scary topic "positive test onboard"

13cheeseburgers

Sorry to bring this up, but we are leaving Saturday and I have some concerns.  We are vacinated by the way.  If me or my wife test positvie while on the ship.

Will carnival quarantine us until we get back to the USA and then let us leave? Will carnival make us get off at one of the ports? What is carnival's procedure?

Thanks in advance

This is what Carnival has to say:

In the event guests are in close contact with or exposed to any guest or crew member who tests positive for COVID-19, or display any symptoms for a COVID-like illness during the cruise, they and their close contacts will be required to undergo additional testing and may be required to quarantine in their stateroom until our medical team determines it is safe for them to resume their cruise activities.

Basically, if I require a covid test because I develop symptoms, I fully expect to be quarantined just on account of the symptoms - even if the test comes back negative.  Not sure whether they'd let me out when symptoms subside as long as I continue to test negative.  A positive test would most definitely result in quarantine, as it should.  Hopefully they'd deliver good meals from the MDR!

If I require a covid test without symptoms - presumably this would happen if they established close contact with a positive case onboard - maybe a table mate? Hopefully not a crew member, since the primary concern ought to be maskless contact? - and I'd hope they'd let me go about my cruise normally if I tested negative, possibly with additional testing, on account of my vaccinations.  If an unvaccinated passenger was exposed, I'd expect them to quarantine them.

Since I sail from ports within driving distance, I don't have much concern about after the cruise.  If you're flying, though, that's another legitimate issue to consider.

• Like 1

My concern is being able to leave when the cruise is over.  I will quarantine...no porblem on board.  I would not want to make anyone else sick or miss their cruise.  We will be driving to the port so we can just get in our car and leave.  I just don't carnival or the US goverment locking me up for an aditional 10-14 days away from home.  LOL

24 minutes ago, 13cheeseburgers said:

My concern is being able to leave when the cruise is over.  I will quarantine...no porblem on board.  I would not want to make anyone else sick or miss their cruise.  We will be driving to the port so we can just get in our car and leave.  I just don't carnival or the US goverment locking me up for an aditional 10-14 days away from home.  LOL

I don't believe that Carnival has that kind of power and the CDC recommendations for the isolation of Covid-positive individuals are not monitored in any way by the government.  It's not like they are going to put you into "Covid jail."  The real concern would be if you were planning to fly home.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

Here's what Carnival's website says on their "Have Fun Be Safe" page:

• In the event guests are in close contact with or exposed to any guest or crew member who tests positive for COVID-19, or display any symptoms for a COVID-like illness during the cruise, they and their close contacts will be required to undergo additional testing and may be required to quarantine in their stateroom until our medical team determines it is safe for them to resume their cruise activities.
  • If guests traveled by air to join their cruise and test positive at embarkation and are not able to cruise — or test positive during the cruise — they and their close contacts may be required to quarantine before traveling home.
  • Guests who are quarantined on board will receive a pro-rated future cruise credit equal to the number of days in quarantine.
  • For guests who must quarantine locally, Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements; however, all related expenses will be the guests’ responsibility.

You would be isolated in your cabin or moved to a quarantine cabin. Once back to home port, if you drove, you would go out a different location on the ship and to your car. If you flew, you would be required to quarantine at a hotel until 10 days after your positive test and getting a negative test. You traveling party would quarantine as well and have to test negative 14 days after your positive. If you somehow try to sneak onto a plane, there are very costly consequences to knowing fly with covid. 

There is a couple on YouTube who blogged about this. (Parodeejay) They we’re moved to a quarantine cabin which they were told had different air filtration. They ordered room service and did have to pay for the for cost items. They were only there one night as it was toward the end of the cruise. They had to wait in their cabin to debarked and security came to get them off the ship last. They then drove home.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

There is a couple on YouTube who blogged about this. (Parodeejay) They we’re moved to a quarantine cabin which they were told had different air filtration. They ordered room service and did have to pay for the for cost items. They were only there one night as it was toward the end of the cruise. They had to wait in their cabin to debarked and security came to get them off the ship last. They then drove home.

I gotta say, if my quarantine was due to exposure to a positive crew member and they charged me for meal delivery, I'm pretty sure you guys would have heard about it on the news, heh.  Even if it was pretty evident that I'd been infected pre-cruise, I'd be pretty disappointed in Carnival for charging me for pizza. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You would be isolated in your cabin or moved to a quarantine cabin. Once back to home port, if you drove, you would go out a different location on the ship and to your car. If you flew, you would be required to quarantine at a hotel until 10 days after your positive test and getting a negative test. You traveling party would quarantine as well and have to test negative 14 days after your positive. If you somehow try to sneak onto a plane, there are very costly consequences to knowing fly with covid. 

If you are going out of texas or florida it's up to you to be honest and quarantine time and go get a negative test. Nothing is provided, it's up to you. 

Idk there actually is a obligation for the travelling companion to quarantine. I havent seen or read anything to indicate this. On rcl they only flew the positive case home not the spouse or kids. One case on carnival her husband choose to get a separate hotel room but I dont believe he was obligated.

7 minutes ago, Virga said:

I gotta say, if my quarantine was due to exposure to a positive crew member and they charged me for meal delivery, I'm pretty sure you guys would have heard about it on the news, heh.  Even if it was pretty evident that I'd been infected pre-cruise, I'd be pretty disappointed in Carnival for charging me for pizza. 

It was one charge and I'm sure by now that it's been discussed and rediscussed and blogged about they got the room service charge refunded and probably a future obc. Accidents happen. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It was one charge and I'm sure by now that it's been discussed and rediscussed and blogged about they got the room service charge refunded and probably a future obc. Accidents happen. 

Oh, lol, that's barely worth even bringing up to Carnival.  I really would have a full expectation of them comping delivery charges. 

Since we'd be unlikely to get seriously ill, we'd be trying to treat it as a staycation as best we could.  It would not be the first long weekend where we ate nothing but pizza and wings!  And I imagine an occasional plea for Indian would not go unanswered.  

2 hours ago, Virga said:

If I tested positive for Covid, being charged $5 for a room service pizza would be the least of my concerns.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

If I tested positive for Covid, being charged $5 for a room service pizza would be the least of my concerns.

Ah, I'm fortunate to be quite low risk - even before vaccination, the only thing I really had to fear from covid was transmission.  Granted, that still keeps me absolutely terrified - but if I managed to time my probably inevitable infection for when I'm completely surrounded by vaccinated souls I'm unlikely to infect, much less kill, my heathen behind would be on my knees thanking someone...  

Edited by Virga
Words and such
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

The reason they paid for their room service meals is because they had kept their symptoms hush hush 🤫 at that point and were “self quarantining” and had NOT reported to the medical center for testing at that point yet. Whereas Josh Hocam @cruise with Josh reported his symptoms with the medical team on Mardi Gras right away and him and his cabin mate Peter were comp’d meals from MDR, Pig N anchor, Chibang, etc. during their quarantine. The obvious lesson here is it pays to be on the up & up and do the right thing like Josh & Peter did and not try to be sneaky and hide like Parodeejay did. 

Edited by bdever
Additional comments
  • Like 1

Holy hell.

There was an unnerving post on the MSC board reminding people to bring fever reducers and sudafed because they wouldn't be available on the ship.  One person chimed in, agreeing, saying they've gotten a cold onboard before and sure wouldn't want to let on that they were symptomatic.  I really thought it was a joke or a troll, but apparently there really are people like that.  And advertise it on YouTube??  I'm going to just let myself believe you're joking as well...

1 hour ago, bdever said:

The reason they paid for their room service meals is because they had kept their symptoms hush hush 🤫 at that point and were “self quarantining” and had NOT reported to the medical center for testing at that point yet. Whereas Josh Hocam @cruise with Josh reported his symptoms with the medical team on Mardi Gras right away and him and his cabin mate Peter were comp’d meals from MDR, Pig N anchor, Chibang, etc. during their quarantine. The obvious lesson here is it pays to be on the up & up and do the right thing like Josh & Peter did and not try to be sneaky and hide like Parodeejay did. 

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. I have to admit the way they handled their situation didn’t thrill me. 

• Like 1

Give me a Suite at a  Ritz, Hyatt or Four Seasons with Room Service,  Bar Service, Butler Service , Jacuzzi Tub a large wrap around balcony where I can go outside not on my expense then we can talk about the quarrinitne.  If I can earn points all the better along with the highest speed of WIFI.  I would find ways to entertain myself. 

Just saying why would anyone   want to stay in a dark Motel Room without a balcony?

Edited by travelplus
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. I have to admit the way they handled their situation didn’t thrill me. 

Agreed, to put it mildly I was disappointed and it revealed a lot about character.

6 hours ago, Virga said:

Holy hell.

There was an unnerving post on the MSC board reminding people to bring fever reducers and sudafed because they wouldn't be available on the ship.  One person chimed in, agreeing, saying they've gotten a cold onboard before and sure wouldn't want to let on that they were symptomatic.  I really thought it was a joke or a troll, but apparently there really are people like that.  And advertise it on YouTube??  I'm going to just let myself believe you're joking as well...

I’m dead serious 

Small side note:  This is also why I won't cruise unless I can test before I leave home.  I have to fly to any port, and I can't imagine getting alllll the way to Florida, testing positive, and having to figure out how to either spend an expensive ten days there, or drive ALLLL the way back to WY.  THAT would be the pits.  People who test at the port and have to fly in are pretty brave.  

Ehhhh.....they stayed away from people which is more cautious than many would be with minor symptoms and no fever.  A positive COVID test a day earlier wouldn't have changed a thing.  Everything is a symptom of Covid, problem is the minor colds and sinus issues that afflict us all have not went anywhere.

6 hours ago, DenaInWyo said:

Small side note:  This is also why I won't cruise unless I can test before I leave home.  I have to fly to any port, and I can't imagine getting alllll the way to Florida, testing positive, and having to figure out how to either spend an expensive ten days there, or drive ALLLL the way back to WY.  THAT would be the pits.  People who test at the port and have to fly in are pretty brave.  

Until last weekend when SW cancelled hundreds of flights for god knows what reason, thousands and thousands of people have flown all around the country and overseas and NOT been infected with COVID.  Airlines are even more strict on monitoring mask wearing and have upgraded their air filtering.  If you fly in the day before your cruise and get tested right before you leave home, you're within the 2 day window.    Just get vaccinated if able (check with your doctor if you have concerns) wear/bring N95 masks and social distance in crowds (which means don't lollygag around strangers, just keep moving.)

11 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Until last weekend when SW cancelled hundreds of flights for god knows what reason, thousands and thousands of people have flown all around the country and overseas and NOT been infected with COVID.  Airlines are even more strict on monitoring mask wearing and have upgraded their air filtering.  If you fly in the day before your cruise and get tested right before you leave home, you're within the 2 day window.    Just get vaccinated if able (check with your doctor if you have concerns) wear/bring N95 masks and social distance in crowds (which means don't lollygag around strangers, just keep moving.)

I think you missed my meaning.  I'm not worried about catching it because of flying.  Well, not more than anyone would normally be.  I'm saying that there's no way I'd leave home without testing first on the risk that I was positive prior to leaving.  Several of our roll call members last cruise came up asymptomatic positive prior to leaving home.  It would super suck to have to quarantine in an expensive city or make a very long drive.  

I'm fully vaccinated, an RN, and well versed in PPE and the meaning of social distancing.  But thanks for the tips 😉 

19 hours ago, DenaInWyo said:

This highlights the ridiculousness of it all.

• Like 1