Prohibited items

neverlaysup

4 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Wrong, they removed the items and then delivered suitcase. 

Feels very much as though another corporate policy was ignored by security on this ship.  Again, have never seen such issues dealt with this way (removal without passenger present, much less removal without notification).  You'd have to believe that RCCL's risk management group would at some point have already considered the potential consequences of that approach to dealing with 'contraband' and nixed it for obvious reasons. 

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

They did however hint that Celebrity may be changing the policy on women's hair care appliances and they were just ahead of the curve, these may be banned in the future. Or they were just trying to save a little face since they were forced to give it back.

This made me look up information on fires caused by hair straighteners.  Apparently they, and certain high-temp curling irons, can be a common cause of house fires. Some, if left on, can reach temps of 450 to 600 degrees--enough to ignite paper and some other materials. There are a number of sources, including forensic fire analyses, that come up with a Google search on "hair straightener fires" as a term.

X doesn't let us bring many devices with even lower temperatures (coffee makers, etc), and other items we think of as safe (UL-listed extension cords, for example) due to the special hazards associated with fires on ships.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is indeed a movement to ban them on board. I wouldn't even be surprised if that Security Chief had dealt with a problem that made him decide to take matters into his own hands.

But even if there is a rational explanation, common courtesy should should have mandated better treatment of the OP's wife and an attempt at an early resolution!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

This made me look up information on fires caused by hair straighteners.  Apparently they, and certain high-temp curling irons, can be a common cause of house fires. Some, if left on, can reach temps of 450 to 600 degrees--enough to ignite paper and some other materials. There are a number of sources, including forensic fire analyses, that come up with a Google search on "hair straightener fires" as a term.

X doesn't let us bring many devices with even lower temperatures (coffee makers, etc), and other items we think of as safe (UL-listed extension cords, for example) due to the special hazards associated with fires on ships.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is indeed a movement to ban them on board. I wouldn't even be surprised if that Security Chief had dealt with a problem that made him decide to take matters into his own hands.

But even if there is a rational explanation, common courtesy should should have mandated better treatment of the OP's wife and an attempt at an early resolution!

I agree, those appliances have a tremendous power draw and can get very hot. All that being said, if a cruise line were to tell all women and some male passengers that no hair appliance may be brought on board and they can only use the dollar store hair dryer provided, there may be quite a few less cruisers. I have a feeling that they were only saving a bit of face with their parting comments but I will keep checking the policies before we cruise again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest that your wife fills in the mid cruise survey.

We were on Silhouette recently and were asked to fill in a survey mid cruise.

I did, as our pre booked excursion time was changed x2, but the app still showed the original time.

We were also encouraged to use the app to order our food. BUT the app doesn’t show the dietary symbols and as I am Dairy Intolerant, I need them.

I filled in the mid cruise survey, pointing out that the app needed fixing.

A bottle of wine appeared in our cabin on the last day. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Surprised the items were taken from the suitcase, this is why we keep ours locked. 

This is what surprises me most…

As we often combine cruises with land stays our suitcases are often packed to the limit! The thought of strangers opening and searching our cases without us present just seems unnecessary. We understand at airports they are unable to have a naughty room but on a cruise ship? The system of the naughty room has worked well for years, why change it? Knowing there is a naughty room makes us pack wisely, accepting with good grace that at times security may need to check items in our cases means we are kept safe…

Few misconceptions here.  First off, checked bags are screened in the terminal, not onboard the ship, the ship does not have sufficient space or equipment to do this, nor does the crew have the time on turn around day.  Once the bags are on the carts, that's it until they take the carts to the various decks to unload them.

Secondly, unless Celebrity's ticket contract is different than all other cruise lines, you specifically give them the right to search not only your luggage, but also the cabin, without your notice or presence.

As for the items confiscated, that is a bit strange.  While the cruise lines do everything they can to prevent anything that creates heat from coming onboard, hair care appliances have always been the exception.  I suspect that port security thought they were something else, and Celebrity is trying to mask over the mistake.  I would schedule a meeting with the Hotel Director.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Few misconceptions here.  First off, checked bags are screened in the terminal, not onboard the ship, the ship does not have sufficient space or equipment to do this, nor does the crew have the time on turn around day.  Once the bags are on the carts, that's it until they take the carts to the various decks to unload them.

Secondly, unless Celebrity's ticket contract is different than all other cruise lines, you specifically give them the right to search not only your luggage, but also the cabin, without your notice or presence.

As for the items confiscated, that is a bit strange.  While the cruise lines do everything they can to prevent anything that creates heat from coming onboard, hair care appliances have always been the exception.  I suspect that port security thought they were something else, and Celebrity is trying to mask over the mistake.  I would schedule a meeting with the Hotel Director.

Who doesn’t know what a curling iron is?  And if they don’t, why didn’t they confiscate every other curling iron that went on board?  That would’ve been my first question to the security officer. Have they confiscated every other woman’s straightener and curling iron on the ship?  There’s no way she was the only woman with one. 

16 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Follow up to my previous post. In Seattle, your bags are apparently searched by the port authority before going on the boat and you will NOT be present for that search. Additionally, according to the head of security on the Millie, despite what Celebrity's website says, HE says hair straighteners are NOT allowed on his boat. 

I do hope port security checks for dangerous items (real ones I mean) before luggage is carted to the ship, but the thing is, I keep getting various different senses about what port "security" actually does beyond scan us and our carry-ons at the building entrance. There is respect behind the question but I really wish I knew how comprehensive their security efforts are.

I also phrase it "real ones" (dangerous items) as sort of tongue-in-cheek because too often these power players (including captains who make their own rules) come off as something close to grade-school bullies. It's pathetic, as well as an extreme nuisance and point of confusion.

12 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Final Update to this thread---

After creating uproar on CC, emailing every executive who works for Celebrity, taking to Celebrity's and LLP's Twitter accounts and having an amazing conversation with a completely unhelpful customer service agent, the hair straightener has been returned. Apparently two high ranking officers tracked her down at dinner to profusely apologize for confiscating the item and told her it would be waiting in her room tonight. They did however hint that Celebrity may be changing the policy on women's hair care appliances and they were just ahead of the curve, these may be banned in the future. Or they were just trying to save a little face since they were forced to give it back.

I am glad to hear that things were resolved.  Sorry to hear about the hassle, though.

I'm glad to hear that things are resolved, even if it took a great deal of effort and strife. 

We'll be watching policies, though. While neither I nor DW use curlers or straighteners, we will be traveling with a friend who does and was already concerned that she couldn't bring her straightener. If she actually can't, she may very well cancel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

I'm glad to hear that things are resolved, even if it took a great deal of effort and strife. 

We'll be watching policies, though. While neither I nor DW use curlers or straighteners, we will be traveling with a friend who does and was already concerned that she couldn't bring her straightener. If she actually can't, she may very well cancel. 

wow...

13 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Final Update to this thread---

After creating uproar on CC, emailing every executive who works for Celebrity, taking to Celebrity's and LLP's Twitter accounts and having an amazing conversation with a completely unhelpful customer service agent, the hair straightener has been returned. Apparently two high ranking officers tracked her down at dinner to profusely apologize for confiscating the item and told her it would be waiting in her room tonight. They did however hint that Celebrity may be changing the policy on women's hair care appliances and they were just ahead of the curve, these may be banned in the future. Or they were just trying to save a little face since they were forced to give it back.

IMO, yes. Lip service at its best. Wrong place and time to be apologizing. Should have been done in private not in a public venue. The two officers would have been better off just saying sorry about that, a misunderstanding, the mistake is being addressed with our security people. And sent some chocolate covered strawberries (😁) to her stateroom.  

41 minutes ago, canderson said:

Is anyone aware of any recent 'incidents' on any line that involved these particular tools?  Assuming X were to actually change this policy at some point in the future, would it be in reaction to some real event, or just another "What if" prohibition?

Ticket contracts typically prohibit (not the prohibited item list) "tools of the trade".  Though I think a single wrench would be taking it too far.

Edited by chengkp75

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Ticket contracts typically prohibit (not the prohibited item list) "tools of the trade".

My last one doesn't include these, but dates back to 2014.  Wouldn't be the first time X has had conflicting messaging, but would need someone with a recent contract to confirm your thought that the rules have changed.

To the original poster, I wish you had titled this thread differently. Perhaps "Celebrity stole item from wife's bag"  to get the interest this thread deserves. In my opinion, if someone removes an item from a bag without the owner's knowledge or consent and then does not leave any type of notification, it really is theft. I'm glad it worked out in the end, but it would likely give many of us pause if this has become Celebrity's new policy. I almost didn't read the post based on the title assuming it was another argument over what should and should not be allowed to be packed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sherylc said:

To the original poster, I wish you had titled this thread differently. Perhaps "Celebrity stole item from wife's bag"  to get the interest this thread deserves. In my opinion, if someone removes an item from a bag without the owner's knowledge or consent and then does not leave any type of notification, it really is theft. I'm glad it worked out in the end, but it would likely give many of us pause if this has become Celebrity's new policy. I almost didn't read the post based on the title assuming it was another argument over what should and should not be allowed to be packed. 

Looks like the title of the thread worked as it got at least 2.7K views. Obviously like a lot of other threads not everyone posts their comments to a thread they read.   

Reread post #82. Second paragraph. 

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, sherylc said:

In my opinion, if someone removes an item from a bag without the owner's knowledge or consent and then does not leave any type of notification, it really is theft.

From the Celebrity ticket contract:

Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

In the interests of safety and security, Passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically with or without the Passenger's consent or knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

In the interests of safety and security, Passengers and their baggage are subject to inspection or monitoring electronically with or without the Passenger's consent or knowledge.

Is inspection or monitoring the same as "removal?" I would hate to be on a ship searching for hours for an item I knew I packed only to find out much later that it was "removed" without any notification.  That is the part I am really having trouble with.  Multiple people on this thread were absolutely certain that Celebrity would never remove an item from a bag without the passenger present in the "naughty room." Others assumed the passenger just forgot the item at home.  If Celebrity has changed their policies regarding removing passenger's possessions without their knowledge, I believe most people would like to know that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Therein lies the rub. The carrier, Celebrity, has deemed hair curlers and straighteners to be appropriate items and has said so for some years. In this case, it was an individual employee who decided to go against the carrier's decision.

I have no issue with the second paragraph.  

2 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Is inspection or monitoring the same as "removal?" I would hate to be on a ship searching for hours for an item I knew I packed only to find out much later that it was "removed" without any notification.  That is the part I am really having trouble with.  Multiple people on this thread were absolutely certain that Celebrity would never remove an item from a bag without the passenger present in the "naughty room." Others assumed the passenger just forgot the item at home.  If Celebrity has changed their policies regarding removing passenger's possessions without their knowledge, I believe most people would like to know that.

The removal comes from the first part.  And, this has not changed over the last decade at least.  The ticket contracts have had this since 2000.  I believe they notify you that you have an item at the "naughty table" the night before disembarkation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Therein lies the rub. The carrier, Celebrity, has deemed hair curlers and straighteners to be appropriate items and has said so for some years. In this case, it was an individual employee who decided to go against the carrier's decision.

I have no issue with the second paragraph.  

In fact, it is the Captain who deems items to be appropriate, as the cruise line's legal representative, or his representatives, acting under his orders and, under the ISM (International Safety Management) Code, the Captain has "overriding authority" when making decisions regarding the safety of passengers, crew, ship, and environment (meaning he cannot be "second guessed" by anyone at corporate at the time).  But, yes, it does imply a variance to corporate policy, but it can happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sherylc said:

Agree, I was surprised to read that the item(s) were removed without the OPs wife being present and the luggage delivered to her stateroom after the inspection. First I've heard of this. But...

Just for my own curiosity and since you recently were on the Millennium did pack in your checked luggage a curling iron or flatiron? 

Edited by davekathy