Latest you have remained on the ship the last day

mtrancher

What is the latest you have stayed onboard on disembarkation day? Keeping in mind that the crew has a lot to clean and organize for the quick turn around; how long have you stayed under the reasonable and prudent rule of thumb? I don't mean staying in your cabin; I'm thinking in a approved waiting area.

Edited by mtrancher

• mtrancher changed the title to Latest you have remained on the ship the last day

I'm one of those late departers.  Everybody is anxious to get on the ship day one but wants to get off as early as possible on the last day.  I'll sleep in, have a relaxed breakfast and leave when they boot me out.    IIRC, I think they wanted me off by 8:30.  Hopefully somebody with a better memory, and recent info, will weigh in.

We got off as early as we possibly can for two reasons. Try to beat traffic home / flight and to let the room stewards get into the cabin as soon as possible. Change over day is very long for them

It is important to remember that until the ship is cleared (which means it is "zeroed out"--100% of all pax are disembarked) many procedures for the incoming sailing cannot be started.  I sure wouldn't want to be the ones we've heard paged (when we are on a B2B and still needed to be checked out) because they are the ONLY people holding up the process.

We try to leave our stateroom by 7:30 to 8 am, but after breakfast we hang out in the lobby till 9-9:30 am to avoid standing in a long line to disembark. It helps too because a lot of the luggage will have been picked up and it’s easier to find ours!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

It is important to remember that until the ship is cleared (which means it is "zeroed out"--100% of all pax are disembarked) many procedures for the incoming sailing cannot be started.  I sure wouldn't want to be the ones we've heard paged (when we are on a B2B and still needed to be checked out) because they are the ONLY people holding up the process.

It also depends on where you are sailing.  Just got off a Med itinerary where the cabin steward did ask we were out of the room by 9am, but said we could probably stay on the ship until 2 or 3 as they don't do a full zero out of the ship (and in fact have people getting on and off at different ports).  We left just after lunch at about 12:45.

1 hour ago, ocdb8r said:

It also depends on where you are sailing.  Just got off a Med itinerary where the cabin steward did ask we were out of the room by 9am, but said we could probably stay on the ship until 2 or 3 as they don't do a full zero out of the ship (and in fact have people getting on and off at different ports).  We left just after lunch at about 12:45.

That is highly unusual in Europe or anywhere.  We've sailed all over Europe (something like 40 sailings) and always had to be off at an appointed time.  There normally would not, e.g., be a lunch available for passengers.  How do they stop pax from one sailing mixing with the next?

AFAIR, Normally they allow you around 2-3 hours after they ask to vacate the rooms. First hour or so you can hang out anywhere and you can get a breakfast at MDR. Then they start closing and the  only place you can stay is the buffet. At some point they stop serving food and start cleaning the buffet.

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

That is highly unusual in Europe or anywhere.  We've sailed all over Europe (something like 40 sailings) and always had to be off at an appointed time.  There normally would not, e.g., be a lunch available for passengers.  How do they stop pax from one sailing mixing with the next?

A few of NCL's itineraries, notably the Epic in the Western Mediterranean, embark / disembark at more than one port of call.  For example, most folks sailing on the Epic will get on board at Barcelona for a seven day cruise, then exit back at Barcelona.  A few other Epic passengers will have booked a seven day cruise that boards three days later at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome).  They will overlap four days with those who got on before them and three days with those who will board afterward.  Since no in-transit passenger is required to go ashore at an intermediate port of call, and since one person's "intermediate" port is another person's "home" port, it is possible that there could be passengers still on board all day at a port where others disembark their cruise.

15 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

A few of NCL's itineraries, notably the Epic in the Western Mediterranean, embark / disembark at more than one port of call.  For example, most folks sailing on the Epic will get on board at Barcelona for a seven day cruise, then exit back at Barcelona.  A few other Epic passengers will have booked a seven day cruise that boards three days later at Civitavecchia (the port for Rome).  They will overlap four days with those who got on before them and three days with those who will board afterward.  Since no in-transit passenger is required to go ashore at an intermediate port of call, and since one person's "intermediate" port is another person's "home" port, it is possible that there could be passengers still on board all day at a port where others disembark their cruise.

That makes sense.

The time I get off depends on a lot of factors, if I am doing self disembarkation , if I am doing an airport ending cruise, etc. I usually try to be out of my cabin by 7-730 latest and get off the ship at whatever time my tags say to leave. The latest I’ve ever gotten off is 830am, that was my time on my tags because I had NCL transfer to airport 

55 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

How do they stop pax from one sailing mixing with the next?

A question came up on another CC NCL thread about the color of key cards.  This is one reason for the color coding.  Pax boarding the Epic at Barcelona could be issued one key card color, while those boarding at Rome might get another.  A few years ago we took a two-week TA on the Epic from Florida to Barcelona.  From there the Epic began its summer season of seven-day Western Med cruises.  On the first cruise of the season, though, pax have the option of taking just the three-day leg from Barcelona to Rome.  We did that, and I noticed that we received key cards which were a different color than those issued to others traveling in similar accommodations.  At the end of the summer season, NCL also offers a four-day Rome to Barcelona option before returning to Florida.  I expect that those on the four-day journey also get a different color key card to make it easy for ship personnel to know who is going where.  Even without color coding, though, the dates of your cruise are printed on your key card and the info is encoded in the mag stripe and chip.  The security team knows exactly who is supposed to disembark at each port and who is allowed to stay on board.

Honestly I stay on as late as possible - usually until they start the "EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE OFF THE SHIP NOW" announcement lol (don't worry - I've only physically been the last person off the ship once!!).

However, I am completely out of the cabin by 8/8:30 the latest, head down to either Taste or Savor because I'd like to have a sit down breakfast to avoid the rush of the buffet, then go to whichever outdoor area is still available and sit and wait until the last announcement (when they announce the color code for the latest disembarkation). By that time, it's usually just around 10/10:15A. 

However, just to note, I'm never where I'm not supposed to be or alone (usually with other travelers in eye view), and I've never (and hopefully, WILL never!) been called over the PA. I think my heart would 'sink' if I was the person responsible for holding up anything. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, justhappy said:

We try to leave our stateroom by 7:30 to 8 am, but after breakfast we hang out in the lobby till 9-9:30 am to avoid standing in a long line to disembark. It helps too because a lot of the luggage will have been picked up and it’s easier to find ours!

We get the last -off luggage tags. Out of the cabin by 8:00. Up to the buffet for breakfast.We then hang out playing whist with friends till our color is called. At that point there is almost no one left , so no crowded elevators. When we get down to the luggage area, it's easy to pick ours out because there are so few there. At that point, our pre-booked  ride is waiting to whisk us home. Easy-peezy!!

We once took a bus to and from the ship in NYC. We got off un early December, and it was freezing. The bus wasn't coming until at least 11:30. We waited until the very end (9:45) to get off and join the very long line to the terminal. I wanted to waste as much time as possible to avoid standing out in the cold.

Careful if you put your bags out at night.  SInce we were driving back to Naples, FL, my friend and I took late debarkation and by the time we went to the luggage area, there were no porters to help and my friend was missing a bag.  Someone mistakenly took her bag and it took a few days to get it back.

36 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

We once took a bus to and from the ship in NYC. We got off un early December, and it was freezing. The bus wasn't coming until at least 11:30. We waited until the very end (9:45) to get off and join the very long line to the terminal. I wanted to waste as much time as possible to avoid standing out in the cold.

What kind of bus was this?