Looking for R/T transport recommendations IAH to Galv cruise port.

Fireworks77

• 2 weeks later...

Fireworks, I've never sailed out of Galveston, but IAH is north of Houston. There is another airport, Houston Hobby, which on the south side of the city, so closer to Galveston. You may want to check which airlines fly from your city into Hobby. Still, since Hobby is smaller, you'd think there would be plenty of people needing transport from IAH to Galveston. Hopefully, someone will chine in!

1 hour ago, Fireworks77 said:

Trying to get recommendations for ground transportation from Houston to Galveston port.

cant understand why no response. Are we the only ones who need to get from IAH to Galveston for a cruise. 
is there a closer airport that we missed?

There are several companies that offer transportation from both airports to Galveston. You can reserve them in advance with either private or group vehicles.

Uber is also available and Carnival provides buses but that is quite expensive.

In short there are plenty of options available.

• Like 1

Compared to FLA departure ports, which all have a plethora of choices including reasonably priced Uber/Lyft, going to Galveston from IAH or HOU is going to be more expensive and have fewer choices.   Because of Covid, some of the choices may also be out of business.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fireworks77 said:

Trying to get recommendations for ground transportation from Houston to Galveston port.

cant understand why no response. Are we the only ones who need to get from IAH to Galveston for a cruise. 
is there a closer airport that we missed?

Carnival has ground Transportation from IAH and Hobby available through shore excursions - 

• Like 1

We did this yesterday and used Galveston Limousine. We booked online and it was $50 a person round trip. We had 11:30 pick up time and were there early so at 10:45 I got a call asking if I was ready so we got on early.

Driver told us don't worry about times, as long as there is room they will take you early or late. We were in a Mercedes van that seated 12 and only had 5 passengers. He said vehicles can vary from smaller vans up to big buses.

For the service received the price can't be beat. Other options/services I considered were more expensive. I did mock bookings with Lyft and Uber previously and prices started in the $70s around 9 am and went much higher as time went on with a disclaimer that drivers were limited.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

We did this yesterday and used Galveston Limousine. We booked online and it was $50 a person round trip. We had 11:30 pick up time and were there early so at 10:45 I got a call asking if I was ready so we got on early.

Driver told us don't worry about times, as long as there is room they will take you early or late. We were in a Mercedes van that seated 12 and only had 5 passengers. He said vehicles can vary from smaller vans up to big buses.

For the service received the price can't be beat. Other options/services I considered were more expensive. I did mock bookings with Lyft and Uber previously and prices started in the $70s around 9 am and went much higher as time went on with a disclaimer that drivers were limited.

Looking at Galveston Limousine for my February cruise so thank you for your reply. Sounds like my best option from Hobby.

We are flying into Hobby on Southwest but out of Bush on Frontier.  

We booked the transportation both ways through Carnival Shore Excursions.  $37 pp from Hobby to the pier,  $52 pp to Bush from the pier. 

After the Southwest debacle a few weekends ago we moved our flight from the morning of the cruise to the evening before and booked a room at Hilton Garden Inn Hobby.  They are a mile from the airport and have a free shuttle both ways, 24/7.   

In the past we have wanted a car for a couple ofdays so we used uber from the airport, rented (and returned)a car in Texas City and then another Uber to port on cruise day. Kind of a hassle and a real time waster, but much cheaper than trying to return a car at the one rental car place on the island.

This time we are using a car service called Galveston Saltwater Moms car service (they are on the site owned by Zuckerberg so I cant post a link). They have given good communication so far and the price is very competitive so hopefully if all goes well I will be able to recommend them after i use them next week.

Edited by Cousin Eddie
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked the Carnival shuttle from HOU Hobby to Pier. We fly in the day before and are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn and will just go back to the airport (less than a mile) to catch the Carnival Shuttle.  It was $73 for 2 of us each way.  So about $37/pp.  We were able to choose a 10am, 11am or 12 noon pick up from HOU to the pier (we chose 10am).  And then we were able to choose from 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am or 12 noon from the pier to HOU Hobby (we chose 9am) as we have a 12:45pm flight. This is our 7th cruise but first time out of Galveston. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:44 PM, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Southwest flies into hobby.  We’ve done shuttles from there and Uber also.  Plenty of options.  Have never flown into IAH for a cruise. 

what did they charge you.

if using RCCL to go to IAH, husband and I did it today.  $78 for the 2 of us.  left port at 9am.  At terminal A at 10am.  We used rental car on way to port and it was a PIA.  We observed the Galveston shuttle and we were on a big bus through the cruise line.  Best $78 i spent

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, Cousin Eddie said:

In the past we have wanted a car for a couple ofdays so we used uber from the airport, rented (and returned)a car in Texas City and then another Uber to port on cruise day. Kind of a hassle and a real time waster, but much cheaper than trying to return a car at the one rental car place on the island.

This time we are using a car service called Galveston Saltwater Moms car service (they are on the site owned by Zuckerberg so I cant post a link). They have given good communication so far and the price is very competitive so hopefully if all goes well I will be able to recommend them after i use them next week.

How was Galveston Saltwater Moms? I booked them for our December 3rd cruise. Lori is our driver. 

On 11/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, PandaBear62 said:

How was Galveston Saltwater Moms? I booked them for our December 3rd cruise. Lori is our driver. 

Be careful with these ladies. They do not even have a proper business set up. They have no commercial insurance and zero permission to collect people at the airport or at the cruise terminal, or anywhere else in Galveston for that matter. Plus it's not even the cheapest option. You'd think by foregoing all the legalities they would be able to save the passengers some money but they don't. They could literally be arrested for providing this service, while you sit in the car. Then who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 10:14 AM, MoCowBell said:

Be careful with these ladies. They do not even have a proper business set up. They have no commercial insurance and zero permission to collect people at the airport or at the cruise terminal, or anywhere else in Galveston for that matter. Plus it's not even the cheapest option. You'd think by foregoing all the legalities they would be able to save the passengers some money but they don't. They could literally be arrested for providing this service, while you sit in the car. Then who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters?

Seems a bit dramatic to suggest anyone is going to be arrested.  I'm not concerned with protecting any taxi cartels and it doesn't concern me whether they have paid concession fees to the port. I enjoyed the service and the conversation. You are correct that they were not the cheapest option, but then I didn't pick them based on price.

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 9:10 AM, Cousin Eddie said:

Seems a bit dramatic to suggest anyone is going to be arrested.  I'm not concerned with protecting any taxi cartels and it doesn't concern me whether they have paid concession fees to the port. I enjoyed the service and the conversation. You are correct that they were not the cheapest option, but then I didn't pick them based on price.

On 11/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, MoCowBell said:

The Galveston Moms are licensed and have their permits all in order.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I returned last night from sailing on the RCL AOS.  Prior to the trip, I searched and searched these boards trying to figure out how to get from IAH airport (Bush) to Galveston.  I want to share what we did in the end in hopes it helps someone else.  

We had an arrival eta at 0030 (30 minutes past midnight) into Bush International.  Since uber can be iffy at this time of day and  others we contacted declined the trip due to the late hour,  I ended up booking with Galveston Limousine & Transportation.  We were a group of 4 people and the one way trip was $227 before tip from the airport to our hotel in Galveston. Our flight ended up changing 3 times before we finally arrived and we contacted them each time to change our arrival and they accommodated us 100%.  The driver was professional, the SUV was spacious and I had no complaints.  Excellent service and I would use again. Contact information below

image.png.16c24143cf8254b234f12ce69c513a29.png

We used Uber to get to the port...had a bit of a problem at the port as apparently Uber isn't allowed in...(our driver tried)...we ended up getting off in the port, but it was a bit stressful for a few minutes.

I will mention that ubers were not easy to get while in Galveston...however, on the day the ship arrives and returns, lots of drivers come over from Houston, but the weekdays with no ship in port we struggled. We often couldn't get an XL to accommodate 4 people, so had to get 2 cars and had sometimes a 40 minute wait to get a ride.

We met a local private driver in Galveston that offered to take us back to IAH following the cruise.  We had early flights (1230), so we didn't want any delays trying to figure out transportation, so we made a reservation with him.  He texted us to let us know he was waiting for us.  Asked us to go stand under any letter when leaving the terminal and then to text him the letter and he would be right there.   He charges the same fee that uber is for the date and time.  Our return trip to the airport was $156 before tip. He drives a  minivan and was a safe driver.  His name is Mark and he  was happy to have his contact information shared in this forum. He said he is available for transport from Houston to Galveston (round trip or either way )he can be reached at 817-798-2066.  He responded to both my text messages and phone calls promptly. 

Hope this helps you with your trip planning.  

Kim

• Like 1