Fly from Southampton England?

jp45atcc

Our July 2023 cruise ends in Southampton England.  Has anyone experienced this before?  Flights from London would take far less time, but we don't know where Oceania passengers typically fly from.  It's a long way off,  but just wondering.

We flew out of LHR   but you can also fly from Gatwick

Plan on at least 1.5 hrs to get to the airport from the port  plus check in etc.. before booking  a flight

You could fly from SOU   but you will connect some place along the route  EG AMS or DUB

Southampton is a small airport mainly offering domestic flights but does have some international flights to European holiday destinations.

As others have said, flights to America will be generally from Heathrow (although some flights may be from Gatwick - although I've never flown from there)

If you look through the "Britain" sub-forum in the Ports section, you'll come across threads discussing the best way of transferring from the ship to the airport. Road (by transfer company) or rail are the two real options

My trip's easier. I walk across the road from the ship, collect the car and have a three hour drive north.

• Like 1

Don't bother flying Southampton/LHR. You will spend more time checking in/general faffing about!

Check the CC boards to see if there's anyone that you can link up with to hire a minibus/taxi from the Southampton docks to LHR.

Consider spending a couple of nights in Southampton if you can. It's a great city and more than just a port. You will also be able to take a (public) bus to the New Forrest.

Have a great trip and enjoy yourselves

Josie

In many years of visiting Portsmouth for work, I found it best to book a mini-cab or car and driver to get to LHR for my flight home.  Taking the train into London and then the express back to the airport was not a viable option.   The mini-cab would pick me up at my hotel and the driver had all the joys of getting me to the airport on time.   Estimated transit time from Southampton to LHR is about 90 minutes, but can get worse at peak traffic times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Don't bother flying Southampton/LHR. You will spend more time checking in/general faffing about!

Check the CC boards to see if there's anyone that you can link up with to hire a minibus/taxi from the Southampton docks to LHR.

Consider spending a couple of nights in Southampton if you can. It's a great city and more than just a port. You will also be able to take a (public) bus to the New Forrest.

Have a great trip and enjoy yourselves

Josie

We disembarked on the Marina at Southampton and had reserved a car with Smiths For Airports service. Very good service and took approximately 75 mins to LHR.

• Like 2

Only a 15 minute taxi ride for me home from the Port. I have flown out of Southampton Airport many, many times but only to airports in the UK, ski flights to Switzerland and Spain. As stated KLM and Aer Lingus to USA can be an option but never suited us.

Inexplicably there is not a rail to LHR as you need to jump on a coach at Woking which would be a faff. As for changing in London........! A rail to LGW is a possibility though and can be direct in less than 2 hours. Book early and get a good price.

If I was spending $$$ I would likely get a taxi. We tend to do that.

P.S. I was under the impression that Oceania cruises usually use Portsmouth which is 30 minutes up the road. Worthwhile doing an overnight and enjoying the Historic Dockyards and wander around HMS Victory. 

3 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

P.S. I was under the impression that Oceania cruises usually use Portsmouth which is 30 minutes up the road. Worthwhile doing an overnight and enjoying the Historic Dockyards and wander around HMS Victory. 

Usually they use Southampton  but notice  for some upcoming cruises Portsmouth  is the new embarkation port

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Usually they use Southampton  but notice  for some upcoming cruises Portsmouth  is the new embarkation port

Looking through 2023 European season a little more than half of O's England departures are from Portsmouth, all of the rest are from Southampton.

Edited by edgee

20 minutes ago, edgee said:

Looking through 2023 European season a little more than half of O's England departures are from Portsmouth, all of the rest are from Southampton.

Yes the only other port I have noticed for the South of England was Dover

Maybe something happening in Southampton so moving some ships embarkation/debarkation to Portsmouth ..not that far away

I too have had good experience with Smiths going to / from Heathrow.  

Once we actually took the bus (National Express) from Heathrow to Southampton.  The bus station is a short walk from the Novotel Southampton which worked out fine on our lovely August afternoon.  A bargain too, something like GBP15 one way.

I have had very good experiences three times with Mason & Green [https://masonandgreen.co.uk/].  This last trip the owner himself was our driver, and we have some interesting conversations about owning a business in the UK.  Very nice fellow, glad to send more business his way!