New to Cunard - various questions

Twolittleboys

13 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

And just what would it connect to?

We have been able to connect to t mobile while sailing on Holland America in Alaska and New England while at sea. We never connect to anyone’s wireless due to security. Obviously it won’t work in the middle of the Atlantic, but there are many situations where you could avoid Cunard wifi. Ours is many years old and I need to buy a new one, but it has served us well in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.

1 hour ago, techteach said:

We have been able to connect to t mobile while sailing on Holland America in Alaska and New England while at sea. We never connect to anyone’s wireless due to security. Obviously it won’t work in the middle of the Atlantic, but there are many situations where you could avoid Cunard wifi. Ours is many years old and I need to buy a new one, but it has served us well in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.

Not very useful on our preferred itineraries [transatlantic round trips].

Perhaps the next Starlink iteration [adding satellite to satellite laser links] will allow for higher bandwidth mid ocean coverage than the existing geosynchronous satellites.

The current Cunard WC 'gold' allocation has been sufficient, as it seems that the available hours are restored on each segment of the cruise that was sold separately. [and we tend to work offline, and upload/download in batches]

3 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

@TwolittleboysCunard is wonderful, special, unique, and our absolute favorite line…

But

They do not have their technology as advanced as other lines. So just know that they don’t.

We are business owners who must stay connected for work… and we have elderly family who needed to stay in contact. Disconnecting from technology is not an option.

So just be prepared.

Cunard is fabulous… but improving their tech is an issue they will have to face going forward. 

Yes, I am getting that impression. Like I said I had major issues with the app on my last (Royal Caribbean) cruise but that was entirely due to the two embarkation ports. However, internet worked great (in the Med) and was affordable (a little under $100 for five day full access/streaming etc.). 

I can make do without the internet mostly (but couldn't for longer than this trip as I do need it to work) but would have liked to stay in closer contact with my children (which is why I went ahead and got the internet package on my last cruise in spite of not having intended to). But I am sure I will manage.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, Twolittleboys said:

Ugh, not so happy about the App. It was a HUGE pain on my last cruise. Do you need internet access for it to work?

Speaking of which - I did not see cost for internet in the cruise planner. Did I just overlook it?

Do you need a reservation for the pub as well?

You just need the "free" level of internet access for the "app" access. The same access level gets you to cunard.com pages but nothing else.

Internet is still charged by the minute (unless they've changed during COVID). It's best to buy a package of minutes if you really need access (maybe 30-50 cents per minute, larger packages being cheaper See here). Beginning with your third cruise Cunard gives you a small package as part of your Cunard World Club benefit and that package doubles in size with each step up in level. I've generally managed within whatever allocation my CWC level gets me.

No reservation required for the pub, as far as I know.

• Like 1

"- I think I read that the buffet at the moment is run like a regular restaurant and has the same food as the MDR. So what is the difference between them (other than dress code/location)?"

Can anyone confirm that they are serving the same food at KC as they are in the MDR?

53 minutes ago, tlcm said:

"- I think I read that the buffet at the moment is run like a regular restaurant and has the same food as the MDR. So what is the difference between them (other than dress code/location)?"

Can anyone confirm that they are serving the same food at KC as they are in the MDR?

Queen Mary 2 hasn't started sailing yet so nobody will be able your question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 12:35 PM, Twolittleboys said:

Thanks! I did read somewhere you could bring on whatever but then saw some older posts that talked about just one bottle of alcohol (not really planning to bring on anything other than soda anyway) so thought I would check.

I will fly in from Germany two day before but plan to spend one day in London and then travel to Southampton in the morning. I was indeed planning on taking a fairly early train (and I guess if closer to the time it turned out that strikes/bad weather etc. are expected I might travel down the night before) but was wondering whether there is a way to get rid of the suitcase so I could explore Southampton instead of just sitting at the port.

On 10/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, Twolittleboys said:

Thanks! I did read somewhere you could bring on whatever but then saw some older posts that talked about just one bottle of alcohol (not really planning to bring on anything other than soda anyway) so thought I would check.

I will fly in from Germany two day before but plan to spend one day in London and then travel to Southampton in the morning. I was indeed planning on taking a fairly early train (and I guess if closer to the time it turned out that strikes/bad weather etc. are expected I might travel down the night before) but was wondering whether there is a way to get rid of the suitcase so I could explore Southampton instead of just sitting at the port.

Soda by the trolley load will be fine.

Think the luggage drop opens around 11.00 hours, but one knows a member will know the exact time.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

On our recent 1 November trip, luggage was take at 11:45 am and by deck. After that, you join the queue for LFT. Boarding times were checked and about 12:15 the line moved forward and we queued to have our passports and Vaccination Certificates checked.

Next was the actual test. All your details are taken prior to the swab, after which you are given a green wrist band which allows entry to the check in hall where you wait until they send you a text.

You then show the result and can check in, Passports are checked again and photographed. Your boarding pass (that you printed yourself) is stamped and you proceed to the holding area.

We boarded a few minutes after 1:00 pm as we travel QG.

Apparently, four passengers failed the LFT and were denied boarding.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

On our recent 1 November trip, luggage was take at 11:45 am and by deck. After that, you join the queue for LFT. Boarding times were checked and about 12:15 the line moved forward and we queued to have our passports and Vaccination Certificates checked.

Next was the actual test. All your details are taken prior to the swab, after which you are given a green wrist band which allows entry to the check in hall where you wait until they send you a text.

You then show the result and can check in, Passports are checked again and photographed. Your boarding pass (that you printed yourself) is stamped and you proceed to the holding area.

We boarded a few minutes after 1:00 pm as we travel QG.

Apparently, four passengers failed the LFT and were denied boarding.

How do they get their baggage back from the mass of baggage if they are denied after giving up their luggage?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 5:53 AM, Twolittleboys said:

I am booked on the 12-day Canary Island cruise in early December - this will be my first cruise with Cunard (mostly Royal Caribbean so far) and I do have a couple of questions:

Trying to decide about a drinks package:

- Am I correct that it is allowed to bring soda on board (and maybe also other drinks)? Is there a fridge or something to keep drinks cool in the cabin?

- I believe Cunard has Pepsi products in general, but does serve Coke in vintage bottles in some of the bars etc. Does anyone have experience with how difficult it is to get a Coke/where to get it? Do they have it in the MDR?

- Are there any free drinks (ice water/lemonade/ etc.) available? If so, when and where?

- Does the premium soft drink option include bottled sodas (yes, I do much prefer Coke to Pepsi)?

- How does it work if you order a drink without a drink package - do you have to hand over the card/sign etc.? How about with a package? Do you still have to sign or is it enough to show the card?

Arrival procedure:

- I believe at some point I will be assigned a check-in time to get to the ship, correct? If someone shows up a lot earlier, is there a way to drop off the suitcases already? I would like to book my train journey soon but don't know when check-in at the port will be. Not bothered by spending some time in Southampton but not with luggage.

I think that is it for the moment - I am sure I will think of more questions. Of course any other tips would be appreciated!

If you drink alcohol Cunard allows you to bring some on board unlike other cruise lines. Cunard treats you like an adult. And if you enjoy coffee in you cabin, bring some of your own because the kind, they have in the cabins is the most disgusting that I have ever had. I always advise to take some air freshener also. Start making that list,....

On 10/30/2021 at 10:21 AM, techteach said:

We have been able to connect to t mobile while sailing on Holland America in Alaska and New England while at sea. 

I wouldn't call being close enough to land towers to get any sort of useful cell phone service being "at sea".   Anything much over 25 miles gets pretty weak -- and the folks who erect the towers are smart enough to not put them on the coast because that limits the inland utility.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wouldn't call being close enough to land towers to get any sort of useful cell phone service being "at sea".   Anything much over 25 miles gets pretty weak -- and the folks who erect the towers are smart enough to not put them on the coast because that limits the inland utility.

Well when sailing from Sydney to Brisbane we got good shore based cellular signal a lot of the time- I was really surprised - almost the whole we were in sight of land and I got a decent signal. However withing an hour of sailing north of Brisbane - absolutely nothing - having to be further out to sea to avoid the Great Barrier Reef - ruined the internet connectivity! 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:55 AM, rakkor said:

IMG_20210824_195347_2.thumb.jpg.389ad647cf8be8f9817fca67dc7cd5f8.jpg

It's free (with caveats), but when  you just fancy a little snack, then probably overkill 

Thanks so much for this menu photo; it was really helpful.  I also enjoyed reading yout blog as I am booked on the same Atlantic Coast trip for January.  Helpful to know about the possible late return to Southhampton so I will consider that in booking my return flight to U.S. along with assorted Covid tests.

4 hours ago, comcox said:

Re: Internet.  Has anyone found that using the ship's computers, rather than your own smart phone or lap top, had faster internet.  Or is it basically the same speed regardless of the device?

I have used the ship’s computers and did not notice any difference in comparison to using my own devices.

4 hours ago, comcox said:

Re: Internet.  Has anyone found that using the ship's computers, rather than your own smart phone or lap top, had faster internet.  Or is it basically the same speed regardless of the device?

The last time one checked think it was about $45.00 for 2 hours, but there were longer (cost effective) packages available and when boarding, there was a “free extra minutes” for buying on the first day.  
Tip.  
Note to self.  Don’t forget to LOGIN and LOGOUT - Repeat - Don’t forget to LOGIN andLOGOUT - Switching off one’s device does not end the connection - LOGOUT !

When managing Emails, first LOGIN - Download - then immediately LOGOUT - deal withEmails, sends etc - Then LOGIN- Send - Then immediately LOGOUT 

Ship’s Internet is slow, reception in some areas is non existent and has the ability to crashfor no reason. 

18 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The last time one checked think it was about $45.00 for 2 hours, but there were longer (cost effective) packages available and when boarding, there was a “free extra minutes” for buying on the first day.  
Tip.  
Note to self.  Don’t forget to LOGIN and LOGOUT - Repeat - Don’t forget to LOGIN andLOGOUT - Switching off one’s device does not end the connection - LOGOUT !

When managing Emails, first LOGIN - Download - then immediately LOGOUT - deal withEmails, sends etc - Then LOGIN- Send - Then immediately LOGOUT 

Ship’s Internet is slow, reception in some areas is non existent and has the ability to crashfor no reason. 

Ditto..........about logout after you are finish using the computer. Don't know how many people lose their time not doing so... Thank you Port Royal.

As for the speed of the computers, I think there is no difference either in the Library or pvt laptop.

And I know it's a topic always on these boards. We even see the difference with the weather conditions the ship is in.

We are blessed that both mine and my DW are Diamond Level which affords us with plenty of minutes to use before purchasing if needed.

I personally use the computer on board before breakfast and before midnight bedtime. During the day it is used intense by other passengers and I think the system drags.

18 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

I like caffeine diet coke and carry a 24 case on board, just the hassle of carrying from the car to your cabin. I even wondered about bring a cart to carry on - anybody tried? 

Collapsable wheeled carts, trolleys, bags, boxes etc are used to bring onboard any type of beverage from Widower to Water.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Wheeled

14 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

I like caffeine diet coke and carry a 24 case on board, just the hassle of carrying from the car to your cabin. I even wondered about bring a cart to carry on - anybody tried? 

A friend puts a whole case of champagne into the luggage drop off without any problem, so a wee case of diet coke should be no problem as long as it's properly labelled.