Puerto Plata Delayed Opening til 2022?

RoyalC

Anyone seeing this- was posted on Celebrity board. Was about to book Allure Dec 11 to go to this port. 

Anyone get notice from Royal and specifically the Allure with a port change? Already had flights booked...

(Southwest points so no worries)

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS 

Dear Guest,

Pier construction in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic has been delayed which means, we’ll visit Nassau, Bahamas instead. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. We’re excited to take you to a new port and know you’ll have an excellent time! Below, please find our revised Oasis of the Seas for our February 13th, 2022 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Miami, Florida

4:00 PM

Mon

Nassau, Bahamas

7:00 AM

3:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

11:00 AM

6:00 PM

Thu

San Juan, Puerto Rico

2:30 PM

Fri

Labadee, Haiti

10:00 AM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Miami, Florida

6:00 AM

In Nassau, the Bahamian capital, you’re never more than a few steps away from rhythmic percussions, appetizing flavors, and some of the clearest waters in the world. Explore its colorful past of buccaneers, blockade-runners, and bootleggers along historical streets and at the three colonial fortresses that line the shores. Whatever you decide to do, you’re sure to have an amazing experience!

Just now, sandebeach said:

Dear Guest,

Pier construction in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic has been delayed which means, we’ll visit Nassau, Bahamas instead. We know how much time and effort go into planning your vacation, and we’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. We’re excited to take you to a new port and know you’ll have an excellent time! Below, please find our revised Oasis of the Seas for our February 13th, 2022 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Miami, Florida

Mon

Nassau, Bahamas

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Thu

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Fri

Labadee, Haiti

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Miami, Florida

In Nassau, the Bahamian capital, you’re never more than a few steps away from rhythmic percussions, appetizing flavors, and some of the clearest waters in the world. Explore its colorful past of buccaneers, blockade-runners, and bootleggers along historical streets and at the three colonial fortresses that line the shores. Whatever you decide to do, you’re sure to have an amazing experience!

This was for Oasis next February and also received for Oasis  November 3, 2021. 

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Dear Guest,

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Miami, Florida

Mon

Nassau, Bahamas

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Thu

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Fri

Labadee, Haiti

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Miami, Florida

Wow, even worse than I thought. So Allure is definitely out in December. CoCoCay  would be acceptable for me but not Nassau. Thanks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Sun

Miami, Florida

Mon

Nassau, Bahamas

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Thu

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Fri

Labadee, Haiti

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Miami, Florida

What are they substituting Labadee with since that's closed as well.

The Feb 13 Oasis cruise on the RCL site shows DR but a third party shows Nassau which of course is correct. How odd but just an observation.

Is is possible the port if still open but some stops are cancelled due to lack of capacity? I have not been there so I do not know the set up. In other words, are some ships still calling there at an old pier? I called Royal and they do not see any changes yet. So either they do not have a substitute yet, or they will call there on certain cruises.

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

The Feb 13 Oasis cruise on the RCL site shows DR but a third party shows Nassau which of course is correct. How odd but just an observation.

Is is possible the port if still open but some stops are cancelled due to lack of capacity? I have not been there so I do not know the set up. In other words, are some ships still calling there at an old pier? I called Royal and they do not see any changes yet. So either they do not have a substitute yet, or they will call there on certain cruises.

This was a brand new terminal called Taino Bay. Amber Cove is still there but exclusive to Carnival. Royal, NCL, etc  won't call on Puerto Plata unless the terminal is ready. 

2 hours ago, RoyalC said:

Wow, even worse than I thought. So Allure is definitely out in December. CoCoCay  would be acceptable for me but not Nassau. Thanks

I see that the itinerary has swapped Puerto Plata for Nassau for Oasis- do we know for sure that it will be for Allure as well??

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

I see that the itinerary has swapped Puerto Plata for Nassau for Oasis- do we know for sure that it will be for Allure as well??

Thank you for the valuable information there. I couldn't say if Allure would also go to Nassau. I would hope CocoCay or Puerto Rico or whatever. They might be trying to figure that out if ports are somewhat full right now during that time. I guess I could always move to a different cruise, but would be fine with just cruising period at this point. Have back to back Jewel in January-February and would expect an island or two to switch but don't really care- have 4x points coming from the promo (single cabin at double occupancy price) and will be D+ after that cruise. Just hope it goes off!

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I'm on the 11/27 Allure sailing, and have received nothing yet.  

Then again, my 12/12 Jewel sailing still says we're going to Key West and Grand Cayman.... LOL

I’m also sailing on Allure 11/27. 
Have stopped in this port before, January 2019 on Jewel 

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

Thank you for the valuable information there. I couldn't say if Allure would also go to Nassau. I would hope CocoCay or Puerto Rico or whatever. They might be trying to figure that out if ports are somewhat full right now during that time. I guess I could always move to a different cruise, but would be fine with just cruising period at this point. Have back to back Jewel in January-February and would expect an island or two to switch but don't really care- have 4x points coming from the promo (single cabin at double occupancy price) and will be D+ after that cruise. Just hope it goes off!

I would be totally great with CocoCay but I don't think Nassau would be deal breaker for us to not cruise after this long. Celebrity ships have apparently swapped with Nassau as well- wondering how many ships will be rerouted there LOL. Fingers, eyes and toes crossed for Coco Cay!

Cruise or no cruise for many months. Nassau is tough to digest. A place that has a monopoly for short cruises, but has not invested that income from port fees and passenger spending there to do anything to improve this port. All of this revenue was squandered away somehow. Seems to be upgrading the port now, but too little and way too late.

Edited by coaster

58 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

I would be totally great with CocoCay but I don't think Nassau would be deal breaker for us to not cruise after this long. Celebrity ships have apparently swapped with Nassau as well- wondering how many ships will be rerouted there LOL. Fingers, eyes and toes crossed for Coco Cay!

There is a website that shows what ships are in port on certain days. Not sure if it is 100% with all the changes lately, buy CocoCay shows Oasis and Odyssey on the one day Allure could port there with the current schedule. One ship shows for Nassau on same day. Puerto Rico could be an option (stopping at St. Thomas the next day), but I think it would arrive in the afternoon there. Of course they could add a sea day and slow the ship down. 

1 hour ago, coaster said:

Cruise or no cruise for many months. Nassau is tough to digest. A place that has a monopoly for short cruises, but has not invested that income from port fees and passenger spending there to do anything to improve this port. All of this revenue was squandered away somehow. Seems to be upgrading the port now, but too little and way too late.

Looks fabulous from the ship's deck with a drink in my hand. All that construction is beautiful. I won't go to shore to ruin my image.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, coaster said:

There's a big build going on right now.  I haven't received any notice for my January 22 Allure 8 night sail.  Got a great price reduction during their unadvertised sale back in August/September.

Just looked at our March 13 cruise on Oasis and Nassau has been subbed in for Puerta Plata. We didn’t get any info about it officially but when I checked like I was booking a new cruise alas it is there (but it still says PP in cruise planner). I’m so disappointed because we also have Labadee (those were going to be the only two new ports for us) but that’s going to be changed to. Wish they would just tell us the change so I could make an informed decision whether to “jump ship” for another ship. 

2 minutes ago, HMY624 said:

Just looked at our March 13 cruise on Oasis and Nassau has been subbed in for Puerta Plata. We didn’t get any info about it officially but when I checked like I was booking a new cruise alas it is there (but it still says PP in cruise planner). I’m so disappointed because we also have Labadee (those were going to be the only two new ports for us) but that’s going to be changed to. Wish they would just tell us the change so I could make an informed decision whether to “jump ship” for another ship. 

We are on the same cruise as you. If you jump ship to another your ports could still change.  IMO unless the cabin rate is cheaper I wouldn’t. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HMY624 said:

We're on this cruise as well.  I booked this one particularly for this port and am disappointed.  I thought about changing my booking however as @A&L_Ont said other ships could change ports.   We've decided to keep this one and just enjoy what the ship has to offer.  We have been on Harmony and Symphony but this will be our first time on Oasis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ValerieJo said:

We're on this cruise as well.  I booked this one particularly for this port and am disappointed.  I thought about changing my booking however as @A&L_Ont said other ships could change ports.   We've decided to keep this one and just enjoy what the ship has to offer.  We have been on Harmony and Symphony but this will be our first time on Oasis.

We also know Oasis is currently sailing. If one were to flip ships I’d only pick one currently sailing as who knows what will be operating in March. 

On a side note, I’m looking forward to Port Side BBQ. 😋

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 6:49 AM, Ketola511 said:

I am cruising on Allure Feb 19.  I wonder if they will change us too for DR? 

Same here.  Interesting that Allure cruisers haven’t received notification of a change.