La Palma volcano has erupted

Cathygh

I was just thinking about booking Ventura's trip to the Canaries in October when I discovered the volcano on La Palma has eerupted today. I do hope everyone is safe. I have no idea if this will effect cruises/other travel to the region, as if Covid hasn't been enough

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/people-evacuated-spanish-island-la-palma-after-volcano-eruption-warning-2021-09-19/

Had a lovely stop in La Palma walking round the edge of the volcano’s caldera! 

Hope it calms down soon.

La Palma is beautiful.  The Caldera you walk around on the trip will be the large, older caldera which was blown out long ago. The active volcanic area is a string of volcanos following a fairly central line going towards the southern point if the island from there, so will be one of those.  Not at home at present, so not easy to see exactly which one is erupting at present, but that whole area is volcanic.

• Like 2

Think it is awful that some residents of La Palma have had to be evacuated from their villages and some have lost their homes and possibly everything they own yet some are hoping that the volcano continues to erupt so they can view it from their luxury cruise ship. The selfishness of some people really does make me wonder.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Think it is awful that some residents of La Palma have had to be evacuated from their villages and some have lost their homes and possibly everything they own yet some are hoping that the volcano continues to erupt so they can view it from their luxury cruise ship. The selfishness of some people really does make me wonder.

BBC news was reporting earlier that the tourist board over there are hoping to.get more people visiting to view the volcanic activity (at a safe distance), hence increase their revenue from tourism. So not just tourists visiting.  The area around the volcanic area is mostly pretty desolate, so is already just covered with rocky lava flows of. Yes, there are some villages around and I  not suggesting that it is ok for that to happen, but buying a property in what is an active volcano area will always have risks, along with the good views  enjoyed from the property whilst still habitable.

A bit like people buying properties in Britain which are with flood risk areas or near to coasts which are eroding.  Properties in those locations are relatively cheap, but that is because of the risks taken.  All swings and roundabouts really. Expressing a wish to visit will not make any difference to what nature does.

Also the volcanic area is a tourist venue itself, and was before there

The 1949 eruption on La Palma lasted 6 weeks, it is difficult to predict how long this eruption will go on for, but fairly certain tourists won’t be allowed into the area for sometime. 

If you want to see an active volcano take a trip to Italy Stromboli erupts on a regular basis, we saw it erupt when on a cruise there in 2017. 

As for experiencing an earthquake, having experienced a Magnitude 6 quake when in Greece in late 1990s it is very scary I can assure you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

I wouldn’t want any harm to people or their homes, and if I gave that impression it wasn’t intended and I apologise. 

I try to see the good in people and if you read the above you will see Les wanted to see a live volcano ,

not people suffering or losing their homes . 

• Like 3