2023-2024 Australia & New Zealand Itineraries from Captains Club Newsletter

cunn9004

I thought the next cruised booked would be either a British Isles or Iceland & Ireland.  Been on the bucket list for a while now but not thrilled that Apex is the ship running those routes, I'd pick an M class anyway 🙂 call me weird.  So now I look at the itineraries for the newly announced Australia & New Zealand and once again a bucket list cruise, once again on E class, Edge.   So the ship issue is a wash.

In the announcement they talked up going to Kangaroo Island - free roaming Roos anyone?  How fun, but looking at the details - out of 12 intins only 1 has Kangaroo Island listed.  A wine cruise (I don't drink) in April 5, 2024.  These itineraries become available Oct. 14.  Most are Sydney round trip with one or two Sydney - Auckland.  Sydney round trip sounds easy, not sure about the ease of embarkation for Ireland.

I'm looking for advice/experiences between Australia/N.Z. or British Isles or Iceland/Ireland.  Also what class of suite.  On M & S class we love Celebrity Suites - what is comparable and does it have a real balcony?  We don't cruise often so we aren't super experienced.  So confused.  Thanks  

3 minutes ago, cunn9004 said:

I thought the next cruised booked would be either a British Isles or Iceland & Ireland.  Been on the bucket list for a while now but not thrilled that Apex is the ship running those routes, I'd pick an M class anyway 🙂 call me weird.  So now I look at the itineraries for the newly announced Australia & New Zealand and once again a bucket list cruise, once again on E class, Edge.   So the ship issue is a wash.

In the announcement they talked up going to Kangaroo Island - free roaming Roos anyone?  How fun, but looking at the details - out of 12 intins only 1 has Kangaroo Island listed.  A wine cruise (I don't drink) in April 5, 2024.  These itineraries become available Oct. 14.  Most are Sydney round trip with one or two Sydney - Auckland.  Sydney round trip sounds easy, not sure about the ease of embarkation for Ireland.

I'm looking for advice/experiences between Australia/N.Z. or British Isles or Iceland/Ireland.  Also what class of suite.  On M & S class we love Celebrity Suites - what is comparable and does it have a real balcony?  We don't cruise often so we aren't super experienced.  So confused.  Thanks  

Check out Oceania they have some amazing British Isles/Ireland cruises.  Good luck!

7 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

not sure about the ease of embarkation for Ireland.

I suspect embarkation will be in Southampton, where Silhouette is based during the summer months.

You would fly into Heathrow, which is approx 2 hours from Southampton.
Southampton does have an airport, but it’s not international.

We usually stay overnight in Southampton, as it’s a long drive from where we live.

Celebrity ships are moored at the City Terminal 101.

887A61B3-34D7-4030-8581-F30662809099.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I suspect embarkation will be in Southampton, where Silhouette is based during the summer months.

You would fly into Heathrow, which is approx 2 hours from Southampton.
Southampton does have an airport, but it’s not international.

We usually stay overnight in Southampton, as it’s a long drive from where we live.

Celebrity ships are moored at the City Terminal 101.

887A61B3-34D7-4030-8581-F30662809099.jpeg

She talks about Australia cruises from Sydney or Apex from Amsterdam...

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

She talks about Australia cruises from Sydney or Apex from Amsterdam...

I'm asking for a comparison of embarkation ports from both British Isle/Ireland/Iceland cruises and the Australia/NZ.        Thanks.

45 minutes ago, cunn9004 said:

I'm asking for a comparison of embarkation ports from both British Isle/Ireland/Iceland cruises and the Australia/NZ.        Thanks.

Oh sorry, this was not easy to understand from your post and title.If you fly in Amsterdam is much easier than Southampton. If you want to avoid Edge Class take Silhouette from Southampton. She has a nice Iceland and Ireland cruise end of August 2022.

It is about 18km from the International terminal of Sydney Airport to Circular Quay.  Depending on the time of day is of course how long it would take, but around 30 minutes is a reasonable time in a taxi if you are flying in the day before the cruise.  If you are relying on traffic to get you from the airport to Circular Quay on the day of the cruise and are cutting it fine, there will be all sorts of traffic snarls and you will be sitting in traffic for what feels FOREVER.  
(Don't ask me how I know this, other than we will never fly in the day of a cruise EVER again even though it is only 2 one hour flights)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

We are on Silhouette on Aug 29, 2022 for 12 night Iceland and Ireland with Scotland too.  It is still available for booking.  Southampton RT.  We are in a CS.  The CS on S-Class is pretty similar to the CS on E-Class.  Neither are as large and nice as the CS on M-Class.

Edited by TeeRick

3 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

When we did AUS/NZ on Solstice we went out of Perth in Western Australia and did the southern coast, then around NZ and ended up in Sidney.  16 nights.  It was amazing.  Not sure if that will be offered again but worth doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

I truly am confused by the OP’s post.  Is the question related to being an Irish citizen and the ease of cruising from these ports?  

Why?  Quite clear what is being asked.

1 minute ago, Alakegirl said:

What is meant by “ease of embarkation for Ireland”?  That is the part I don’t understand.

I can’t and won’t speak for the OP, but I just assumed was asking about general information for embarking in Ireland ports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

It is about 18km from the International terminal of Sydney Airport to Circular Quay.  Depending on the time of day is of course how long it would take, but around 30 minutes is a reasonable time in a taxi if you are flying in the day before the cruise.  If you are relying on traffic to get you from the airport to Circular Quay on the day of the cruise and are cutting it fine, there will be all sorts of traffic snarls and you will be sitting in traffic for what feels FOREVER.  
(Don't ask me how I know this, other than we will never fly in the day of a cruise EVER again even though it is only 2 one hour flights)

The metro/subway/whatever you want to call it is super easy to get from SYD airport to the port.  I did that on my last cruise in 2019. 

17 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

I'm looking for advice/experiences between Australia/N.Z. or British Isles or Iceland/Ireland.  

Two of our last 3 cruises have been from Sydney.  I cannot compare Sydney with the other ports under your consideration, but I can tell you that it is an awesome embarkation city.  The pier location is picturesque and conveniently located to many of the city's iconic attractions.  We look forward to another trip back someday.

264562110_SydneyHarbourDec232019.thumb.jpg.38540ad754c9c048d215bca2f9e3de2e.jpg

248441619_SydneyHarbouronEmbarkationDayJan22018.thumb.jpg.cff7b388698458c9ef61068736aae893.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

I truly am confused by the OP’s post.  Is the question related to being an Irish citizen and the ease of cruising from these ports?  

I am sorry if I didn't make it clear.  We are in the U.S. and would be flying to the embarkation port.  As I try to choose between itineraries, ease of getting to the port counts.

After a long, long flight, no embarkation port is “easy”.  Navigating the adventure of acquiring foreign currency, purchasing tickets on public transportation, figuring out all the details while jet lagged, none of that is easy.  You can make even the most difficult embarkation port easier by pre-booking private car transportation from the airport to hotel (you are coming in a day early, I presume, as planning on arriving from overseas on the day the cruise starts is asking for trouble, in my opinion).  Yes, it is more costly than taking a Metro, or a tram, or a city bus, or the Heathrow Express.  But if easy is your goal, that is the way to go.  

• Like 2

Circular Quay (where you would most likely board) is right in the centre of Sydney. Sandwiched between the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House, it’s a stunning location. 
It is easily reached from the airport by taxi or limo. There is also an airport train that will take you into the city. There’s a station at Circular Quay. Personally, I would fly in at least the day before and stay in one of the many excellent hotels in the Rocks area or CBD.

Kangaroo Island is famous for a wide variety of wildlife, but wouldn’t be a deal breaker if it wasn’t on the itinerary. Kangaroos tend to doze under trees during the day and become more active at dusk. Almost half the island was devastated by bushfires in 2020. 
We live in Sydney, but are hoping to book one of the 2024 cruises to NZ. One way to or from Sydney and then self drive the north island of NZ before or after the cruise.

• Like 4

We have been to Australia five times on both cruises and land trips.  In fact we were on the Solstice on what would have been a B2B2B2B when the global suspension of cruising was implemented and we flew out of Sydney the day the border was closed.

A quick comment to anyone considering booking one of the newly released Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific itineraries — they are selling fast.  We just left the Millennium and booked a B2B2B2B while onboard. We were looking at suites, and the choices are limited.  The future cruise salesman told us that was true for all categories.

I realize this does not work for all, but when we fly to either Australia or New Zealand we stop for two or three nights in Honolulu to break the trip.

• Thanks 1

I thought the itineraries for Edge were not being released until October 12.  I did not see any mention of a TP at all.  Is Edge cruising without passengers, or is this going to be released in early November?  We had our April, 2022 TP from sydney to Honolulu canceled; 2023 was filled in the suite categories, so I do want to book another suite for 18 nights.  I have not been to Australia, but hiking in south island NZ was amazing, especially ending at Milford Sound!  We also rented a car, driving all around the island.  The air was so clean; the scenery so filled with beauty.

I checked again and Edge has not been released...so there is still time, but I want the TP on Edge, so who knows...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

If this is any help to anyone.  We normally stay at the Rydges Sydney Harbour.  It is no more than a couple of minute walk to the cruise terminal. This photo is no zoom at all from the hotel. The building right next to the ship is the cruise terminal.

20180320-South Pacific-Sydney-01-1.JPG

Edited by Suzi66
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

If this is any help to anyone.  We normally stay at the Rydges Sydney Harbour.  It is no more than a couple of minute walk to the cruise terminal. This photo is no zoom at all from the hotel. The building right next to the ship is the cruise terminal.

20180320-South Pacific-Sydney-01-1.JPG

When I sailed in Jan 2019, this hotel was a Holiday Inn.  Absolutely a fantastic location.  Whenever I sail again, I will try to stay in this hotel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

When I sailed in Jan 2019, this hotel was a Holiday Inn.  Absolutely a fantastic location.  Whenever I sail again, I will try to stay in this hotel.

It was the Holiday Inn when we sailed in January 2019 as well, or at least the day we arrived.  The day we left to board the ship it was Rydges.  We were supposed to stay there in March 2020 for our next cruise which was cancelled two days before sailing because of Covid.  They were wonderful and just transferred the booking to our next cruise which was meant to be Jan 2021 at the same rate (even though it should be more expensive as it was New Years period and they had a rule of minimum 3 nights and they let us stick to the one), which we had to cancel as well and they just refunded everything.  I highly recommend them.

• Like 1