Update Oct 11th: Princess to have Mobile on-site Testing at a Cost...

LACruiser88

Posted this Morning on the Princess web site:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

The company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee of $150. Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. Please consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements prior to leaving home.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, srpilo said:

I wonder if this is currently up running for the imminent cruises starting this week, or another sometime in the future offering ?

Since they are saying below, "we have mobile testing sites" instead of we WILL have, my guess is that it's all in place. If not, they've screwed up yet again.

43 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Accordingly, for guests who did not receive their test results within 2 days prior to their embarkation, we have mobile testing sites near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing the day before, or day of, your cruise departure.

More details please (hopefully someone who uses this service will answer):

1.  Where will this mobile testing site be located?

2.  Will you be mixed with disembarkation passengers who need tests for a flight home?

3.  How long will the wait be and what will they do with passengers between testing and boarding?

4.  Will it serve terminals 92 and 93 (how far away)?

5.  How will you prove that you took a test but did not receive your results in a timely manner?

6.  Is it in place now?

I hope this will work for Princess.  I can see a step in the right direction, but with two ships in town, it could have a lot of passengers waiting to take a test.

If this virus continues much into next year  ,me thinks that the cruise lines will be struggling even more than presently ;as are the big hotel chains. So here we hope a end to the spread  of covid

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

More details please (hopefully someone who uses this service will answer):

1.  Where will this mobile testing site be located?

2.  Will you be mixed with disembarkation passengers who need tests for a flight home?

3.  How long will the wait be and what will they do with passengers between testing and boarding?

4.  Will it serve terminals 92 and 93 (how far away)?

5.  How will you prove that you took a test but did not receive your results in a timely manner?

6.  Is it in place now?

I hope this will work for Princess.  I can see a step in the right direction, but with two ships in town, it could have a lot of passengers waiting to take a test.

1... In San Pedro it's in the parking lot over by the USS Iowa ship.

2.. Don't know.

3...I'm sure you can sit on one of the benches or I can sit in my car in the parking lot.

4... Yes, they are all very close. A few minutes walk.

5...If you pay $150 you don't have to prove that you took the test in a timely manner.

6... Yes

I haven't seen it yet, this is what I have read on other posts. 

• Like 1

My understanding after speaking to a Princess representative was testing would be available at a site near the port  it you would be required to show proof you took a test but did not get the results back in time.

Edited by Syracusefan44

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Since they are saying below, "we have mobile testing sites" instead of we WILL have, my guess is that it's all in place. If not, they've screwed up yet again.

LOL.. At least its not being run thru the Medallion app 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

My My $300 per couple   a nice rip off imo 

Doesn't your county also do it for free? Why would anyone in California (living here or traveling through) pay?

For others old enough for Medicare, do they reimburse 80%? My Kaiser reimburses 100%

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Doesn't your county also do it for free? Why would anyone in California (living here or traveling through) pay?

Covid testing is free in California?  Even if it is for the purpose of proof for personal travelling?  If so, where are the free testing being offered?  At CVS?

At Minute Clinic they billed my Kaiser then if Kaiser denies they bill the county. Or so they said. We've all been tested and no one has paid. Our primary carriers are:

Me - Medicare & Kaiser

3 - John Muir

3 - just Kaiser

1 - County Health Plan

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

For others old enough for Medicare, do they reimburse 80%? My Kaiser reimburses 100%

We have paid for some of our tests due to the fact that we could not get the results back in time.  As for Medicare, we did our tests through a place that did not bill insurance.  The testing facility did give information to submit to Medicare but Medicare denied it and stated that testing should be free.  So be aware.

Memoak is right.  This was also the case for my Mom when we went to Hawaii last December.  We got the test done at a lab near the Oakland airport.  Kaiser paid the $25 for the test but we had to kick in another $100 to get it expedited so we would get the results in time. 

@memoakWalnut Creek Kaiser stated it takes up to 7 says to get results. That's why we go to Minute Clinic. For travel I need in 2 days but want before my flight, for exposure I'd want ASAP not a week

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Our county does do it for free, but it also says results will be available in 4 to 6 days. Really helpful.

Medicare paid 100% for our tests for our August cruise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Our county does do it for free, but it also says results will be available in 4 to 6 days. Really helpful.

Medicare paid 100% for our tests for our August cruise.

Medicare paid 100% because you went through a pharmacy or your county?  We did it through a private Covid Clinic and they did not do Medicare billing.

Edited by Italy52

That is good to know about non pharmacy testing locations that don't accept insurance.  Didn't think about Medicare denying those claims.   As a pre planner, I have been checking for testing locations in Fort Lauderdale if testing is still required in Jan 2022.  So far found that the CVS with the walk-in  Minute Clinic seems to be the only one that would be free  if you can get an appointment.  Walgreens shows as a drive through site and with flying in - no car.  The locations at the FLL airport, and 3 Urgent Care clinics near the port  do not accept insurance - only cash or maybe credit cards. Their pricing ranges from $74 to $149.

Edited by coo359a2

59 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Medicare paid 100% because you went through a pharmacy or your county?  We did it through a private Covid Clinic and they did not do Medicare billing.

It was an urgent care facility, not a pharmacy or directly with the county. We had to supply insurance info when we booked the test, but nobody mentioned it when we took the test. I suppose they could see they had the info. I wasn't sure who would pay for the tests or if we'd get a bill from the urgent care center, but then we got the statement from Medicare that they'd paid it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sea Hag said:

It was an urgent care facility, not a pharmacy or directly with the county. We had to supply insurance info when we booked the test, but nobody mentioned it when we took the test. I suppose they could see they had the info. I wasn't sure who would pay for the tests or if we'd get a bill from the urgent care center, but then we got the statement from Medicare that they'd paid it.

I would assume that urgent care would cover the cost; glad that it worked out for you.  Our urgent care turnaround schedule wouldn't have worked for us.  I checked many options and finally decided to bite the bullet and pay for the tests.  Hopefully, this whole process will be a thing of the past one of these days.

• Like 1