Looking for R/T transport recommendations IAH to Galv cruise port.

• 2 weeks later...

Fireworks, I've never sailed out of Galveston, but IAH is north of Houston. There is another airport, Houston Hobby, which on the south side of the city, so closer to Galveston. You may want to check which airlines fly from your city into Hobby. Still, since Hobby is smaller, you'd think there would be plenty of people needing transport from IAH to Galveston. Hopefully, someone will chine in!

1 hour ago, Fireworks77 said:

Trying to get recommendations for ground transportation from Houston to Galveston port.

cant understand why no response. Are we the only ones who need to get from IAH to Galveston for a cruise. 
is there a closer airport that we missed?

There are several companies that offer transportation from both airports to Galveston. You can reserve them in advance with either private or group vehicles.

Uber is also available and Carnival provides buses but that is quite expensive.

In short there are plenty of options available.

• Like 1

Compared to FLA departure ports, which all have a plethora of choices including reasonably priced Uber/Lyft, going to Galveston from IAH or HOU is going to be more expensive and have fewer choices.   Because of Covid, some of the choices may also be out of business.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fireworks77 said:

Trying to get recommendations for ground transportation from Houston to Galveston port.

cant understand why no response. Are we the only ones who need to get from IAH to Galveston for a cruise. 
is there a closer airport that we missed?

Carnival has ground Transportation from IAH and Hobby available through shore excursions - 

We did this yesterday and used Galveston Limousine. We booked online and it was $50 a person round trip. We had 11:30 pick up time and were there early so at 10:45 I got a call asking if I was ready so we got on early.

Driver told us don't worry about times, as long as there is room they will take you early or late. We were in a Mercedes van that seated 12 and only had 5 passengers. He said vehicles can vary from smaller vans up to big buses.

For the service received the price can't be beat. Other options/services I considered were more expensive. I did mock bookings with Lyft and Uber previously and prices started in the $70s around 9 am and went much higher as time went on with a disclaimer that drivers were limited.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

We did this yesterday and used Galveston Limousine. We booked online and it was $50 a person round trip. We had 11:30 pick up time and were there early so at 10:45 I got a call asking if I was ready so we got on early.

Driver told us don't worry about times, as long as there is room they will take you early or late. We were in a Mercedes van that seated 12 and only had 5 passengers. He said vehicles can vary from smaller vans up to big buses.

For the service received the price can't be beat. Other options/services I considered were more expensive. I did mock bookings with Lyft and Uber previously and prices started in the $70s around 9 am and went much higher as time went on with a disclaimer that drivers were limited.

Looking at Galveston Limousine for my February cruise so thank you for your reply. Sounds like my best option from Hobby.

We are flying into Hobby on Southwest but out of Bush on Frontier.  

We booked the transportation both ways through Carnival Shore Excursions.  $37 pp from Hobby to the pier,  $52 pp to Bush from the pier. 

After the Southwest debacle a few weekends ago we moved our flight from the morning of the cruise to the evening before and booked a room at Hilton Garden Inn Hobby.  They are a mile from the airport and have a free shuttle both ways, 24/7.   

In the past we have wanted a car for a couple ofdays so we used uber from the airport, rented (and returned)a car in Texas City and then another Uber to port on cruise day. Kind of a hassle and a real time waster, but much cheaper than trying to return a car at the one rental car place on the island.

This time we are using a car service called Galveston Saltwater Moms car service (they are on the site owned by Zuckerberg so I cant post a link). They have given good communication so far and the price is very competitive so hopefully if all goes well I will be able to recommend them after i use them next week.

Edited by Cousin Eddie
grammar