RCL Group data breach

excitedofharpenden

Has anyone in the UK had an email from Royal to say that their confidential details may have been accessed fraudulently by a third party?  I'm so over this happening. I've just finished dealing with a British Airways data breach where they accessed my personal data.  Need to sit down and study it. 

Phil 

2308E72D-E7E6-4B54-8A7D-CED9B8957F49.png

For the record, here is the full email. Not very impressed. 

Dear Sir or Madam,

We are writing to let you know about an incident in which a third party may have gained unauthorised access to your personal information. Below is a summary of what happened, what personal data was involved, what we are doing, what you can do, and where you can obtain more information.

Notice of Data Incident

What happened?
At some time between 6 February 2021 and 18 February 2021, your personal data may have been accessed by a third party who gained unauthorised access to a limited number of our employees’ email accounts.  Upon discovery, we immediately secured the email accounts, began an investigation, and arranged resources to start identifying, informing, and assisting persons whose personal information may have been involved.  

During our review, we identified your information as having potentially been accessed, although we are not aware of any attempt to exploit this data in a malicious way.

What personal data was involved?
In addition to your name, certain internal identifiers that we use, and information about your voyages and (if relevant) employment or other interactions with a Royal Caribbean brand, the personal data that may have been accessed includes some or all of the following: your contact information (including email address); date of birth; gender; nationality; passport number; driver’s licence or other government identification number; and/or tokenised or partial payment card information (that is, payment card numbers that have been redacted or replaced with a placeholder to prevent misuse).

To our knowledge, your information did not include your full, unencrypted payment card information.  Therefore, we believe the risk associated with someone misusing your data is low.

What are we doing?
We are taking this incident very seriously and have taken steps to strengthen our protection of personal information, including updating email access controls.  We have not identified any further unauthorised activity since the incident was identified and contained in mid-February.  We will continue to closely monitor and take further steps as appropriate to safeguard your personal data.

What can you do?
Although we are not aware of any attempts to exploit this incident in a malicious way, and although we believe the risk of someone misusing your data is low, third parties involved in the incident could attempt to use your personal information to take fraudulent actions. To reduce your risk of being subject to identity theft, you can monitor your financial accounts and your account statements for unusual or unauthorised activity over the next 12 to 24 months and promptly report any suspected identity theft to the police. You should be vigilant against possible “phishing” communications and emails that appear to be (but are not) sent from Royal Caribbean brand email addresses.

For more information
We are sorry that this occurred. If you have any questions, please call
+44(0)330 175 7170 between 9:00 am – 9:00 pm local time, Monday through Friday. You can also contact our Data Protection Officer at privacy@rccl.com.

11 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm pretty much exclusive Azamara. This occurred in February this year. 

Phil 

We are the same, we also have had a couple of Celebrity cruises as well.  I wonder, does the contact information also extend to our contact next of kin?  As it involves their mobile numbers and email addresses should they have been informed?  I dread telling my son as he is very very hot on things like this.  *lights blue touch paper and retires*

I see it was actually notified to people in the USA in June, you were right Phil.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2787124-royal-caribbean-data-breach/

Edited by uktog

Not received an email, yet, we only started booking direct after this period so Royal Caribbean wouldn’t have had my main credit card details then. However the card I use for travel and would have been used for onboard accounts on Azamara and Royal Caribbean was compromised in May. Thought it strange as obviously I’d not use the card during the pandemic, spotted the tester debits and the bank sorted it quickly, now wondering if there’s a connection.

Will be unhappy if our data is involved as we are extremely careful with this sort of information and there’s an expectation that large organisations will have sufficient security in place. Like Phil the BA data breach caused me enough inconvenience I don’t want to be dealing with this again.

2 hours ago, ikelmay said:

I just received the notification this morning.  I see passport details may have been obtained.  I've only just had an Equifax comped subscription expire because of an MGM data breach in June 2020.

Not impressed.

2 hours ago, munch1 said:

We just received this notice this morning  here in Ontario,Canada. Also not impressed !

36 minutes ago, Riocca said:

We both received emails yesterday but they went to junk, not happy as it opens us both up to identity fraud, we should have been told before and it appears RCL are just hoping it isn’t serious.

34 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I haven’t received a letter, but when I logged into my account, there was a warning about it. I can’t figure out how to change my password on the site. Can anyone advise me so I don’t have to spend hours on hold?

Betsey

Are these comments about Royal Caribbean Cruises specifically or Azamara Cruises specifically, or both?  Of these we have only used or are booked on Azamara and we've gotten neither an email nor does our account have any notification warning.

Edited by 1985rz1

9 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Are these comments about Royal Caribbean Cruises specifically or Azamara Cruises specifically, or both?

The back office IT system which is RCL’s responsibility, Azamara was part of the group at that time and unfortunately is still using their system. Just hoping Sycamore get their own system in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I haven’t received a letter, but when I logged into my account, there was a warning about it. I can’t figure out how to change my password on the site. Can anyone advise me so I don’t have to spend hours on hold?

Betsey

If you go to your account you should see your initials in the top right, press on that and a drop down menu appears go to profile, you’ll then see Sign-in information and you can then change your password information.

Unfortunately because of the crazy way the system works it also changes your Celebrity & RC password, it’s frustrating you can’t have separate passwords for each brand. I use password manager software and I’m constantly getting security alerts because of this.

14 minutes ago, Riocca said:

If you go to your account you should see your initials in the top right, press on that and a drop down menu appears go to profile, you’ll then see Sign-in information and you can then change your password information.

Unfortunately because of the crazy way the system works it also changes your Celebrity & RC password, it’s frustrating you can’t have separate passwords for each brand. I use password manager software and I’m constantly getting security alerts because of this.

Thanks so much, Riocca! I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I haven’t had an email about it, but have only ever booked Azamara, not any other RCL brand.

It's difficult to know what info they obtained and from where. I have cruised Celebrity and Royal, but not so much and not recently. I'm thinking they are now just getting round to contacting Azamara guests, but who knows?  It would seem an employee has opened a malicious email to set this all off, but once again I'm not sure. 

It's all very tiring. As I said earlier I was part of the BA class action for their data breach that has just concluded. I believe I was also part of the easyjet one, but can't remember. I have signed up via Money Savings Expert to my credit history. BA paid for a year of membership of Experien, but the MSE one sems to do the trick. I've also been notified that my email is on the Dark Web. All so annoying. 

Phil 

We have not had any email regarding a security breach "down under" and I see so far no posts from other Australians saying they have received this email.

We have not done any Royal cruises and just a couple of Celebrity. Most of our cruising life has been with Azamara.

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I haven't gotten anything, and don't see any warning when I log on to my Azamara or Celebrity accounts.  But I have never sailed with Royal nor created an account on their website.

I am trying to figure this out.  I have not had any notifications and I have sailed on RCI, Celebrity and Azamara! 

3 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

We have not had any email regarding a security breach "down under" and I see so far no posts from other Australians saying they have received this email.

We have not done any Royal cruises and just a couple of Celebrity. Most of our cruising life has been with Azamara.

Have not received an email regarding this either.  We have had several sailings on all three brands but mostly Azamara.

• Like 1