Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

17 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

If this is the case, I’m surprised we haven’t heard more complaints about this issue. Since I will be on board in February for this itinerary, I guess I should be grateful for a lower cabin class! 

Possibly it’s more of a problem because of Quests power problems but we just accepted it as normal for cruising in that area, when we put our hands on the window glass it was freezing, as were the outside walls. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I wonder if there is any news on when they will receive the part they need to fix the problem.

And so sorry about the lack of proper heat in your suite, Holly and Will!

Thank you.  We had a visit from the head of housekeeping, the chief engineer, and the hotel director this morning.  They say that the problem is cold air penetration from the windows, and that every stateroom has the same problem.   There is an available Owners suite on deck 6 but we are told it is just as cold.  We have agreed to keep our drapes closed 24/7.   When we mentioned running on three engines they claimed that had been fixed, which I sincerely doubt.  

This morning there was a person from across the pond falsely telling another woman that some passengers are having blankets attached to their window because they find it so cold.  And wondering why would those people even take a cruise like this?  Good grief.  🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Possibly it’s more of a problem because of Quests power problems but we just accepted it as normal for cruising in that area, when we put our hands on the window glass it was freezing, as were the outside walls. 

Yes, the windows do seem to be a big contributor to the problem.  I have cruised to Alaska at least 10 times, everywhere from May to September, as well as from Alaska to Tokyo and never had such a cold stateroom, so I think it is the outside climate as well as mechanical issues.

• Like 1

Whilst it’s a feature in that part of the world, one of the delights of our northern lights cruise above the arctic circle on Viking in the winter was how beautifully warm our rooms were. As a result you didn’t have to wear thicker tops indoors. 
Looks like my packing list for February might need revision 🥲 as I’d assumed Azamara indoors would be as warm. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, uktog said:

Whilst it’s a feature in that part of the world, one of the delights of our northern lights cruise above the arctic circle on Viking in the winter was how beautifully warm our rooms were. As a result you didn’t have to wear thicker tops indoors. 
Looks like my packing list for February might need revision 🥲 as I’d assumed Azamara indoors would be as warm. 

Me too. Might have to see how the January cruise goes too

• Like 1

Been to Antarctica on Quest in a portside Owner's Suite.  Yes, the latge glass area made the suite chilly.  Not really a big deal or worth a Cruise Critic complaint.  Crew taped one of the two sliders shut to reduce cold air infiltration and that helped.  Not at all surprised there have not been complaints.  It's cold near the poles.  Even in their summer.  We put on another layer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Been to Antarctica on Quest in a portside Owner's Suite.  Yes, the latge glass area made the suite chilly.  Not really a big deal or worth a Cruise Critic complaint.  Crew taped one of the two sliders shut to reduce cold air infiltration and that helped.  Not at all surprised there have not been complaints.  It's cold near the poles.  Even in their summer.  We put on another layer.

Seriously?!?  I am from Canada.  Not some whining Karen from California or Arizona. Our Owners Suite temperature has been on average 15 to 17 degrees Celsius.  I didn't pay well north of $20K to have to wear my down jacket inside my suite to keep from catching my death of cold.  But so happy for you that it wasn't a 'big deal'.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Seriously?!?  I am from Canada.  Not some whining Karen from California or Arizona. Our Owners Suite temperature has been on average 15 to 17 degrees Celsius.  I didn't pay well north of $20K to have to wear my down jacket inside my suite to keep from catching my death of cold.  But so happy for you that it wasn't a 'big deal'.

Feng, I was describing MY experience, not yours.  I am 9000 miles from you and have no idea of the temperature in your suite.  MY experience was not a "big deal."  But a glass-walled suite near the poles will be difficult to heat, and people reading this thread should understand that.

We did an Antarctica excursion in January 2023 on Atlas Ocean Voyages' World Traveller. We were in Antartica for a full seven days. It was cold outside (especially for us Florida sissies), but inside the ship was nice and warm, including in the staterooms. We spent much of our time in The Dome, a top-deck lounge with 270 degrees of glass walls and a large glass dome in the ceiling. It was a little cooler in there, mainly because people would go in and out of one of the two doors to be outside to take photos. The cold air coming in each time the doors opened lowered the lounge temperature. This was the only area of the ship indoors that felt cool. In the rest of the ship, temps were fine. 

@FengShui@Sea, sorry for your major discomfort. This isn't right in any cabin, but especially bad for an Owner's Suite. I hope you enjoy the cruise otherwise, and take in the beautiful scenery.

Kevin

• Like 5

11 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I did not see the comments by @FengShui@Sea as a complaint and I’m glad they posted here to highlight the issue they found. I was expecting the same indoor conditions on a cruise to the polar regions as I’d enjoyed on another line which has even more windows and natural light. For whatever reason Azamara cannot maintain that temperature in some rooms just now.  

At least thanks to the post  I know to modify my packing given the number of sea days which I had planned to spend a higher percentage of time in our suite than usual. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I've done Antarctica and must admit didn't feel the cold inside around the ship. My veranda cabin was ok for temperature, but I was plagued by rattling balcony dividers the whole trip. I have to say, I'm incredulous at their solution. Duct taping a blanket to the window?  Nice view!!

It's an amazing itinerary. I hope you get to enjoy it. 

Phil 

• Like 4

It would be unfair not to mention that (other than the lack of heat) the service, food and scenery have been wonderful.  I would be very tempted to do this itinerary again on a different ship.  

It is frustrating that management won’t admit that the ship has mechanical problems for fear of having to compensate us.  My husband is a mechanical engineer and is quite aware the explanation they gave us yesterday (that the sole problem is because it’s cold outside) is not the truth.  

@uktog It would be a shame to have to overpack, but I would throw in an extra jumper!  😉

IMG_0642.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

This morning there was a person from across the pond falsely telling another woman that some passengers are having blankets attached to their window because they find it so cold.  And wondering why would those people even take a cruise like this?  Good grief.  🙄

LOL. No prizes for guessing who that was. 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I would be very tempted to do this itinerary again on a different ship.  

I

If you decide to do Antarctica again, I encourage you to consider one of the Ponant ships. We did the sailing "Beyond the Polar Circle", 22 nights on Ponant's Le Soleal ship, which visited the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. I was magical, with zodiac landings, and walking among much wildlife and flora. Ponant is a French line, and their food was wonderful, and they did many nice touches like a champagne party on an iceberg. We loved it. 

We departed the Quest in Buenos Aires, just before this sailing, and the repair had not been made at that time. If you want to check if it has been completed, the most telling way to do so is to go to the back of the ship and look at the trail left behind. When facing the back, the trail/wake is strong on the left side, but very light on the right side from the lack of propulsion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

If you decide to do Antarctica again, I encourage you to consider one of the Ponant ships. We did the sailing "Beyond the Polar Circle", 22 nights on Ponant's Le Soleal ship, which visited the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. I was magical, with zodiac landings, and walking among much wildlife and flora. Ponant is a French line, and their food was wonderful, and they did many nice touches like a champagne party on an iceberg. We loved it. 

We departed the Quest in Buenos Aires, just before this sailing, and the repair had not been made at that time. If you want to check if it has been completed, the most telling way to do so is to go to the back of the ship and look at the trail left behind. When facing the back, the trail/wake is strong on the left side, but very light on the right side from the lack of propulsion. 

Good point good observation 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Silversea suite laundry bag vs Azamara suite laundry bag.  After I add a few blouses and shirts there will only be enough room left for two sesame seeds and the heart of a Hollywood producer.  🙄

IMG_0646.jpeg

These used to be called shoe bags 🙂  I remember when the Azamara bags were the size of those on the left however I am an expert at compression and creating a lethal punchbag that could contain upwards of 50 items 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, uktog said:

These used to be called shoe bags 🙂  I remember when the Azamara bags were the size of those on the left however I am an expert at compression and creating a lethal punchbag that could contain upwards of 50 items 🙂 

Me too. It is also no big deal for me to do a load of laundry myself, especially on a cruise with lots of sea days.

• Like 2

We had 5 bags of laundry included in our Indulgence Package on our recent Quest sailing, but we only used 2 of them during the 22 nights. We were able to get 21 items and 18 items into the bag using uktog’s method, and could have gotten a bit more in them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Me too. It is also no big deal for me to do a load of laundry myself, especially on a cruise with lots of sea days.

Same here.  I only plan to send out shirts and blouses that need proper ironing towards the end of the cruise.  I much prefer to do my own laundry. 

• Like 2