Changes to time line for testing prior to cruise

Goldconnection

Just wanted to share. I went out on NCL’s website and now it reads Covid-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to sail day. 

Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival at the terminal?

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying to, connecting through, or sailing to before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

Edited by Goldconnection
Clarification
  • Like 1

• Goldconnection changed the title to Changes to time line for testing prior to cruise
1 hour ago, Goldconnection said:

Just wanted to share. I went out on NCL’s website and now it reads Covid-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to sail day. 

Do I need to take a COVID-19 test prior to arrival at the terminal?

We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel. Please note that many countries are now requiring this, and requirements vary based on guest nationality, so we strongly urge you to check the official website of the country you are flying to, connecting through, or sailing to before travelling in order to comply with their requirements.

Up until now, NCL has "required" a 96 hour test if you wanted assistance should you fail your embarkation test. NCL has recently withdrawn the offer of assistance, and therefore the requirement for a 96 hour test. 

Everyone needs to read, re-read, and re-read again the information sent regarding the requirements for your specific cruise. Some destinations requires testing. Some destinations require that you register with foreign country health departments. 

Me? I try to isolate in the 2 weeks leading up to a cruise (we have been on 3). And we don't go out of our way to go to a testing center to hang out with people who are there for a reason (i.e., COVID symptoms or close contact with COVID-positive people),,, unless it is required as condition of travel.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Up until now, NCL has "required" a 96 hour test if you wanted assistance should you fail your embarkation test. NCL has recently withdrawn the offer of assistance, and therefore the requirement for a 96 hour test. 

So, NCL will no longer provide assistance if you fail their embarkation test.

I would wait until the day before the cruise and have an Antigen test to determine if I am positive. Results within 30 minutes after test. If positive, stay home,  cancel/postpone air and cruise.

As for not going to a test center, CVS testing is a safe environment as when we went in Sept, we were the only two people in the shed/room. 

There is no 100% way to stay isolated if you fly. 

51 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Everyone needs to read, re-read, and re-read again the information sent regarding the requirements for your specific cruise. Some destinations requires testing. Some destinations require that you register with foreign country health departments. 

Me? I try to isolate in the 2 weeks leading up to a cruise (we have been on 3). And we don't go out of our way to go to a testing center to hang out with people who are there for a reason (i.e., COVID symptoms or close contact with COVID-positive people),,, unless it is required as condition of travel.  

All I wanted to do was share information. I really don’t need to be told to do the obvious…READ. What you do is not important to me but thanks for sharing. Also, I don’t know anyone (including myself) who hang out in testing centers. Do you?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If you would like a Covid test a few days before you make your trip to the cruise port, you can get a test at CVS and do your own test at home. If it is not a requirement for your particular cruise, it does not have to be proctored. Some people do the test that has a person watch you on line, who verifies that you have done it correctly. But, if not required by the cruise line, you can just purchase the test that you do privately, at home. I would do this before traveling to the embarkation port for my own peace of mind.

We recently purchased at home tests at CVS. There were two test kits in the box, and it cost about twenty five dollars. The first time I saw them they were sitting on a shelf in the aisle where I was waiting to pick up a prescription. When my husband went to buy them a couple weeks later they were behind the pharmacy counter, and he just has to ask for them. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Are you certain of this?  According to the website, 96 hour PCR testing is "strongly encourage[d]."  https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe.

Yes, there's no longer an explicit promise of assistance if you do this and later test positive, but there is this:  

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

I'm not an attorney but I could see NCL trying to weasel out of a refund/FCC if people don't pre-test beforehand.  In any event, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to get on a plane without knowing I've tested negative.  Of course, there's a slim but non-zero chance that I'll become positive in the ensuing days so that much is a chance I take.  Likewise, I'm hopeful NCL would provide some assistance were that to occur, but I realize I might be on my own since it's no longer explicitly stated.

Edited by phillygwm

Thank to Op-Ed. Not for post so much as to the message. Check the rules often. They have a tendency to change.  Read the rules carefully. A single word can change the meaning. Finally have a strategy that is bases on good business sense.  

To other commenting on NCL obligations if you are tested positive at the port. Assume nothing and hedge your bets with good travel insurance. Learn from my personal past experiences. My wife had breakthrough covid 8-days prior to cruise. 50% loss in fair. If I would have been at the port, it would have been 100%.  Plus lots of other expenses. That brand was NOT NCL. The lesson was the travel insurance made us whole financial. 

Cruise well every on.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, phillygwm said:

Are you certain of this?  According to the website, 96 hour PCR testing is "strongly encourage[d]."  https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe.

Yes, there's no longer an explicit promise of assistance if you do this and later test positive, but there is this:  

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • Guests denied embarkation or reboarding, or who are disembarked or quarantined during the voyage, for failure to comply with the Norwegian COVID-19 Policies and Procedures shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Please refer to the Cruise Ticket Contract issued for your cruise for complete details.

I'm not an attorney but I could see NCL trying to weasel out of a refund/FCC if people don't pre-test beforehand.  In any event, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't want to get on a plane without knowing I've tested negative.  Of course, there's a slim but non-zero chance that I'll become positive in the ensuing days so that much is a chance I take.  Likewise, I'm hopeful NCL would provide some assistance were that to occur, but I realize I might be on my own since it's no longer explicitly stated.

if you go to frequently asked questions on NCL website there is a question that ask if you are denied boarding because of a positive covid test at pier the answer states if you followed the health and safety guidelines meaning you tested before you leave and you were negative they will coordinate and cover cost for travel arrangements for the guest and those traveling with them they are denied boarding  

1 minute ago, DAVLIB007 said:

if you go to frequently asked questions on NCL website there is a question that ask if you are denied boarding because of a positive covid test at pier the answer states if you followed the health and safety guidelines meaning you tested before you leave and you were negative they will coordinate and cover cost for travel arrangements for the guest and those traveling with them they are denied boarding  

They will pay what your insurance does not pay.  My insurance pays everything.  This is the reason I do Travel Insurance especially during covid.  I will still get tested for the inconvenience of being positive at the port. 

15 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

They will pay what your insurance does not pay.  My insurance pays everything.  This is the reason I do Travel Insurance especially during covid.  I will still get tested for the inconvenience of being positive at the port. 

Sthrngary what insurance company do you use? We are looking for travel insurance right now and are trying to decide between insurance just for the first cruise at this time or getting a yearly travel insurance since we have a few trips planned.

8 minutes ago, flcraigs5 said:

Sthrngary what insurance company do you use? We are looking for travel insurance right now and are trying to decide between insurance just for the first cruise at this time or getting a yearly travel insurance since we have a few trips planned.

My travel agent provided me Allianz Global Assistance.  I checked out the prices if I purchased it on my own and they were the same.  They have different plans at different costs.  We had it for a Crystal Cruise which we had to cancel 8 days prior because my wife had Break Through Covid.  They paid the 50% fare penalty (Crystal Rules, every brand has different rules) in 14 days.  

We have the same coverage for our upcoming NCL Cruise in November.  Hope that helps you.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

So, this may be a dumb question, but will ask anyway. We are going out of New Orleans on the Breakaway on Dec 12.  We will be flying down to NOLA on Dec 9.  Logistically, it is near impossible for us to get PCR tested and results back in less than 24 hours prior to us flying around here.
I purchased some antigen tests to take with us and was planning to have us test the Friday or Saturday before we embark (Sunday).
We are flying in from Washington State. If we are denied boarding, we will be kind of stuck. 

I know NCL will not help with our situation but as far as reimbursement of cruise, FCC would be ok.
As far as insurance, it is the policy offered by NCL.  

I see in the NCL Safe Sails policy - antigen testing would be acceptable...Am I reading this  correct?

Edited by krittykat

Thank you, Goldconnection.  That's the information (for now) that I've been waiting to hear.  With changes going on constantly, I've been hoping all this testing nonsense will be either relaxed or eliminated before our January cruise.  To be continued......(checking back all the time for the latest).

There is still such uncertainty as to whether NCL will provide assistance if you are denied boarding at the port.  It has been removed from their web site except in the FAQ portion.  As mentioned in the other responses, it is still there.  If it is, and you want to have the assurance of it if needed, then a 96 hour before boarding test is needed.  The test is only suggested otherwise.  If you have insurance, then you might not care at all.  However, before traveling to the port, for my own personal satisfaction, yes I sure would...and will, get tested at least no later than a week before.  That will preclude me maybe from getting to the port and then finding out I'm positive. In any case, I emailed NCL with very specific questions regarding this issue yesterday.  I additionally emailed my insurance company and asked what exactly will be covered if I do get to the port and then have to go into quarantine.  Haven't heard back from either yet.  

10 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My travel agent provided me Allianz Global Assistance.  I checked out the prices if I purchased it on my own and they were the same.  They have different plans at different costs.  We had it for a Crystal Cruise which we had to cancel 8 days prior because my wife had Break Through Covid.  They paid the 50% fare penalty (Crystal Rules, every brand has different rules) in 14 days.  

We have the same coverage for our upcoming NCL Cruise in November.  Hope that helps you.

Cruise well.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:07 PM, Sthrngary said:

We got insurance soon after booking for our cruise.  It covers just about everything, including quarantine.  I interpret the q&A answer the same as you did.  Our cruise is not until next summer, so I haven’t inquired about this, as surely things will change. I would if my cruise was for the near future as  @roger001has done. 

I am not sure why this means for those who do not secure q insurance, 

We  will get tested before we leave home and again at the 96 hour mark, or whatever mark is required at that time.  Several reasons for that. 

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

There is still such uncertainty as to whether NCL will provide assistance if you are denied boarding at the port.

Agree.  

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

Please keep us updated. 

Just remember all insurances that I have researched will need a Physicians diagnosis of Covid, not just a positive test, to get reimbursed.  Have no idea how that goes, since if you call for an appt. due to testing positive, unless you are very ill, you wont get in???  Crazy

Sthrngary:  Did your wife need a diagnosis from a medical person, or just a positive test??

Yes, Good point.  As far as I know, you do need a diagnosis.   My agent stated that Telehealth visits have been accepted.  So, I guess claims are occurring, at least though the travel insurance company I use.  It is advisable to have a plan for sure, especially for when you are away from home. 

On 10/24/2021 at 9:48 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

If you would like a Covid test a few days before you make your trip to the cruise port, you can get a test at CVS and do your own test at home. If it is not a requirement for your particular cruise, it does not have to be proctored. Some people do the test that has a person watch you on line, who verifies that you have done it correctly. But, if not required by the cruise line, you can just purchase the test that you do privately, at home. I would do this before traveling to the embarkation port for my own peace of mind.

We recently purchased at home tests at CVS. There were two test kits in the box, and it cost about twenty five dollars. The first time I saw them they were sitting on a shelf in the aisle where I was waiting to pick up a prescription. When my husband went to buy them a couple weeks later they were behind the pharmacy counter, and he just has to ask for them. 

We had the rapid tests at our local quick care center.  No charge.