Getting a Refund

34 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Who do you call / email to resolve a refund discrepancy if the customer service rep is unable to handle satisfactorily? 

Depends if it's a TA or RCI itself. RCI, just call back and if needed, escalate. For a TA, try to get another rep or supervisor.

What type of discrepancy?  Like Biker19 stated, TA or escalate within RC to a supervisor or manager.  If it is a refund back to a credit card, then the next step is dispute with your bank.  Just take detailed notes on date and times you called, who you spoke to, what was advised and what the policy is (save links or screenshots).  The more documentation you have the better it will be for you to get the dispute resolved in your favor with your bank.  But only do that as a LAST RESORT.  Try all you can to get it resolved by RC, because if you file the dispute and you don't win the dispute, then you typically have no additional recourse through your financial institution and RC.

If it is for a FCC, then go up the chain at RC.  If no phone reps will help you, reach out over email to Guest Relations: RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.  If that doesn't work, reach out to the executive relations team.

Aurora Yera–Rodriguez
AVP, Guest Experience
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

Edited by TheBucketLister
  • Like 1

It's not through a TA.

Royal refunded a deposit to me for a cruise that they cancelled. However, I did not get the refund. They did NOT refund it to the card that I made the deposit from, and I cannot understand why.... Needless to say, I am less than happy.  I think, but can't confirm, that it may have been sent to a card / account that has been closed. Royal suggested I call the financial institution, which I did. The bank has no record of this, and told me if they received a refund for a cancelled account, they would reject it. I called Royal back, and they cannot help me because they already processed the refund. The financial institution cannot help me because they have no record of the refund. Any ideas how I get my money back?

That is odd with what the bank said.  Most banks will always accept a refund even if the account is closed.  If it is closed then they would just send a check to you for the amount over what, if any, balance was owed.  Call Royal and get the bank/refund transaction number.  Most banks can use this number to track a refund or payment.  If they give this to you then contact your bank and give them that number, to see if they can track it down.

If all else fails, contact those in my original message.  Unfortunately if both the bank and RC will not help you, after going through all appropriate channels, the only other option is legal recourse.

One more option is contacting a travel advocate for issues such as these.  I remember in the past reading articles in our local paper about an advocate who did this and he always gave his web address, but for the life of me, can't remember his name.  If I find it I will post back.

Travel Advocate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

That is odd with what the bank said.  Most banks will always accept a refund even if the account is closed.  If it is closed then they would just send a check to you for the amount over what, if any, balance was owed.  Call Royal and get the bank/refund transaction number.  Most banks can use this number to track a refund or payment.  If they give this to you then contact your bank and give them that number, to see if they can track it down.

If all else fails, contact those in my original message.  Unfortunately if both the bank and RC will not help you, after going through all appropriate channels, the only other option is legal recourse.

Thank you. I will keep trying. Very frustrating.

21 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Thank you. I will keep trying. Very frustrating.

You're welcome.  Hopefully you will get this resolved soon.  I had the same kind of issue with a PayPal refund and my bank, which was going back to a card that was cancelled by the bank proactively because it was possibly compromised in a 3rd party hack.  PayPal said they sent it, bank said they never received it.  It was very frustrating, and it was nothing but each blaming the other.  It only got resolved after I mentioned legal action to the executive relations team at my bank and then, and only then, did they work with PayPal to get it resolved.  I feel your pain, it is very frustrating indeed.

Edit to my other post:  I believe his name is Christopher Elliott and he runs the Elliott Advocacy.  I don't think I can post the link here, but you should find it by searching for it.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with a non cruise refund on a closed Chase credit card.  Chase told me the credit was rejected by them because the account had been closed more than six months.  I eventually was able to get the merchant (a theatre in this case) to apply the credit to an active account.

• Like 1

I had the same issue.  It literally took 9 months to get it fixed.  My financial institution had ZERO record of any money coming to me from Royal and it wasn't floating around anyplace.

I disputed it, twice.  I even emailed my contacts at Royal.  Honestly I can't even remember how I finally got it back.  But it took 9 months.  Argh

• Like 1

I have not read all the postings, but I hope it works out for you.  I was concerned when Carnival cancelled our trip two days before our cruise.  I did book through a Carnival agent, and did NOT want a future credit.  I know the ship companies would like for people to do the credit, instead of giving the full money back, but Carnival did!  I just hope if this happens with RCL cancelling our cruise the first part of January, they follow through like Carnival, and give me my money back  FAST, without having to wait many months to get it back.

I just cancelled a cruise today --- done through my TA.  All I had on the reservations was a $500 deposit.  My TA said the RC agent said it would take about 8 weeks to get it credited back to my card.  Seems like a long time --- hope it really doesn't take that long.

Italy52, I hope you get your money back.  As yet, I have not put the final deposit down, and I'm hoping and praying that once I do it, the cruise will not be cancelled out in January, as I don't want to go through all the trouble of trying to get my money back, as it is like pulling teeth! 😞

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I just cancelled a cruise today --- done through my TA.  All I had on the reservations was a $500 deposit.  My TA said the RC agent said it would take about 8 weeks to get it credited back to my card.  Seems like a long time --- hope it really doesn't take that long.

We had a cruise cancelled by RC in early August with just a $500 deposit. They refunded part of it promptly, but it is $203 short? When I called, the cruise line said it was a glitch and the $203 will be refunded in 30 to 45 business days...or call again. :classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, superduper123 said:

It's not through a TA.

Royal refunded a deposit to me for a cruise that they cancelled. However, I did not get the refund. They did NOT refund it to the card that I made the deposit from, and I cannot understand why.... Needless to say, I am less than happy.  I think, but can't confirm, that it may have been sent to a card / account that has been closed. Royal suggested I call the financial institution, which I did. The bank has no record of this, and told me if they received a refund for a cancelled account, they would reject it. I called Royal back, and they cannot help me because they already processed the refund. The financial institution cannot help me because they have no record of the refund. Any ideas how I get my money back?

I recently got a refund from royal on a card number no longer in use.  (I think the credit went through because the account is still active, just old number).

Royal has a bad habit of refunding random amounts to random cards.

10 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I recently got a refund from royal on a card number no longer in use.  (I think the credit went through because the account is still active, just old number).

Royal has a bad habit of refunding random amounts to random cards.

The same thing happened to me, TWICE.  The second time, I figured this might had happened so I emailed RCCL and asked them to send me invoice receipts as to where my money went.  Sure enough, it was on a prepaid debit card that originally expired 2 years ago, I had it reactivated to get my first refund and then had to reactivate it AGAIN this year when my Lift and Shift cruise got cancelled.  I have determined to never use a prepaid card again.  I will only use one card for all my travel.

• Thanks 1

The card is fine. There were 2 cruises, one this Dec. and one in Feb. Both were cancelled and there were like 10 refunds of various amounts. I called them and we reconciled the refunds on the Dec. cruise. The Feb. cruise, for some strange reason is $203 short. How do they even come up with a figure like that from a $500 deposit for 2 people? :classic_rolleyes:

When I received my refund back from Carnival after Carnival canceling our trip, two days before we were to cruise, I did not get all my money back, but I got most of it back, so I figured with all the trouble of trying to figure out "everything" I had paid for, before cruising, I was thankful I DID get most of the money back. 🙂

FYI:  Just wanted to report back and let you all know that I got my refund from RC for a cruise that we cancelled.  Had TA cancel the cruise on 9/10/21 and our refund of $500 was refunded back to our original card on 9/14/21. 

9 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

FYI:  Just wanted to report back and let you all know that I got my refund from RC for a cruise that we cancelled.  Had TA cancel the cruise on 9/10/21 and our refund of $500 was refunded back to our original card on 9/14/21. 

Wow you did good.  Mine was cancelled a month ago today and still nada

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Wow you did good.  Mine was cancelled a month ago today and still nada

Was your cruise cancelled by the line or yourself?  Mine was a simple cancellation (no FCCS) just a plain ole refund of my cruise deposit and nothing more.  After going through numerous long-awaited refunds from Princess I know it is no fun to wait for refunds.  Hope you get yours soon.

2 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Was your cruise cancelled by the line or yourself?  Mine was a simple cancellation (no FCCS) just a plain ole refund of my cruise deposit and nothing more.  After going through numerous long-awaited refunds from Princess I know it is no fun to wait for refunds.  Hope you get yours soon.

My TA cancelled two of them.  One was paid in full no FCC's on it and the other had a deposit and $100 FCC on it. Was supposed to get full refund for first one and $100 refund and $100 FCC for the other and have gotten nothing.  Both are still showing in My Cruise Planner.  

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

My TA cancelled two of them.  One was paid in full no FCC's on it and the other had a deposit and $100 FCC on it. Was supposed to get full refund for first one and $100 refund and $100 FCC for the other and have gotten nothing.  Both are still showing in My Cruise Planner.  

I had similar issues with Princess reservations.  Because the refunds were to be given out by various departments, I had to wait until one department cleared the item and then passed it along to the other.  Took a while but I finally got everything straightened out.  Yes, my cruises stayed in My Cruise Planner until all refunds were done.