Teppanyaki Social Distancing?

sfxthx

We are cruising Norwegian Epic in three days out of Rome. We did Teppanyaki on other cruises and it was always full. I am wondering how they do it in these times. We are a party of four (two different staterooms). Will we have one teppanyaki table for ourselves, or do we have to share it with others? Can someone help, who is currently onboard on one of the active ships?

Just now, sfxthx said:

We are cruising Norwegian Epic in three days out of Rome. We did Teppanyaki on other cruises and it was always full. I am wondering how they do it in these times. We are a party of four (two different staterooms). Will we have one teppanyaki table for ourselves, or do we have to share it with others? Can someone help, who is currently onboard on one of the active ships?

I can't speak for Epic, but since it is reduced capacity, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You might even be able to request a table, but not sure. It was shared experience on Encore last week. 

• Like 1

The normal set-up for the Teppanyaki experience is 8 persons to a table

2 on each of the sides and 4 facing the cook and table on the 4th side

With your party of 4 you would be sharing a table with 4 other guests

Can't emphasize enough to make your reservations for this experience

as soon as it become available - helps if you are in a Haven or suite to

have the Concierge to secure your reservations on board - at some 120

days before sailing only a limited number of reservations are taken.

If you don't score then IMMEDIATELY upon boarding seek out the

Dining reservation desk to score on the few seats left or held back in

reserve for the Concierge to use. There is no freestyle dress code for

this dining entertainment - often the first night of the cruise would be

the optimum opportunity to score a reservation - and if full see about

leaving your cabin number for a standby opportunity

The cooks are centered in a room with the 16 persons gathered

around 2 tables spacing between persons about an arm length away.

The NCL DAWN had seating for only 16 and soon realized the popularity

of this dining expanded it to 32 - the larger mega ships no doubt can

handle even more.

Everyone dines and is entertained at the same time - therefore there are

fixed reservations times about 2 hours apart with 3 of these times per night.

Depending on show times or other entertainment early or very late dining

maybe a better time for getting reservations.

CC member Readers may have something to add here - - -  

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If you are worried about social distancing, than it may be best to skip Teppanyaki.

Agree, no social distancing. That includes all venues. Getting on and off ship. MDRs, shows, bars, etc.

15 hours ago, sfxthx said:

You're vaxxed.  They're vaxxed.  Is that an absolute guarantee that you won't get COVID?  No, but it's pretty close.  And if you did get infected, the chances of it being "hospital grade" serious are miniscule.

We have a japenese steakhouse at home that my DH and I go to occasionally. They offer the hibatchi and regular seats so we normally use the regular seats. But last time we were there we could see into the hibatchi section. They made these plexiglass barriers on  stands that they put between different parties sitting at the same table. 

15 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

The normal set-up for the Teppanyaki experience is 8 persons to a table

2 on each of the sides and 4 facing the cook and table on the 4th side

With your party of 4 you would be sharing a table with 4 other guests

Can't emphasize enough to make your reservations for this experience

as soon as it become available - helps if you are in a Haven or suite to

have the Concierge to secure your reservations on board - at some 120

days before sailing only a limited number of reservations are taken.

If you don't score then IMMEDIATELY upon boarding seek out the

Dining reservation desk to score on the few seats left or held back in

reserve for the Concierge to use. There is no freestyle dress code for

this dining entertainment - often the first night of the cruise would be

the optimum opportunity to score a reservation - and if full see about

leaving your cabin number for a standby opportunity

The cooks are centered in a room with the 16 persons gathered

around 2 tables spacing between persons about an arm length away.

The NCL DAWN had seating for only 16 and soon realized the popularity

of this dining expanded it to 32 - the larger mega ships no doubt can

handle even more.

Everyone dines and is entertained at the same time - therefore there are

fixed reservations times about 2 hours apart with 3 of these times per night.

Depending on show times or other entertainment early or very late dining

maybe a better time for getting reservations.

CC member Readers may have something to add here - - -  

I see that you highly recommend this on the first night. I have a reservation for the first night but was thinking of changing to the seafood or steakhouse. What is so special about this place? Food? Atmosphere? Show? I'm going solo so I did think it would be a good way to mingle with other passengers but the other restaurants are more to my taste.

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I see that you highly recommend this on the first night. I have a reservation for the first night but was thinking of changing to the seafood or steakhouse. What is so special about this place? Food? Atmosphere? Show? I'm going solo so I did think it would be a good way to mingle with other passengers but the other restaurants are more to my taste.

I've been to Teppanyaki on various ships.  Skipping it on my next cruise.  The food is tasty enough but the "show" is a bit corny.  

I think your idea is a good one:  If you're travelling solo, maybe you'll manage to connect with a few people at Teppanyaki versus other restaurants.  I'd also suggest finding your cruise's roll call and posting there.  Chances are you'll find people who would be happy to have you join their table at other restaurants.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Depending on who you are seated with is could be good for mixing with others, or they'll be too self involved. 

The first teppanyaki we did with Norwegian some 20 years ago it was a nice experience, elegantly zen and calm but the chefs had great showmanship. The last one we did, in 2020 on the Jewel, it was too many tables crammed into too little space full of cooking smoke that the exhaust fans couldn't handle with headache-inducing constant spatula clanging on the grills. The food is always good, but it's become a circus. 

• Like 1

YES the JEWEL Teppanyaki is in need of a few more square feet of space. As is tucked

away in a corner of the Chin Chin restaurant deck 7 and when the meal is finished exiting

out a side door into a deck 7 passageway.

Smoke I did not encounter - the banging of the spatula is all the part of the chef doing their

act to entertain but they do get carried away a bit.

As for reservations - the first night is the best choice as most other folks are making their

reservations for the more established restaurants - Cagney's Le Bistro La Cucina and the

other big name specialties on the mega ships - Oh and Los Lobos is not to be missed here.

Gaining in popularity.

In booking your reservation - can't get the exact time you need - book something close

and when you get on board visit the Dining Reservation Desk and barter to make the

adjustment you need. In a suite or the Haven have the Concierge put the magic touch

on getting those preferred times - however don't wait too long !

Remember if Platinum you have the two specialty meals and if your cruise package has the

bonus package 30% off and all 5 offers - have 2 specialty meals to work with totaling 4 free

meals.

A 7 day cruise leaves you with 3 at large options.

Some specialty restaurants cost more - plan carefully to use your coupons on these leaving

the 3 remaining nights open for a return to the less expensive ones or no charge MDR(s).

You can purchase additional specialty meals (max the number of days of the cruise)

if that is something that interests you.

Show time - reserving dining time can be a real task to fit it in - - -

Dine early - first show and others

Dine in mid schedule - miss the first show - take in the late show(s)

Last go to the first show and dine late

First night of the cruise no dress code - the remaining nights some of the restaurants are

smart casual with some restrictions - one of the MDR maybe more restrictive than the other

Bon Appetit with that Bon Voyage !

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

First night of the cruise no dress code - the remaining nights some of the restaurants are

smart casual with some restrictions - one of the MDR maybe more restrictive than the other

I've found very few restrictions on any NCL ship and hesitate to use the term "dress code" compared to other ships with formal nights etc.  On NCL, don't bother packing a tux, suit, ties, etc. unless you want to dress up.  They have one optional formal night and some people go all out for it.  I wear a suit and tie enough when I'm at work so I never bother.

That said, in Cagney's they used to ask for collared shirts (golf shirt is fine) and no shorts for men.  I don't recall the women's guidelines but it was along the same lines.  I didn't find that a lot to ask but I don't see even that on the website anymore, though I might be missing it.  

Personally, I'd feel out of place in the fancier joints (Cagney's and Le Bistro) wearing beach attire but that's just me.

9 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

I love teppanyaki on the ship! They give you enough food to feed an army. It's just something different,  and usually not many people in the restaurant when we go.

Yeah, when I've gone (and I'm a big guy) I've thought "Well, guess I'm stopping at the buffet after this!" but always leave full.  

8 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Depending on who you are seated with is could be good for mixing with others, or they'll be too self involved. 

I thought about this as well after I responded.  It's a coin flip; sometimes the people are engaging, sometimes not.  But I suppose that's anywhere!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Very good point about it's all about who you're seated with. I'm pretty social & will interject in a conversation when I'm around people, but now with covid it may not be appreciated!

3 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I thought about this as well after I responded.  It's a coin flip; sometimes the people are engaging, sometimes not.  But I suppose that's anywhere!

Though, if you're a person who is used to dining in restaurants alone, it's probably fine. The chef will probably engage you more if you're alone, and talking to others will engage them too.