PCR test results from CVS

dmcfad2

Has anyone done the PCR test at CVS and received their results within the two day timeframe? For my October cruise I am planning on doing the PCR test at CVS, as I haven’t found the rapid antigen test near me, but I’m feeling stressed about getting the results in time. Their website says 1-2 days. 

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

Has anyone done the PCR test at CVS and received their results within the two day timeframe? For my October cruise I am planning on doing the PCR test at CVS, as I haven’t found the rapid antigen test near me, but I’m feeling stressed about getting the results in time. Their website says 1-2 days. 

Have you looked at Quest Diagnostics.  They do rapid antigen tests nationwide for about $25. They have a location in Oceanside.

Hank

I did the CVS drive thru PCR test last month here in Southern California.  I had the results by the evening of the next day.  However, I plan on doing the CVS minute clinic antigen test for my Oct cruise.  I also grabbed a 6 pack of the emed/BinaxNow test kit just as a back up.  I have a back to back cruise in Dec too, so I plan on bring 2 of these with me just in case HAL isn't able to do their promised test at the end of the first cruise to clear me for the second cruise.

1 hour ago, psxer989 said:

I did the CVS drive thru PCR test last month here in Southern California.  I had the results by the evening of the next day.  However, I plan on doing the CVS minute clinic antigen test for my Oct cruise.  I also grabbed a 6 pack of the emed/BinaxNow test kit just as a back up.  I have a back to back cruise in Dec too, so I plan on bring 2 of these with me just in case HAL isn't able to do their promised test at the end of the first cruise to clear me for the second cruise.

The Binax test is good idea. Are they tele-monitored? I have another cruise in December. They would be good to have on hand.

After more searching, I was able to find a rapid test near me at Hummingbird and they will bill my insurance. I’ve made our appointments. I feel much better now. Thanks for your response!

3 minutes ago, High Flyer said:

I did the test at walgreens last week just to see how it goes before our Jan cruise and the results were on my pc in 45 minutes.  I was at Quest today and they said there was NO Quest in the county doing rapid testing.🤕

I checked Quest and I couldn’t get their website to work for me. 

Edited by dmcfad2

To answer your original question, we took the CVS PCR test in California through their minute clinic drive through test site (not sure about an antigen test) back in August on 8/18/21 about 2pm. We got the result via email at 7pm on 8/19/21, and needed it by 12noon on the 21st, so pretty fast. We also did a Worksite (Express test, I think) PCR test pre-flight about 10am on the 19th and got that back about an hour after the CVS one on the 19th. Of course, that one cost $150pp.🤔Did like the speed, though. Will probably use Worksite for the next cruise if needed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I've taken the PCR test at CVS three times.  All three times, the results were available within 36 hours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, High Flyer said:

I did the test at walgreens last week just to see how it goes before our Jan cruise and the results were on my pc in 45 minutes.  I was at Quest today and they said there was NO Quest in the county doing rapid testing.🤕

My DH also had a test done at Walgreens last week to see how prompt the results were. They had quoted 24 hours, but his results were emailed in 45 minutes also. The only problem I see with Walgreens is they only book appointments two days in advance.

• Like 1

imo all cruise lines should be doing the rapid test at the port . Norwegian is doing it now . To place the stress on the customer imo is wrong    .If this continues ,we will cancel our March cruise  . in general I feel  that the cruise lines need to be more accommodative   to the public ,if they want the publics business & money 

The older we get  the more services we expect 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

Is NCL the only cruise line doing tests at check in? If so, they are the minority. I would imagine doing tests as part of check in slows down the whole process. Embarking on the NA two weeks ago was the fastest it has ever been for me, showing the vaccine card, the test results, boarding pass, passport and away we go.

27 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

imo all cruise lines should be doing the rapid test at the port . Norwegian is doing it now . To place the stress on the customer imo is wrong    .If this continues ,we will cancel our March cruise  . in general I feel  that the cruise lines need to be more accommodative   to the public ,if they want the publics business & money 

Should Hawaii provide tests to all who travel there that are not vaccinated? That would have been hundreds of thousands per month...millions since they opened the state back up last October.

Expecting things doesn't always go well with reality. 

24 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Is NCL the only cruise line doing tests at check in? If so, they are the minority. I would imagine doing tests as part of check in slows down the whole process. Embarking on the NA two weeks ago was the fastest it has ever been for me, showing the vaccine card, the test results, boarding pass, passport and away we go.

A couple that had must gotten off an Alaska NCL cruise stopped by our mini-railroad last Saturday. They had a great time on the cruise, enjoyed good weather, etc. But... they did mention that boarding was a real pain because of the testing.

That said, for those individuals that have attempted to get tests but do not yet have test results, HAL says they will test at the pier.

39 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

HAL is testing us at the pier in Amsterdam next month at no charge.  And I think they will be swabbing us a few more times before arriving in Fort Lauderdale. 

I still need to be tested prior to landing in Amsterdam though and appreciate this post so I can understand how real the results come in based on where/how/when you get a test...It's a complicated formula to meet and I think (as many are doing) I'll have redundant plans so hopefully I can meet the complicated requirements somehow.

After this cruise, I do think we are going to re-evalute future cruises based on this hassle factor....It may not be worth it to us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

HAL is testing us at the pier in Amsterdam next month at no charge.  And I think they will be swabbing us a few more times before arriving in Fort Lauderdale. 

I still need to be tested prior to landing in Amsterdam though and appreciate this post so I can understand how real the results come in based on where/how/when you get a test...It's a complicated formula to meet and I think (as many are doing) I'll have redundant plans so hopefully I can meet the complicated requirements somehow.

After this cruise, I do think we are going to re-evalute future cruises based on this hassle factor....It may not be worth it to us.

It does make taking a cruise stressful, worrying about finding a test and getting results in time. I have 4 cruises booked right now. If this new testing place works out that I found, it will make it much less stressful for me on the next three!

Regardless  of  what other cruise lines are doing now ,I can honestly tell you people in my age category  ,80s are not fond of getting stressed  with having covid test results 2 days before a cruise embarkation .Then what if any person  finds that they did take the test but ,the testing site fails to get them the results in time for the cruise ,does the cruise line deny boarding & KEEP their money .??  

My question is to both the cruise line & younger people who wants 80 year olds to cruise with HAL as well as people in their 70s  , when are you going to  be more accommodative to your  customers ?

Should  HAL balk at  the quick resting  at  the embarkation  terminal ,it is simple we change to the cruise line that accommodates us or we decide to spend our money on a land trip or even a all inclusive   . 

From a marketing perspective , HAL can be seen from their senior  cruisers as a line with out empathy  & thus suffer the consequences  of  smaller & smaller revenue streams    .Their choice !

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Regardless  of  what other cruise lines are doing now ,I can honestly tell you people in my age category  ,80s are not fond of getting stressed  with having covid test results 2 days before a cruise embarkation .Then what if any person  finds that they did take the test but ,the testing site fails to get them the results in time for the cruise ,does the cruise line deny boarding & KEEP their money .??  

My question is to both the cruise line & younger people who wants 80 year olds to cruise with HAL as well as people in their 70s  , when are you going to  be more accommodative to your  customers ?

I think it would be nice if HAL offered testing at the port for those who didn't want to stress about finding a test and getting results or for those who tested but didn't get their results in time. One would still have the option of getting their own test elsewhere before the cruise and then wouldn't have to wait in line to test at the port. It would be each passengers choice. Don't want to wait in a long line? Then, find a testing facility that delivers rapid tests before you go.

I did see where HAL is trying to come up with testing options at the port for those who already tested but didn't get results in time, but I don't think that is in place yet. @mcrcruiserI understand how you feel, especially as we get older and don't want or need the added stress. Cruising should be a pleasant escape, not lying in bed worrying about test results. Shortening the window to two days made it even worse.

The facts of this virus is it id going to be in this world for a very long time . Reason is there is almost 8 billion people  in the world today & vaccines need toc get to at least 80 to 85 % for herd immunity  . Any one can do the math ;as it is going to be a kengthy procedure if  the mutations are to be controlled  . All cruise lines with need to be accommodative or go out of business .  The  virus  is  very tough & stubborn  disease  & easily spread . The only defenses are vaccination & masks ,at this & foreseeable future 

7 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I think it would be nice if HAL offered testing at the port for those who didn't want to stress about finding a test and getting results or for those who tested but didn't get their results in time. One would still have the option of getting their own test elsewhere before the cruise and then wouldn't have to wait in line to test at the port. It would be each passengers choice. Don't want to wait in a long line? Then, find a testing facility that delivers rapid tests before you go.

I did see where HAL is trying to come up with testing options at the port for those who already tested but didn't get results in time, but I don't think that is in place yet. @mcrcruiserI understand how you feel, especially as we get older and don't want or need the added stress. Cruising should be a pleasant escape, not lying in bed worrying about test results. Shortening the window to two days made it even worse.

That makes common sense  ,not the posts of people who only think about themselves  .Thank you for posting the alternatives  . We will balk at any government or industry that attempts  to place pressure on us or fellow  Americans . My question is what   American caves into  corporate or government pressures ,especially about a virus that was placed upon them by a communist regime 

We got vaccinated  & personally ,I had a serious reaction of  hard to breathe 5 hours post vaccination .It was the JnJ vaccine ,Yet ,I knew that vaccines help  &  got vaccinated to be healthy & for  being around others  ,. Then the government finds that this is insufficient  & says that all  who are vaccinated must get a booster ,Well the FDA  just said  that no to booster shots  .The real problem is  no one truly knows & all these critical decisions need to be left to medical science ;as medical science is still learning about this virus as it goes forward 

Edited by mcrcruiser

@mcrcruiser...what the government said was no booster for the general public. The FDA advisory committee did specifically say YES to those over 65, and those with significant health concerns. (Note, the FDA's comments are only one part of the process to approval.) From your past posts, it would seem you are absolutely a candidate for a booster shot, besides those specific definitions, due to the fact you got single shot J&J, which has been proven to be less effective.

By the way, J&J is said to be several months away from when they might seek approval for booster shots.

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@mcrcruiser...what the government said was no booster for the general public. The FDA advisory committee did specifically say YES to those over 65, and those with significant health concerns. (Note, the FDA's comments are only one part of the process to approval.) From your past posts, it would seem you are absolutely a candidate for a booster shot, besides those specific definitions, due to the fact you got single shot J&J, which has been proven to be less effective.

By the way, J&J is said to be several months away from when they might seek approval for booster shots.

Exactly the problems that even the vaccine makers are having difficulties with  coming up with appropriate  boosters which they now call it . How about vaccines liking to the  yearly flu shot .  Although my wife & I would gladly get the new JnJ vaccine if & when available  still does not make this virus a thing of the past .Words alone will never make this go away or should I say appropriate prayers to God by  a righteous  America & the world would have imo more of a impact getting rid of this virus than any vaccine known to man   ;but  America & this world must first humble itself & ask God for forgiveness   . All should understand that the feeble process of men is exactly what it is ;but  to the God who created the universe could easily snuff this virus out forever with just one word from Him  . 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1