World Cruise Questions

knope2022

2 hours ago, spintowin said:

Does the non refundable 16k bother anybody?

I guess, for those that could afford to lose it, it wouldn't bother them.

Personally I could never afford to lose it and so who knows what could happen in peoples lives within the next two years that could prevent them going on the cruise!  While I presume this is a desperately needed revenue grab for them, I find it quite greedy that RCCL have made the whole deposit amount non-refundable.    

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Fortunately that one is cheap and can be done electronically.  (online)

Yes, I have been before. But it's the aggravation of having to procure them and so many of them that's a turnoff to me. When I went to Australia, I only had to worry about 1, not several.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I believe that all of the countries in Asia do, for starters.  Brazil does.

No Visa required for US citizen tourists:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Brazil.html

"Please visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on entry/exit requirements related to COVID-19 in Brazil. 

You will need:

• A valid U.S. passport.
  • U.S. citizens do not need a visa if they are traveling to Brazil for tourism, business, transit, artistic or sport activities, with no intention of establishing residence.
  • For other types of travel, U.S. citizens may need to apply for a Brazilian visa either online here or at the nearest Brazilian consulate in the United States or abroad.
  • Find a Brazilian consulate in the United States.
  • Find a Brazilian consulate abroad.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SummerBeee said:

Visa is needed for Brazil. That’s the big thing I learned from Merion_Mom’s trip report for cruise around South America. 😂

19 minutes ago, rim140 said:

No Visa required for US citizen tourists:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Brazil.html

"Please visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on entry/exit requirements related to COVID-19 in Brazil. 

You will need:

• A valid U.S. passport.
  • U.S. citizens do not need a visa if they are traveling to Brazil for tourism, business, transit, artistic or sport activities, with no intention of establishing residence.
  • For other types of travel, U.S. citizens may need to apply for a Brazilian visa either online here or at the nearest Brazilian consulate in the United States or abroad.
  • Find a Brazilian consulate in the United States.
  • Find a Brazilian consulate abroad.

Holy crap!  The visa requirement was dropped in June 2019.  Brazil always said that they only instituted the fee when the U.S. did the same for Brazilians who wanted to travel to the U.S., and said that they would drop it when the U.S. did.  Apparently, that happened!

😲

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, spintowin said:

Thanks for the info rim140.  I have a cabin on hold and am researching how much more money this cruise will cost.

Glad to be of help! 😀 

9 months cruising, that's quite the commitment. Good for you! 👍

We've done few world cruises, but never that long. Longest we've done was 113 days I believe.  

Edited by rim140

On 10/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, knope2022 said:

Thank you all! 

Looks like we can stay in hotels which I think will be a huge win for us. Just need space to stretch between the long stretches.

I got a call back from royal saying we can drop any box that's addressed at guest services and they'll mail it, so that seems like a win. I think I may still research local backup options just in case though.

Apparently they've also gotten enough requests about schooling that they're meeting this week to discuss how kids will experience the trip + school on the boat. So I'm hopeful now we won't be the only ones on the boat.

They also did confirm no babysitting. I am hopeful some people missing their grandkids will be nice enough and we'll trust them enough to beg them to watch the kids once in a while. Fingers crossed, lol.

We are at the point now where we are sold on it and about to see what agents can help with the best OBC to blunt the costs of all the excursions. 

Thank you all so much!

Thank you for your comments! We can’t swing it financially (or rather don’t think we should!) but it crossed our minds momentarily. That is the best schooling for the kids! What an experience. Our kids would be 5 and 7 at that time and wow- what an amazing experience. Good luck in your planning!

22 minutes ago, kmcg8r said:

Thank you for your comments! We can’t swing it financially (or rather don’t think we should!) but it crossed our minds momentarily. That is the best schooling for the kids! What an experience. Our kids would be 5 and 7 at that time and wow- what an amazing experience. Good luck in your planning!

There are plenty of great itineraries on other lines, that are shorter and cost less. They are still young, so you have time to show them the world. I just booked 2 legs on Celebrity Edge Grand Journey starting Oct/2023. It works for me, and you will find other cruises that work for your family.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It may not be called a visa but you have to get it and pay for it.

It's the visa waver program....you get in 24 hours.....$20 ................

??? Not like  a green card ???

My god, how wonderful would a world cruise like this be for children. I hope it works it. 

I will say I took my nephews on a Med cruise ages 7-13. They had a little trouble - especially the little one - grasping the fact this was Italy-Italy and not Epcot-Italy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 10/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Mario is not going on the world cruise.

I would think for a person who spends months at a time on a ship spending 273 days onboard would be a dream come true? And it is also something he has never done with Royal nor probably thought he ever could do with Royal?. Nevermind that it is the most comprehensive world cruise ever? 

Until now for Mario doing a world cruise would have meant abandoning the Royal brand even if only for a few months.

Edited by ace2542

I kind of don't think anyone that is going on a 61K trip, last 3/4 of a year, will be worried about a VISA cost and/or a deposit cost.  The cruise line is not trying to grab money, but instead they are making sure, anyone that books is serious.  This isn't the kind of trip that will fill up if people cancel.  

I do wish I can do it....but the $20 visa is too much.....oh wait, I really mean the 61K.  But ask me when I retire, and maybe I will.

• Haha 1