A question for recent Edge/Apex Luminae Cruisers....

Dr. Cocktail

Happy Halloween!

I'm booked on my first cruise post .... *everything* and am still a wee bit uncomfortable dining in close proximity to others.

I've noticed on pictures that the two tops in Luminae are VERY close together.

How crowded was the dining room on your sailing post restart?

Thanks!

We just returned from the Apex TA.  Although the ship was not crowded as the Captain initially reported 1227 passengers total.  I would not be surprised if 100% of the suites were occupied.  The only areas of the ship that were crowded were the Retreat areas including Luminae.  If you are concerned about social distancing while dining, I suggest you dine in on of the MDR or Specials restaurants.  Luminae was busy most of the time.  Obviously this varied depending on timing.  
I would say there was certainly attempts to leave some tables between two tops empty, it was usually not possible at dinner.  Two people at a four top is the safest bet.

Edited by jagoffee

Just off Edge yesterday. There hasn't been a single positive case (passenger or crew) on the last 9 sailings, so I hope that would ease your concern.

If you still are uncomfortable, you can ask the staff at Luminae to seat you someplace away from others. You would miss out on making new friends, which we did almost every meal.

The specialty restaurants are not fully staffed and reservations are limited leaving empty tables throughout the venues. That's another option for you. Lastly, the Rooftop Grill is outdoors which should feel very safe.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

I also got off the edge yesterday.  we had a large group. we typically took 2 tables. Besides the buffet a couple of times.  no one ever sat at a table next to us in any dinning room. we ate in all 4 main dining rooms and the Eden.  If you are worried about keeping space from others, it's very possible right now. if you are really worried... wear a mask as often as you want. some did. and if you are really... really worried just stay home until you feel comfortable.  no point ruining your trip from being worried.

We got off the Edge yesterday and Suites were fully booked.  We normally eat around 7:45-8 and Luminae was full at that time.  DH wears hearing aids and if he can be seated in a corner or with his back to a wall it reduces the ambient noise and he can comfortably dine.  We changed our schedule to go to dinner at 8:30 and Luminae was far less crowded.  

On 2 nights we went to 1 of the MDRs  rather than Luminae and because they have a lower occupancy right now people were spaced out.  We had no one seated within 8’ of us it was very pleasant, quiet and food was excellent.

It can get a bit crowded, but you're in a COVID-free bubble on the Edge.

Crew is masked and tested twice weekly. Every passenger presents a vaccine card and has been tested in the prior 48 hours to the cruise. It's as safe as I have felt since the plague began.

Go! It's a great experience!

• Like 3

Thanks for all of your kind answers!!!

Coming from Toronto where it's all still pretty strict, it's going to take a bit of work to "let go"!

As we view "early" dining being 8:15, I think it could work quite well!

My sailing comes with enough obc to buy two lifeboats,  a private dinner with Captain Kate's cat or an Apple iBlob (it's REALLY new and very expensive and EVERYONE wants one even though they don't know what it does ...) so splurging for Specialties is NOT a problem.

I think what looms in the background for us Canadian cruisers is that departure PCR - one test I don't want to fail!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This might or might not help. But we ate dinner early 5:30 to 6:00 pm and never had a problem, except lobster night, when everyone 'miraculously' finds the time to arrive at 5:30 pm.

We did the same a few weeks ago on Edge. We got to Luminae at 5:30 and had no issues with anyone sitting next to us. The last night was a bit more crowded. If you go at 6:30 or later it might have more diners. We had no issues with social distancing on the ship as there were only 900 onboard. 

Edited by lovrccl
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Coming from Toronto where it's all still pretty strict, it's going to take a bit of work to "let go"!

Definitely can relate to this. As American who recently went on a Celebrity sailing abroad, I was very concerned about the pre-embarkation testing AND the pre-debarkation testing so I can fly back home. But if you continue to do what is necessary and take reasonable caution, you will have a great time and stay safe as well.

I think that the fact that Celebrity is willing to get you home if you test + confirms the fact that it's not something that happens too frequently!  Private transfers cost the company a LOT of money.....

I actually cancelled a sailing on Regent in favour of Celebrity as Regent's policy on failed PCR's was far too opaque for my tastes.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Had second thoughts about my post. Got the idea from what hostess mentioned to us in passing. She stated she has a most difficult time seating suite guests in the Luminae when one guest at some table happens to cough, many around that coughing guest asks to be moved to another table. Hence....

We had a couple of "coughing" persons sit down next to us in the Edge Luminae the first two times we asked for a table for 2 by the window. After the second time, we asked to be moved on our next visit to a table away from everyone, location didn't matter, which the maitre d' had no issues providing.

If you're curious where they sat us, the next time you go to Luminae as you enter the dining room on your way to being seated, look immediately to your left. You will see 2 tables for 4. We were seated at Table 2 on the right. My DW loved it as no one could sit next to her, as there was a partial wall between us and the table for 4 on the other side of the divider which had a window view, for the remaining 20 days of our B3B cruise. Also, during those 20 days, only twice was there a couple seated at Table 1, another out-of-the-way table.

BTW we had to take antigen tests the day before our first and second legs ended, so we were doubly motivated not to catch whatever those "coughing" people were trying to share, which was probably nothing. But ... 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

We found that if we sat "at the wall" (the four tops along the wall between the dining room and the server's station), that people do not often want to sit there so we rarely had anyone near us, and when we did, they were still not too close. 

We also found that those table provided an excellent view, the best in the restaurant in our opinion. I really hesitated about posting this because I didn't want to give my secret away. 🙂

• Like 2

Again, I can't thank everyone enough for all those tips and tricks.

I'm personally loath to share my own "secrets" but much appreciated!

This has been all .... so civilized and cordial!  CC at it's best!

I wasn't made fun of for my reluctance and all the suggestions were thoughtful, kind and considered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Happy Halloween!

I'm booked on my first cruise post .... *everything* and am still a wee bit uncomfortable dining in close proximity to others.

I've noticed on pictures that the two tops in Luminae are VERY close together.

How crowded was the dining room on your sailing post restart?

Thanks!

We sailed the Edge 3 weeks ago.  Yes, the 2 tops were pretty close.  Maybe 3 feet apart.  I would say Lumine was 60-75% full most nights.  Hope this helps.

I suggest as you board you discuss your anxieties with the M’D. They will totally understand and do their best to place you in a spot you are comfortable with. They may also advise you re quieter times.

After all of us being cautious for so long we are wise to be reluctant to drop our guard. We took a UK ‘staycation’ cruise this year and loved it. We wore masks when moving venues but found the restaurants felt very safe…

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

As an FYI.....Cruise lines are indeed only filling their ships to a variety of @50%+ capacity adding more as they staff up.   Please also keep in mind that Big Money is made from Suite passengers.  Hence new Celebrity ships have more suites, Celebrity Beyond will have an extra deck and more suites then Apex and Edge, MSC is starting a New completely separate luxury line, etc.   All cruise lines lines that I know are selling suites at 100% capacity and leaving crew in insides and ocean views, other less desirable and $ cabins etc where they make far less $$ and can easier afford to be "Empty".   I was on Apex for several weeks in Aug/September and the busiest dining room onboard was Luminae and Non Suite guests I met at the martini bar continually complained that the main dining rooms were empty....As far as our Luminae experience, it was empty when it opened and after the shows began 815PM ish.  We usually dined at 830pm and it was nice and quiet.   Now the people eating dinner wearing their bathing suits?  That was a problem.....;)   

• Like 1

Great thing is a cruise isnt required. If I felt uncomfortable eating with others I wouldn’t subject myself to being on a ship.

Your butler can arrange dinner in your room every night . 🙂 That might be an option for you.

Edited by glmacruise

17 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

Great thing is a cruise isnt required. If I felt uncomfortable eating with others I wouldn’t subject myself to being on a ship.

Your butler can arrange dinner in your room every night . 🙂 That might be an option for you.

You're kinda' missing my point ...... that's why I'm asking .... I don't know how I'll feel!

The vast majority of us Canadians have been locked down in one way shape or form for the last 18 months.....

I just want to know what my escape clause is if I'm not comfortable!

14 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

You're kinda' missing my point ...... that's why I'm asking .... I don't know how I'll feel!

The vast majority of us Canadians have been locked down in one way shape or form for the last 18 months.....

I just want to know what my escape clause is if I'm not comfortable!

I told you. Your butler can arrange in room dining for you. 

23 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

I told you. Your butler can arrange in room dining for you. 

I think after about 250+ days on Celebrity, many of those days in Suites, I’ve figured out what’s available to me…

No need to repeat…..

Edited by Dr. Cocktail