Are you on the Oasis?  I've been wondering and waiting to see if they change out this port. I'm hoping it will be Coco Cay.

5 hours ago, Deez123 said:

2016 is a long time ago.   Very few going now (not withstanding current issues.)   Oasis-class ships are few and far between.   We are scheduled to go there in Dec. on Harmony - reason we picked this cruise.

I saw quite a few Oasis class itineraries with scheduled stops at Labadee for 2021 and 2022 when I was booking last May, including the one I booked on the Symphony in October.  I don’t think it’s quite as rare as you think it is, though it’s also obviously not as common of a stop as Coco Cay.  Given that Oasis Class and Perfect Day at Coco Cay are heavily featured in RCCL marketing, it makes sense to pair its newest things together.

8 hours ago, CAT GIRL said:

Are you on the Oasis?  I've been wondering and waiting to see if they change out this port. I'm hoping it will be Coco Cay.

Yes. My mom (she my TA) called last night.  As of now, and the person she spoke with, it'll be Cozumel. Like you I was hoping for Coco Cay.

just curious, where do you think our stops will be? we are booked with Liberty on November 14 out of Galveston. our stops were scheduled to be Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth. since it looks like we won't be stopping at Grand Cayman and Falmouth, where do you think our ports will be?

18 minutes ago, StormySeas said:

just curious, where do you think our stops will be? we are booked with Liberty on November 14 out of Galveston. our stops were scheduled to be Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth. since it looks like we won't be stopping at Grand Cayman and Falmouth, where do you think our ports will be?

What is the problem with Falmouth?

On 9/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Last few times DH was there he had to wear a bullet proof vest (military). I only found out because I saw it in the trunk of his car. 😳. Not the greatest place to go sometimes.

I'm an adventure traveler. I'm from Africa, and I love going to African and other developing countries. I'm comfortable in uncomfortable places. It has gotten me to sketchy situations a few times, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I also...let's just say "blend in"...more than most people on this board probably do in Haiti 🙂

My trips are pretty low key so I've never needed (or felt I needed) protection in Haiti, but I get other people's experiences and trips are different than mine. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Deez123 said:

It all depends how  much $ RCL is in it for...   That said, we love it, but it doesn't appear to be a popular destination for RCL; very few itineraries go there; even less with the cash-cow Coco.

I would argue it all depends on RCL's insurers. Even if RCL wanted to dump thousands of tourists a day in Haiti (even if it's not "real" Haiti, for lack of a better term), I can't imagine their insurers want it any time soon. I think that outweighs RCL's desire to use their infrastructure.