Evening Chic Nights.

deliver42

19 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Problem is Celebrity wants seats filled in Specialty restaurants and making people dress up is not a good way to do that. I would certainly not bring dressier clothes just to eat in a specialty 

Key word is “suggested “. I’m with you I dress for how I feel comfortable.  If someone is bothered by that, seems quite a few are, then IMO they have problems I can’t help with.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

What do you mean by " very few dressed up that night."? The CD has nothing to do with the restaurant side of the business.  Unless you consider going to the MDR entertaining. 😉Not sure what the covid protocols would have to do with the evening suggested dress guidelines for the MDR.

I didn't mean CDC policy, I meant the ship's COVID protocols, I was wondering if possibly the ship had a more relaxed attire policy about chic nights for whatever reason.  By "very few dressed up at night", I meant I saw only a few people really dressed up on chic night the second one. By a few, I meant maybe twenty percent. I recall past cruises when nearly everyone I saw was dressed up for chic nights or the long past formal nights in days of yore. So, in short, the clothing choices on this Equinox cruise were decidedly more casual throughout most of the ship than have experienced in the past for whatever reason passengers made those choices. I am NOT second-guessing their choices. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

I didn't mean CDC policy, I meant the ship's COVID protocols, I was wondering if possibly the ship had a more relaxed attire policy about chic nights for whatever reason.  By "very few dressed up at night", I meant I saw only a few people really dressed up on chic night the second one. By a few, I meant maybe twenty percent. I recall past cruises when nearly everyone I saw was dressed up for chic nights or the long past formal nights in days of yore. So, in short, the clothing choices on this Equinox cruise were decidedly more casual throughout most of the ship than have experienced in the past for whatever reason passengers made those choices. I am NOT second-guessing their choices. 

Evening Chic only applies to the MDR, no where else on the ship except Theater but that hasn’t been enforced in years.

35 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Evening Chic only applies to the MDR, no where else on the ship except Theater but that hasn’t been enforced in years.

After Ruth's report on Summit of "Short shorts and rubber flip flops.  Oh, and lettered tees and a baseball cap." in Luminae for dinner, I'd say they've given up entirely on all of it.  Spineless.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

After Ruth's report on Summit of "Short shorts and rubber flip flops.  Oh, and lettered tees and a baseball cap." in Luminae for dinner, I'd say they've given up entirely on all of it.  Spineless.

Business casual seems to be a nice in between.  What you might wear to church.

We did a transatlantic on Independence of the Seas in 2012 at dinner a person walked into the dining room wearing a baseball cap and "wife beater " vest (that is what my Georgia friend called it). I vowed never to sail on a Royal ship again if that was how the dress code was going! We now usually sail in a suite sometimes Aqua and not yet seen "Short shorts and rubber flip flops" at dinner.

When sailing MSC YC a man was stopped at the  entrance to the restaurant by the Maitre de and it was suggested he may want to go and change his soccer t shirt for proper attire on a formal night. He didn't argue his family were seated and he went and changed into a short sleeve shirt.

10 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Nothing to do with covid. Ever since X introduced Chic we have never seen anyone challenged in the MDR. 

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Problem with that is you can go back on this board and Facebook and find many reports of people being turned away from dining rooms for  wearing shorts and comments that people are happy that the dress code is being enforced.   Remember also, its human nature for people to see what they want to see.

The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is that you can wear pretty much whatever you want from Tuxes on down.  Since they changed it a few years ago there some who just can't accept wheat they have done and unfortuntunately have criticized others for what they wear even though they are complying with the rules.  This works both ways. 

Edited by dkjretired

51 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Problem with that is you can go back on this board and Facebook and find many reports of people being turned away from dining rooms for  wearing shorts and comments that people are happy that the dress code is being enforced.   Remember also, its human nature for people to see what they want to see.

The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is that you can wear pretty much whatever you want from Tuxes on down.  Since they changed it a few years ago there some who just can't accept wheat they have done and unfortuntunately have criticized others for what they wear even though they are complying with the rules.  This works both ways. 

You say you can wear pretty much whatever you want, but you also say people in shorts are turned away.  So which of your statements is correct?

57 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

... unfortuntunately have criticized others for what they wear even though they are complying with the rules. 

I'm not one of those, but I do count myself as part of the group that fault Celebrity for being unwilling to uphold the pretty minimal rules they have in place.  Always have.  Still hoping for just ONE venue aboard ship where they've got the backbone to do so.

38 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'm not one of those, but I do count myself as part of the group that fault Celebrity for being unwilling to uphold the pretty minimal rules they have in place.  Always have.  Still hoping for just ONE venue aboard ship where they've got the backbone to do so.

Totally agree. However as Silhouette didn't enforce the rules on Covid I have no hope they will do on Chic.

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Totally agree. However as Silhouette didn't enforce the rules on Covid I have no hope they will do on Chic.

Oh having to look at someone's ripped jeans is much worse than dealing with something that might kill me.  😉

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

You say you can wear pretty much whatever you want, but you also say people in shorts are turned away.  So which of your statements is correct?

Both and they are not contradictory. That’s why I didn’t say everything.

Edited by dkjretired

The Summit is doing short, 4 or 5 day sailings out of Miami.  There were only ~275 pax per cruise on the B2B and a surprising number of those pax were first time cruisers.  The majority of people in Luminae were dressed appropriately but there were folks who didn't get the memo, or didn't care.  I think enforcement of the shorts, lettered tees, caps, and flip flops was lax because they didn't want to alienate the few pax they had.  As I said, I was disappointed in the appearance of some of the people dining in Luminae, but once they sat down, I no longer noticed.  It certainly didn't have any impact on my enjoyment.  The menu is a different story; after several short Summit cruises, the Luminae menu repetition is getting old so next week I'll be ordering exclusively from Blu and MDR.  Heck, I might even go up to Oceanview - they aren't busy and they always chat with a solo pax.  Luminae is usually slammed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

The Summit is doing short, 4 or 5 day sailings out of Miami.  There were only ~275 pax per cruise on the B2B and a surprising number of those pax were first time cruisers.  The majority of people in Luminae were dressed appropriately but there were folks who didn't get the memo, or didn't care.  I think enforcement of the shorts, lettered tees, caps, and flip flops was lax because they didn't want to alienate the few pax they had.  As I said, I was disappointed in the appearance of some of the people dining in Luminae, but once they sat down, I no longer noticed.  It certainly didn't have any impact on my enjoyment.  The menu is a different story; after several short Summit cruises, the Luminae menu repetition is getting old so next week I'll be ordering exclusively from Blu and MDR.  Heck, I might even go up to Oceanview - they aren't busy and they always chat with a solo pax.  Luminae is usually slammed.

Ocean view at dinner can be a nice surprise, no crowds and good variety of food. We do it at least once per cruise. Check out the grill area.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

As I said, I was disappointed in the appearance of some of the people dining in Luminae, but once they sat down, I no longer noticed.  It certainly didn't have any impact on my enjoyment.

Seems one of your table mates was a bit more put off!

"We did have a table of 6 near us with 5 young people and an adult man who all dressed like they were going to the pool.  You saw ball caps and tank tops, etc. and the 2 girls dressed a bit slutty.  I must admit it brought down the atmosphere a bit, especially since they were loud.  They really stood out to the rest of the room."

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

Seems one of your table mates was a bit more put off!

"We did have a table of 6 near us with 5 young people and an adult man who all dressed like they were going to the pool.  You saw ball caps and tank tops, etc. and the 2 girls dressed a bit slutty.  I must admit it brought down the atmosphere a bit, especially since they were loud.  They really stood out to the rest of the room."

Sometimes you get VIPs who are in high end suites and think they can get away with anything. We saw that happen on a cruise with a large family and the kids were awful.  We were told the family had mucho stock and staff basically left them along. It’s a shame but I guess a fact of life.

1 minute ago, dkjretired said:

Sometimes you get VIPs who are in high end suites and think they can get away with anything. We saw that happen on a cruise with a large family and the kids were awful.  We were told the family had mucho stock and staff basically left them along. It’s a shame but I guess a fact of life.

Was it the type that was loud but kept to themselves or were kids running around tables willy nilly?

On 10/11/2021 at 1:46 AM, kwokpot said:

My point is if you think about it logically it would make more sense to enforce it in a specialty restaurant vs the main dining rooms. By your logic it shouldn't be enforced in the main dining rooms either. 

Really, nothing to be enforced.  It reality the minimum required is the same either way.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Was it the type that was loud but kept to themselves or were kids running around tables willy nilly?

Running around not only in the dining rooms but they were evident around the ship and the parents were no better. 

Edited by dkjretired

On 10/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, kwokpot said:

My point is if you think about it logically it would make more sense to enforce it in a specialty restaurant vs the main dining rooms. By your logic it shouldn't be enforced in the main dining rooms either. 

But you are still missing the point.   When Specialties were first started and even to this day they want to get people into the restaurants to PAY  for the dining there.   Its a money maker plain and simple and causing people to bring fancy clothes will hinder that purpose.   

19 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Running around not only in the dining rooms but they were evident around the ship and the parents were no better. 

This deserves it's own thread.  Misbehaving pax and/or children.