Where to find fancy wine on S-class, now that Cellar Masters is disappearing?

SandG

One thing that my husband and I really love when cruising is trying out really nice wines by the glass, so when we cruise on the Solstice-class ships (our preferred family of ships) we'd visit Cellar Masters once a day to try to pick out a nice wine we haven't had before.  While dream shopping for another cruise, I was upset to see that 3 out of the 5 S-ships have taken away Cellar Masters and converted the space to Craft Social !!  😢

Okay Celebrity, I understand, because craft beer is so popular nowadays, and I've got to admit that Cellar Masters had been underutilized.  The sommeliers there got to know us well because, quite frankly, there weren't that many people that would show up there regularly.   

My question is: Has Craft Social continued to maintain an extensive wine list that includes some finer selections for us wine lovers to enjoy?  If not, has one of the other bars taken over that role?  

50 minutes ago, SandG said:

One thing that my husband and I really love when cruising is trying out really nice wines by the glass, so when we cruise on the Solstice-class ships (our preferred family of ships) we'd visit Cellar Masters once a day to try to pick out a nice wine we haven't had before.  While dream shopping for another cruise, I was upset to see that 3 out of the 5 S-ships have taken away Cellar Masters and converted the space to Craft Social !!  😢

Okay Celebrity, I understand, because craft beer is so popular nowadays, and I've got to admit that Cellar Masters had been underutilized.  The sommeliers there got to know us well because, quite frankly, there weren't that many people that would show up there regularly.   

My question is: Has Craft Social continued to maintain an extensive wine list that includes some finer selections for us wine lovers to enjoy?  If not, has one of the other bars taken over that role?  

There is nothing on the boat that is that amazing. The full wine list has a few high dollar items on it but for the most part, it's nothing but 20-40 dollar bottles being sold on the cruise for almost 100. I prefer to raid my own cellar and bring 2 amazing bottles with me. 

7 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

There is nothing on the boat that is that amazing. The full wine list has a few high dollar items on it but for the most part, it's nothing but 20-40 dollar bottles being sold on the cruise for almost 100. I prefer to raid my own cellar and bring 2 amazing bottles with me. 

I do the same  i have a small wine cellar in my home with some fabulous wines which I've purchased at 20 - 30 off so works out to be a great bargain.  Although I'll be upgrading to the PBP for my November cruise it won't be for the wine choices.

9 hours ago, SandG said:

I hope someone takes the time to actually answer your question.  Price notwithstanding, it is fun to look at a wines by the glass list, try something new, and take that knowledge & experience home with you.  Cellar masters was a great way for us NOT to have to schlep bottles of wine on board and pay a corkage fee at a dining venue… we would be sad to see it gone.

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DenGNNJ said:

I hope someone takes the time to actually answer your question.  Price notwithstanding, it is fun to look at a wines by the glass list, try something new, and take that knowledge & experience home with you.

Maybe some one can post a wine list.

2 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

I hope someone takes the time to actually answer your question.  Price notwithstanding, it is fun to look at a wines by the glass list, try something new, and take that knowledge & experience home with you.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/bars-and-lounges/craft-social

• Thanks 2

When I was on the Equinox last month I asked a sommelier who was coming out of Craft Social about where I could get a nice selection of wines by the glass since Cellar Masters was no longer there.  He told me that the better selections were only available in the dining rooms.  They did have a decent selection in Blu but that didn't help during the day when I wanted to try something different.  Someone on CC thought they had a better selection at the Passport Bar so I'll look into that when we're back onboard next month.

Q for those who might know:

What's up with these Celebrity-Grgich Hills 'co-sponsored' wines, or whatever you would call them?

Chardonnay, Opulence by Celebrity Cruises and Grgich Hills

Cabernet Sauvignon, Opulence by Celebrity Cruises and Grgich Hills

Grgich makes pretty drinkable stuff.  Anyone tried either of them?

17 minutes ago, canderson said:

Here is what I received earlier this week from the shore-side folks:

Wine List - By the Glass and Bottle Pricing.pdf 312.93 kB · 5 downloads

This is great, thank you for sharing.

Isn't it true that each venue has a slightly different list?  I am searching for a Blu wine list.  I've seen one somewhere but I can't seem to find it.  Next time I see it I will bookmark it.

I recall seeing that some venues would have the Zonin Rose but not the Zonin Prosecco, which I like.

I am interested in trying some of the "Classic" wines including the Carmenere and the Shiraz even though I have the Premium package.  As well as the Opulence and Caymus.

Not sure what this list represents with regard to venues vs. availability.  It was sent to me by the concierge group at corporate.  Comparing it to lists on the app for other sailings, it may be applicable only to Constellation.  I see definite ship to ship differences.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

In what feels like a lifetime ago, I was scouring Eclipse for some Gewürztraminer - and without any luck.

I encountered the F&B Manager and said 'why not do a table of all the wines on board against the bars in which they could be found'. He thought for a second or two and said it was a good idea and he would set someone on to it.

I'm prepared to bet good money it never saw the light of day - or if it did, it blinked and ran away.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: If it's of any consolation, it wasn't much easier on Anthem of the Seas last week.

18 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

In what feels like a lifetime ago, I was scouring Eclipse for some Gewürztraminer - and without any luck.

I encountered the F&B Manager and said 'why not do a table of all the wines on board against the bars in which they could be found'. He thought for a second or two and said it was a good idea and he would set someone on to it.

I'm prepared to bet good money it never saw the light of day - or if it did, it blinked and ran away.

Regards,

Cublet

PS: If it's of any consolation, it wasn't much easier on Anthem of the Seas last week.

I'd like to see some Muller Thurgau.  Oh well.

I would write a letter to X but it probably would go nowhere.

TBH now that I’ve seen the Craft Social menu online, I like the concept very much.  In comparison to other bars onboard, Cellar Masters always seemed to be less popular and underutilized.  Broadening the offerings to include wine + craft beers + unique cocktails + food is a win in my book.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DenGNNJ said:

TBH now that I’ve seen the Craft Social menu online, I like the concept very much.  In comparison to other bars onboard, Cellar Masters always seemed to be less popular and underutilized.  Broadening the offerings to include wine + craft beers + unique cocktails + food is a win in my book.

So instead of a nice bar for wine drinkers, it's just one more ordinary bar, just like all the others???

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So instead of a nice bar for wine drinkers, it's just one more ordinary bar, just like all the others???

That is a glass is half empty view, IMO I see it a nicely designed venue where both craft beer aficionados and folks who enjoy good wine can have a nice time together with friends and making new friends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

Is it though?  Which bar onboard is just like this one??

Food makes it stick out but how long will that last?  Cocktails, wine, beer you can get at any bar.  They could work to improve the selection at other bars rather than ripping out CM.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Food makes it stick out but how long will that last?  Cocktails, wine, beer you can get at any bar.  They could work to improve the selection at other bars rather than ripping out CM.

The issue, as I see it, is that no one other bar can handle the variety that CM had or Craft will have.

Best of both worlds, IMO, in one venue.

Cheers and bon voyage

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

That is a glass is half empty view, IMO I see it a nicely designed venue where both craft beer aficionados and folks who enjoy good wine can have a nice time together with friends and making new friends.

LG my DW loves a nice wine while I prefer a true craft beer.  So this works for me.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Craft Social isn't like all the others at all, it is genuine 'Sports Bar' with the atmosphere to match.

Now I can well understand that you might not want a sports bar in place of Cellar Masters, but last time i was on a ship with a Cellar Masters it was empty the majority of the time whereas Craft Social on a recent cruise with only 50% capacity onboard was lively and had a great atmosphere every night. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1