NSW Treasurer Says Cruise Should Return Once Borders Open As Ship Owners Launch New Campaign

NSW Treasurer Says Cruise Should Return Once Borders Open As Ship Owners Launch New Campaign

NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet has called for the restart of cruise in Australia when international borders reopen – expected before Christmas.

The treasurer told an industry forum this week: “It doesn’t make sense when we open our international borders for people to fly overseas to go cruising without being able to do so here.”

And he promised: “I’ll work closely with the Federal Government to ensure that as part of our plan to reopen borders, cruising can steam ahead alongside all aspects of the tourism industry.”

It is understood that Mr Perrottet has had several conversations with the Federal Government on the restart of cruise locally, particularly in NSW.

And he told Cruise Passenger: “The return of the cruise industry would obviously need to meet a range of health and safety criteria and also be approved by the Commonwealth before operations can begin.

“The cruise industry is a very important segment of the travel market and we look forward to the greatest harbour in the world being able to welcome ships from around the world once again when it is safe to do so.”

His statements came as a new Cruise Lines International Association Australasia campaign calling on past passengers and travel agents to send messages to MPs and ministers calling for talks on the way forward for cruising holidays in Australia.......

Read More here >

Source: Cruise Passenger https://cruisepassenger.com.au/nsw-treasurer-pledges-help-and-says-cruise-should-ride-the-wave-of-berejiklian-reopening/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sewgood said:

The message I get from this is that while NSW is keen to reopen to cruising when international borders open, cruising will still be subject to the whim of the federal government.

And the other State Government, especially now that WA and QLD want 90% vaccination rate before they will open their borders.😡 The closed borders are popular with the voters in those two States.

49 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The closed borders are popular with the voters in those two States.

I understand the frustration, but not dying or getting a chronic illness is always popular. There's been about 150 deaths in NSW so far in this outbreak. Lockdowns are also popular in SA, NT and Tas.

The lockdown is the responsibility of the state government that allowed covid to get out of control, not the governments that are successfully controlling it.

Queensland has not said it wants 90% before opening, it's only said that it may take 90% before it's safe enough to open, depending on conditions at the time. Which is pretty much what all the state governments other than NSW are saying once you get past their hedging, that they'll open when it's safe enough to do so, not based on a magic number.

Opening at 80% or even 70% would have been a lot easier had delta been contained by the NSW govt and not running wild as it is now. As it is it's easy to see most states and territories needing 90% to open, unless NSW can get it's numbers way down from where they are now.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

And the other State Government, especially now that WA and QLD want 90% vaccination rate before they will open their borders.😡 The closed borders are popular with the voters in those two States.

Qld and WA will be closed for years at this rate.

22 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Qld and WA will be closed for years at this rate.

NSW today locked down the Byron, Kempsey and Tweed council areas. That's on top of the existing lockdowns for Bayside, Blacktown, Burwood, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool, Parramatta, Strathfield, and some suburbs of Penrith.

They also recorded 1022 cases and 10 deaths.

Yet it's Qld and WA's fault. I just don't get all the Qld and WA hate. ☹️

Just now, cruiselover53 said:

Good to know there are still some Queenslanders that like to blame NSW for everything. Reminds me of the good old days of Joh

I just saw Qld and WA getting blamed for delaying a proposed opening that hasn't even happened yet, while NSW records 1022 cases and 10 deaths.

Those are the numbers that will delay any opening, not other states.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

The closed borders are popular with the voters in those two States.

Not so much anymore. I'm from WA and was all for the protections offered to begin with, but myself and many others are now getting frustrated with "Daddy Mark" constantly moving the goalposts. It's meaning there's hesitation in some people getting vaxxed to the detriment of those of us that have been, purely because he isn't giving people much hope.

An interesting aside, I was just on holidays in Tassie and found it very interesting how many locals and visitors from other states were asking how we managed to leave the state and how we were planning on getting it back in, if we had to quarantine or whatnot. It seems that there's a lot of misunderstanding over exactly how the WA border works.

Edited by ivanp91
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

NSW today locked down the Byron, Kempsey and Tweed council areas. That's on top of the existing lockdowns for Bayside, Blacktown, Burwood, Campbelltown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Cumberland, Fairfield, Georges River, Liverpool, Parramatta, Strathfield, and some suburbs of Penrith.

I don't get your rabid hatred for NSW.🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plus most regional areas of NSW, like my area Eurobodalla.    They opened up Bega Valley LGA to our south, now from reports many Canberrans have snuck illegally out of the ACT to Merimbula, a favourite haunt.

14 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Like the State of Origin, State against State.  It is inevitable that Qld will soon get hit hard with Covid like NSW and Victoria.  Watch this space.

I just saw Qld and WA getting blamed for delaying a proposed opening that hasn't even happened yet, while NSW records 1022 cases and 10 deaths.

Those are the numbers that will delay any opening, not other states.

We might not be allowed into WA and QLD, from the States with covid cases, however other Countries will welcome us; even if our fellow Australian's won't.

The United States will ease inbound foreign travel restrictions beginning in November, allowing visitors in if they have proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test.

Fiji has announced plans to reopen its borders to tourists by November 1. 

2 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

What hate? I just pointed out the obvious. If there is any delay to opening up, it will be because the NSW govt let delta escape and can't get it under control. That virus load will mean that a higher percentage of people will likely need to be vaccinated in the other states before border closures can come down without killing inordinate numbers of people.

This is not the fault of Qld or WA, and I wouldn't have to repeat it if people weren't insistent that it was.

The other point is that inconvenient as they are, border closures work. Whether they are LGA borders or state borders. Otherwise NSW wouldn't be using them. So why single out particular states?

Now that it is throughout NSW, it is inevitable that covid will get across the Qld border. The whole point of the exercise is to ensure enough people are vaccinated when that happens so that hospitals and medicals services are not overwhelmed. It's all the timing. Which the NSW govt is ignoring.

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We might not be allowed into WA and QLD, from the States with covid cases, however other Countries will welcome us; even if our fellow Australian's won't.

The United States will ease inbound foreign travel restrictions beginning in November, allowing visitors in if they have proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test.

Fiji has announced plans to reopen its borders to tourists by November 1. 

USA and Fiji are covid infested.

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We might not be allowed into WA and QLD

As I understand it, at the moment you aren't allowed into half the LGAs in Sydney.

In a future opening up you may be allowed in some areas and not others. It will depend on what happens with the virus.

Blaming states for things that haven't yet happened seems particularly futile. At the very worst the difference in approach between NSW and the other states is a matter of weeks, not years.

2 hours ago, ivanp91 said:

Not so much anymore. I'm from WA and was all for the protections offered to begin with, but myself and many others are now getting frustrated with "Daddy Mark" constantly moving the goalposts. It's meaning there's hesitation in some people getting vaxxed to the detriment of those of us that have been, purely because he isn't giving people much hope.

An interesting aside, I was just on holidays in Tassie and found it very interesting how many locals and visitors from other states were asking how we managed to leave the state and how we were planning on getting it back in, if we had to quarantine or whatnot. It seems that there's a lot of misunderstanding over exactly how the WA border works.

I am also from WA and am getting fed up with Mark and his enablers. My family, including my under 30yo sons and my friends all got vaccinated as soon as eligible. I have heard from others that since we don't have Covid here in WA that they will get vaccinated sometime but they're not wanting to yet. So if Mark is going to wait for those people to be ready and get vaccinated to reach his proposed 80-90% to open up we could be locked up well into the second half of next year. 

Personally I think if Mark drew a line in the sand once we have enough vaccine available plus put more pop up clinics and mobile units in rural areas we would get there much quicker and wouldn't be the slowest State around.

I did check about going to South Australia and Tassie later in the year for a holiday and know at the moment we don't have to quarantine but I am concerned about snap closures while away.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:20 AM, By The Bay said:

Think Queensland will struggle as they rely a lot on tourism, will be interesting to see as time goes on.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, sewgood said:

Thanks for the updates on WA. We don't really hear much over here about what the general feeling is in the WA community about the state's lockdown.

I know what you mean in using the term "lockdown", in that you aren't intending it in the same sense as NSW, VIC, etc at the present time. I just know there are some people that will see the word "lockdown" in reference to WA, try to correlate it with the hard border, and assume that we are under restrictions for no reason (aside from the border, we're under none at all).

12 hours ago, ivanp91 said:

I know what you mean in using the term "lockdown", in that you aren't intending it in the same sense as NSW, VIC, etc at the present time. I just know there are some people that will see the word "lockdown" in reference to WA, try to correlate it with the hard border, and assume that we are under restrictions for no reason (aside from the border, we're under none at all).

You are correct. It was an incorrect use of the word, I should have used a phrase to indicate that the WA border was closed to some states.

I must be hearing lockdown too often here in NSW.