Nervous about people getting off & back on in ports.

LJSNY

My son’s neighbors were on a Royal cruise during the summer. When they returned to the ship from the port they visited they were tested for Covid. The wife tested positive. Everyone else in the party tested negative. Her group was flown home. She repeatedly asked for another test before being disembarked and was refused. When she got home, she immediately went for a Covid test and it was negative. The flight was paid for by the cruise line. 

i am surprised that they didn’t repeat the test since there are false positives. It certainly would have saved the cruise line a lot of money. Does anyone know the policy or has experienced the same situation?

2 hours ago, sunonfire said:

My son’s neighbors were on a Royal cruise during the summer. When they returned to the ship from the port they visited they were tested for Covid. The wife tested positive. Everyone else in the party tested negative. Her group was flown home. She repeatedly asked for another test before being disembarked and was refused. When she got home, she immediately went for a Covid test and it was negative. The flight was paid for by the cruise line. 

i am surprised that they didn’t repeat the test since there are false positives. It certainly would have saved the cruise line a lot of money. Does anyone know the policy or has experienced the same situation?

I’m thinking the policy is very fluid and they are def erring on the side of caution.

Since we always do B2B's it is very concerning.    We keep our distance and wear masks any time outside our cabin.   If doing a B2B and you are identified as a close contact you are confined for at least 2 days and have to pass 2 tests.   You are also not permitted to continue on to the 2nd cruise. 

I treat everyone as though they are positive and keep my distance.    I also avoid elevators and ships tours.    On Equinox the Ship curated tours the buses were packed with virtually no social distancing and some reporting many of the PAX would not keep their masks on and no enforcement.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2021 at 11:24 AM, D C said:

Honestly, it's less of a concern than interactions with random people BEFORE embarkation.

Caribbean excursions:

Almost entirely outside = almost zero risk of transmission

Going where other vaccinated cruisers go = virtually no risk, no matter how close you might sit

Unless your excursion plan is to spend hours on end with untold numbers of unvaccinated locals in a closed-in space, there is more risk pre-cruise. 

I would have to respectfully disagree with the suggestion of "Virtually NO Risk".   Just off a B2B on Equinox and on first cruise we had 3 cases confirmed on the cruise and on the second (with 48 hour testing) we had one.   The 1st two cases were reported prior to our 1st port so probably contacted it between being tested and when diagnosed.  

The tours in the Caribbean were loaded onto tour buses with virtually no social distancing and many reported other passengers would take off their mask or wear them below their nose and no enforcement at all.  I chose instead to take Private Journey Tours arranged by Celebrity. 

If one passenger on your bus tests positive you will probably be tagged as close contact an be confined to cabin for at least 2 days and have to test negative twice.    Even if negative you will not be able to continue on a B2B.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If one passenger on your bus tests positive you will probably be tagged as close contact an be confined to cabin for at least 2 days and have to test negative twice.    Even if negative you will not be able to continue on a B2B.  

My point (back in post #5) exactly.  The risk of catching something is small.  The risk of getting caught up in the contract trace lottery is much higher, and is why the packed buses (that aren't supposed to be) are so annoying.  Good chance they'd just flag the entire busload of pax in a contact trace.  We've got a B2B coming up soon, and are also having to keep this in mind.  The good news is that it's a 5+10, so absolute (vs. relative) diligence will only be practiced on the first 1/3 of our adventure!

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Since we always do B2B's it is very concerning.    We keep our distance and wear masks any time outside our cabin.   If doing a B2B and you are identified as a close contact you are confined for at least 2 days and have to pass 2 tests.   You are also not permitted to continue on to the 2nd cruise. 

I treat everyone as though they are positive and keep my distance.    I also avoid elevators and ships tours.    On Equinox the Ship curated tours the buses were packed with virtually no social distancing and some reporting many of the PAX would not keep their masks on and no enforcement.

Respectfully and recognizing you are a big contributor here...   I (we) would not bother to cruise if we had to be on a ship and keep our distance and consider everyone positive.  Why bother?  We can stay at home and play golf which we both enjoy, have dinners at the club, watch sports on TV... etc...
We cruise to have fun - hang out at the Martini bar and dance at silent disco night.   We wouldn't cruise and hide.  Having just come off Summit I can say even though there were no masks for guests it was comfortable for us and we enjoyed being out and about in a very safe environment.

• Like 4

I guess some people just like staying on the ship.  That would get boring fast.

I'll wear a mask if I have to.  As far as risk, You could get covid.  You could get in an accident on the way to the port.  Your plane could crash etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

My point (back in post #5) exactly.  The risk of catching something is small.  The risk of getting caught up in the contract trace lottery is much higher, and is why the packed buses (that aren't supposed to be) are so annoying.  Good chance they'd just flag the entire busload of pax in a contact trace.  We've got a B2B coming up soon, and are also having to keep this in mind.  The good news is that it's a 5+10, so absolute (vs. relative) diligence will only be practiced on the first 1/3 of our adventure!

We were very cautious especially on the 1st cruise.  One of travel friends had been contact traced on a previous cruise and was not allowed to continue on the B2B.  

We also had a home Covid test with us and tested prior to the ships test just to give us some confidence.

22 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I can't imagine living life like this. What a shame.

It's better than the options of getting kicked off the ship or dying of Covid.  If yo feel safe -  good for you but putting someone down is what is a shame.

At least we have had or Booster so feeling a bit safer.     On our last cruise we were with our pod and all had been tested multiple times and being on B2B all tested between cruises. 

My daughter is a medical car worker and was double vaxed and wears a mask all the time and still came down with the Delta Variant 2 weeks ago.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

Respectfully and recognizing you are a big contributor here...   I (we) would not bother to cruise if we had to be on a ship and keep our distance and consider everyone positive.  Why bother?  We can stay at home and play golf which we both enjoy, have dinners at the club, watch sports on TV... etc...
We cruise to have fun - hang out at the Martini bar and dance at silent disco night.   We wouldn't cruise and hide.  Having just come off Summit I can say even though there were no masks for guests it was comfortable for us and we enjoyed being out and about in a very safe environment.

Not to be confrontational but it is interesting that I get responses like yours  and all of you are from the same state.   Maybe there is a difference in where we live.     At home a good 50% wear masks outside and 100% inside.   Out County is at about a 90% vax rate.

I can assure you we were never bored and met many nice people on our last B2B -  all of which understood our desire to social distance and and wear masks.   Most also wore mask while outside their room.   We even had a very nice sailaway party in the Penthouse for our pod of friends. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess some people just like staying on the ship.  That would get boring fast.

I'll wear a mask if I have to.  As far as risk, You could get covid.  You could get in an accident on the way to the port.  Your plane could crash etc.

Just a difference in opinion.   We were just off a b2b and booked another one for next week.   We  did not stay in our stateroom nor stay aboard the ship.     We arranged private curated tours and enjoyed doing our tours on our own.   

Many that chose Celebrity Tours discontinued after their first tour being loaded on a bus with 45 other people some of whom chose to violate celebrity guidelines and wear masks.

If you feel safe I applaud you.    

• Like 2

@susiesanPrivate Journeys.  You can arrange in advance or aboard.  X rep organizes it.  Better to do it in advance to give them time to arrange what you've requested. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/shore-excursions/private-journeys

We are planning one like Jim's in St Kitts.

Edited by canderson

52 minutes ago, canderson said:

@susiesanPrivate Journeys.  You can arrange in advance or aboard.  X rep organizes it.  Better to do it in advance to give them time to arrange what you've requested. 

Might be a good idea to give folks a sense of the cost of those “private journeys.”  $$$$  😉

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

If yo feel safe -  good for you but putting someone down is what is a shame.

Excuse me, Jim. Despite our both being fully vaccinated and recently tested, you would treat me as a danger to your health based on nothing but proximity and presumption. And you think I've put you down? How rich.

I wish you good health and hope your daughter is doing well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not to be confrontational but it is interesting that I get responses like yours  and all of you are from the same state.   Maybe there is a difference in where we live.     At home a good 50% wear masks outside and 100% inside.   Out County is at about a 90% vax rate.

I can assure you we were never bored and met many nice people on our last B2B -  all of which understood our desire to social distance and and wear masks.   Most also wore mask while outside their room.   We even had a very nice sailaway party in the Penthouse for our pod of friends. 

You answered my next question.  So you only socialize with a group of friends that you know?

Do you use the pool, hot tub or spa where you can't control how close people are?  Some people are happy to sit right next to you so do you get up and leave?  Ask them to back off?

38 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Excuse me, Jim. Despite our both being fully vaccinated and recently tested, you would treat me as a danger to your health based on nothing but proximity and presumption. And you think I've put you down? How rich.

I wish you good health and hope your daughter is doing well.

Anyone who thinks Jim and Iain had a sad experience on their B2B didn't pay attention. The purpose of their cruise was to finally experience a vacation away together. They had a wonderful time together and generously shared it with us all. Their activities showed they had lots of fun and special times with friends new and old. And with all that, he answered questions from numerous people every day and dispensed helpful advice, taking his own time to educate from experience.

You acted as if he said he treats others as lepers. It is clear he meant that he will be cautious around other people, especially in the first half of a B2B. It is easy to keep a social distance while having vibrant and lively interactions. 

So, yeah, you put him down when you acted condescending by basically saying he has no idea how to cruise. And that was unfair.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 5

Just now, RichYak said:

I'm not acting.

His comment was in the context of restrictions that could occur due to contact tracing. To avoid ruining his vacation, he takes precautions because people crammed on busses, etc, could be positive. How do you react if an unmasked stranger gets 16 inches from your face to ask directions, or breathes down your back in a grocery line for 5 mins? How would you like your 21 day vacation blown away because someone sat next to you and you disregarded that he could be positive?

I drive while staying aware that other drivers could be careless. I avoid dark alleys with groups of people staring at everyone. I assume solicitations from blocked numbers could be fraudulent. I enjoy life immensely because I try to be aware of situations that could make it hard to enjoy it. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Might be a good idea to give folks a sense of the cost of those “private journeys.”  $$$$  😉

I believe Jim said that he paid $175 pp for a fullish day.  That's a lot less than you see 'private' shorex for two on X's website site.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, canderson said:

Yes this is the key issue and highest risk- getting caught up in the contact tracing situation.  The great majority of people will test negative but it will still take at least a day from their vacation.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

I believe Jim said that he paid $175 pp for a fullish day.  That's a lot less than you see 'private' shorex for two on X's website site.

That seems like a bargain to me for an all day tour.  How much would you tip?

11 hours ago, canderson said:

That is exactly what I have been doing for myself and others on a roll call over 40 years of cruising on over 50 cruises. I assume Celebrity charges a small fortune for the "service" they provide, for something I probably know more about than the X insider team on the ship.