Birth Certificate vs Passport

Eveann

We have a cruise to sail  January 16 , 22 from San Francisco  to Hawaii and back.  This is our first cruise on Princess.  Are  U.S. Birth  certificate has always all we needed in the past.  Now trying to fill  out the medallion app it's asking for a passport.  I'm worried if we apply for one now there's a chance it wouldn't be back in time.  So question is has anyone ever used just their birth certificate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eveann said:

We have a cruise to sail  January 16 , 22 from San Francisco  to Hawaii and back.  This is our first cruise on Princess.  Are  U.S. Birth  certificate has always all we needed in the past.  Now trying to fill  out the medallion app it's asking for a passport.  I'm worried if we apply for one now there's a chance it wouldn't be back in time.  So question is has anyone ever used just their birth certificate 

Or a passport card?

My grandkids have when doing a closed loop which is what you're doing. I did manage to update the 7 yr olds in the MC with it so it can be done. But why not try to get the passport expedited? Took 2 days in SF pre-covid. Heres how to get one in your state per google:

Screenshot_20210926-023541_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9c11ffe0259453f464f53be6b3b78da.jpg

• Like 1

Below is the law from the DHS web site. Although not recommended if you are a U.S. citizen you can travel by sea on closed loop cruises to certain destinations without a passport. Not certain if Mexico is one of those destinations. Your cruise does visit Mexico. Call Princess to verify. There is no space in the medallion app to indicate travel with original birth certificate with seal & gov't issued ID. You would have to check in at the pier.

• U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

While closed loop cruises do not require a passport, if you have to be flown back to the US from any where including Hawaii - you'll need a passport book.  The passport card is only used for cruise and land border crossings.

Your cruise is a closed loop cruise.  Mexico does not require a passport to enter.

Dear OP- there have been quite a few threads on this issue. The general consensus is it is always wise to have a Passport. If something happens and you need to fly home (especially from Ensenada, Mexico), then you will need a Passport.

There are offices in the US where you can go and receive your Passport the SAME day. It looks like you are in Oregon, so either Seattle or San Francisco would work for you. Make an appointment. Or you can go to one of the many other offices and have it expedited.

www.us-passport-service-guide.com/us-passport-agency.html

The following are the offices for same day:

Passport Agency List

Choose the location of the agency or processing center below that is near you.

Arkansas Agency
Atlanta Agency
Boston Agency
Buffalo Agency
Chicago Agency
Colorado Agency
Connecticut Agency
Dallas Agency
Detroit Agency
El Paso Agency
Honolulu Agency
Houston Agency
Los Angeles Agency
Miami Agency
Minneapolis Agency
National Passport Center (Portsmouth)
New Orleans Agency
New York Agency

Philadelphia Agency
San Diego Agency
San Francisco Agency
San Juan Agency
Seattle Agency
Vermont Agency
Washington DC Agency
Western Passport Center (Tucson)
Special Issuance Agency

3 hours ago, skynight said:

No passport required to fly from Hawaii to any other U.S. State. Gov't issued photo ID required. "Real ID" postponed until May 2023. Of course, TSA gladly accepts passports. 

And even with Real ID postponed, it's probably not a bad idea to get an Enhanced Drivers License if you're planning on any significant travel - should only take about 3 weeks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, barrykel said:

And even with Real ID postponed, it's probably not a bad idea to get an Enhanced Drivers License if you're planning on any significant travel - should only take about 3 weeks.

Aren't EDLs offered by only 5 or 6 states that border Canada?  And maybe Mexico, but I doubt it.

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

PMS4104 is correct about the availability of Enhanced Driver's licenses - they are only issued in the following states: MI, MN, NY, VT & WA.

Oregon does have the  Enhanced Driver's license it's just a voluntary program the state doesn't require you to get it. Both my husband decided to get when  we renewed our license this year 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, trey420 said:

We used birth certificate today to board majestic.  No issues, but I do plan to get our passports soon.

You have a unique voyage.  There are no foreign ports for you.  If one does not want to spend the money on a full passport, I would at least recommend a passport card.  I can't imagine becoming ill, taken off the ship at a foreign port, and having to deal with the paper work to get you back to your country.  It is like any other insurance.  You may not need it, but if you do....

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

PMS4104 is correct about the availability of Enhanced Driver's licenses - they are only issued in the following states: MI, MN, NY, VT & WA.

Yeah, a lot of people don't understand the difference between Real ID and Enhanced Driver's License and use them interchangeably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You have a unique voyage.  There are no foreign ports for you.  If one does not want to spend the money on a full passport, I would at least recommend a passport card.  I can't imagine becoming ill, taken off the ship at a foreign port, and having to deal with the paper work to get you back to your country.  It is like any other insurance.  You may not need it, but if you do....

The final stop is Ensenada, Mexico?

17 hours ago, barrykel said:

Depends where you live. Not 3 weeks in PA. Fairly easy. First renewed and paid on line with a one time extra fee for Real ID. Then we showed up at the D.L. renewal location with all the proper documents and waited. Took about 3 hours because of the crowd. Biggest problem we saw was that people did not have all the proper documents and were turned away. We did. Once our turn came process went quickly. We now have Real ID drivers licenses.

Good idea when your D.L. is due to be renewed get Real ID. 

3 hours ago, hapster85 said:
5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:
6 hours ago, trey420 said:

We used birth certificate today to board majestic.  No issues, but I do plan to get our passports soon.

The final stop is Ensenada, Mexico?

Hapster, he cruised to Alaska without a stop in Canada. 

Op: per Google you have more than enough time to get one st FedEx in your home town

Edited by Ombud

10 hours ago, CapeAliso said:

I love in California and have an enhanced Driver's licence, "Real ID".

Although California, Arizona, and Texas driver's licenses are exploring offering EDL to cross into Mexico, as of right now they only offer RealID. 

Read this: 

https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/09/real-id-vs-enhanced-id/ or https://blog.americansafetycouncil.com/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-they-are-and-where-to-get-them-2/

Neither you nor I can get one now. Frankly, I won't bother once it becomes available as I'm not driving into Mexico. I'll stick with my RealID to fly & passport to travel. 

Edited by Ombud

12 hours ago, Eveann said:

Oregon does have the  Enhanced Driver's license it's just a voluntary program the state doesn't require you to get it. Both my husband decided to get when  we renewed our license this year 

12 hours ago, CapeAliso said:

love in California and have an enhanced Driver's licence, "Real ID".

My friends, neither OR or CA have the Enhanced Driver's Licenses.  There is a difference between Enhanced DL and Real ID.  If you presented only your Real ID Driver's License  at Pier 66 or 91 to board a ship to Alaska you would be denied boarding.  You would also need your US gov't issued birth certificate along with your CA or OR Real ID DL to board the ship.

It is confusing - but as someone who works at checking in passengers, I can't tell you how many people have arrived at the pier without the needed documentation.  It was even worst this season since the ships were not stopping in Canada and many passengers assumed, or were erroneously told by their travel agents that they didn't need passports to sail.  The ships going to Alaska are foreign flagged and traveling in Canadian waters.  Proof of citizenship is needed.  

• Like 4