Black Sea July2022

Mamma G

5 minutes ago, blag said:

I am not sure that the prices are absurd, because it seems that there are people prepared to pay them.

But, absurdity is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, $550/night on Azamara ship in basic 170 sqft cabin is absurd. 

I'm a numbers guy. When I pay for something, I need to understand what am I paying for.

In this case, it's pretty clear. Azamara basically has a monopoly in this area, and they can charge whatever they like. Especially if people are willing to pay.

For 2022 sailings the prices are higher than other sailings, but still acceptable. For 2023, they are 25-30% higher. If you were lucky enough to book early and pay less, good for you. You got a good deal.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, $550/night on Azamara ship in basic 170 sqft cabin is absurd. 

I'm a numbers guy. When I pay for something, I need to understand what am I paying for.

In this case, it's pretty clear. Azamara basically has a monopoly in this area, and they can charge whatever they like. Especially if people are willing to pay.

For 2022 sailings the prices are higher than other sailings, but still acceptable. For 2023, they are 25-30% higher. If you were lucky enough to book early and pay less, good for you. You got a good deal.

Silver sea are going to Black Sea in September of this year Silver Spirit £8820 for a vista suite. As you like them maybe check it out, you are obviously not going there with Azamara 🤔

• Like 2

At this time, even more than usual, comparing prior prices on one line with current prices on another will give the wrong answer.  Silversea recently adopted a new pricing model with shore excursions along with all their other inclusions – and jacked up their prices dramatically on this 'door to door' model.  To counter that, they now also offer 'port to port' pricing that excludes airfare, transfers, shore excursions and I don't know what else – but also has draconian non-refundable provisions.  So there is no possible apples-to-apples comparison between Silversea and Azamara.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, uktog said:

. Sometimes you have to give some thought to where you place things and it might not be where you immediately prefer but it’s totally achievable. Cluttering up surfaces or worse the floors is disrespectful to the cabin staff imho. 

Totally agree. I hate a cluttered cabin and store clothes in drawers and closet, put suitcases under the bed, and bring magnets and magnetic hooks for hats, bags, paperwork 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Totally agree. I hate a cluttered cabin and store clothes in drawers and closet, put suitcases under the bed, and bring magnets and magnetic hooks for hats, bags, paperwork 

Quite agree. I also take 2 lots of hanging pockets that I hang on the hooks inside that bathroom door and use to store things like suntan cream, moisturiser etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

At this time, even more than usual, comparing prior prices on one line with current prices on another will give the wrong answer.  Silversea recently adopted a new pricing model with shore excursions along with all their other inclusions – and jacked up their prices dramatically on this 'door to door' model.  To counter that, they now also offer 'port to port' pricing that excludes airfare, transfers, shore excursions and I don't know what else – but also has draconian non-refundable provisions.  So there is no possible apples-to-apples comparison between Silversea and Azamara.

Very true. We experienced it first hand when booking our December cruise. The difference between door to door and port to port was about $2,200 USD for economy flight from Toronto, more than double compared to booking independently. We ended up doing port to port with non refundable deposit, you can always do cancellation insurance. The price of $4,400 USD for 12 nights including excursions and everything else was simply irresistible.

So I agree it's not easy to make apples to apples comparison, but you can always adjust for inclusions, cabin size and other things.

17 hours ago, blag said:

I am not sure where you get your figures from, but we are, as usual, in a Club Continent Suite (266 sq. ft) and we have not paid as much as you have stated!

How can you say that you did not pay what was stated ($550 per night for the smaller cabin)? If you have a Club Continent Suite on the July Black Sea sailing, you paid over $15,000, or two people. That comes to $1,366, per night.  Or am I missing something here?

9 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

How can you say that you did not pay what was stated ($550 per night for the smaller cabin)? If you have a Club Continent Suite on the July Black Sea sailing, you paid over $15,000, or two people. That comes to $1,366, per night.  Or am I missing something here?

I did not pay the sum mentioned. That is how I can say what I did say.

Because it's the truth.

It's a fact. 

I paid in GBP (Sterling), and even allowing for conversion rates, and fluctuations thereof, I paid much less than $15,000 (USD) via my TA. 

Edited by blag
Clarification

5 minutes ago, blag said:

I did not pay the sum mentioned. That is how I can say what I did say.

Because it's the truth.

It's a fact. 

I paid in GBP (Sterling), and even allowing for conversion rates, and fluctuations thereof, I paid much less than $15,000 (USD) via my TA. 

I would like to work with your travel agent if he/she was able to get you the July 30, 11 night Black Sea cruise (the Black Sea July2022 topic of this discussion) in a Club Continent Suite for less than $550 per night ($6,050), that is a considerable savings, and I would offer the agent a $1,000, bonus if that suite can be booked for that price!

9 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

I would like to work with your travel agent if he/she was able to get you the July 30, 11 night Black Sea cruise (the Black Sea July2022 topic of this discussion) in a Club Continent Suite for less than $550 per night ($6,050), that is a considerable savings, and I would offer the agent a $1,000, bonus if that suite can be booked for that price!

Now, what you are saying differs from what you said previously.

Your latest total would seem to be (using your calculation) 2 * $6,050 = $12,100.

That figure is, in my opinion, much less than the $15,000 you mentioned previously.

In fact, using your later figures, this sum is closer to what I paid, although still over $1,000 more.

We could go round this loop several times, but, I beseech you, accept what I have told you. I paid much less than $15,000.

I don't know the full details, there was a very prolonged and complex dialogue involving many negotiations with my TA and Azamara with respect to a total of six cruises, this being one of those six. 

This is what Azamara shows now for July 30 11 nights cruise:

image.png.ca37d0601bbaa76bd450d32fb5e70db8.png

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/voyage/on11m245/11-night-black-sea-intensive-voyage

That's $18,430 CAD for 2 people (including taxes) or $14,450 USD or $650 per night per person.

If you paid much less, this means that:

1) prices have increased significantly since last year

2) you got a significant discount from your TA

3) prices are lower in the UK

4) exchange rates were better

5) all of the above

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

5) all of the above

I think we have a winner!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

This is what Azamara shows now for July 30 11 nights cruise:

image.png.ca37d0601bbaa76bd450d32fb5e70db8.png

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/voyage/on11m245/11-night-black-sea-intensive-voyage

That's $18,430 CAD for 2 people (including taxes) or $14,450 USD or $650 per night per person.

5) all of the above

Like Host Jazzbeau, I think 1) is correct.

As for

2) we got a discount because we spend a lot with our TA, but not a significant reduction.

3) I do not believe that prices are lower in the UK.

4) exchanges rates were worse

Edited by blag
Clarification

As soon as I saw the Black Sea Cruise itinerary published I booked. The cabin grade I booked is now GBP1650 per person more expensive. I have had my eye on this itinerary for a long time and the price I paid was the best deal I had seen for a long time. I am guessing it was cheaper at the beginning to entice nervous bookers to commit to 2022. I booked just over a year in advance.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, blag said:

Like Host Jazzbeau, I think 1) is correct.

As for

2) we got a discount because we spend a lot with our TA, but not a significant reduction.

3) I do not believe that prices are lower in the UK.

4) exchanges rates were worse

Azamara prices can be all over the place. Up and down like a yoyo. I've experienced it on more than one occasion myself and I'm talking about £000s on a cruise. It happened on an Antarctica cruise, another to South America and one to Norway. Prices in the UK can be lower too depending upon when you book. Different fares for different markets and for where they are trying to attract bookings. 

Phil 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, john1970 said:

As soon as I saw the Black Sea Cruise itinerary published I booked. The cabin grade I booked is now GBP1650 per person more expensive. I have had my eye on this itinerary for a long time and the price I paid was the best deal I had seen for a long time. I am guessing it was cheaper at the beginning to entice nervous bookers to commit to 2022. I booked just over a year in advance.

We usually book in advance as well, but 2023 prices are now significantly higher than 2022. 

We just today found this Roll Call for the July 30, 2022 Azamara Onward Black Sea cruise and have totally enjoyed reading the discourse.  As of today’s news, we suspect this adventure, too, will be cancelled just like the last three we had booked.  Price, room & shower size aside, I only have the following comments:  We LOVE Azamara because of the itinerary, the small number of guests and the professionalism of the crew.  We DO NOT care about closet space as we only travel with carry-on luggage regardless of the length of the trip.  We travel for 2 months OR for two weeks with the same amount of luggage.  We DO NOT care about the entertainment as our entertainment is found OFF the ship each day.  As far as food….as long as I’m (Susan) not cooking/serving it, I’m happy with it.  We also love Azamara for the people who travel with her and we are certainly looking forward to meeting all of you!  Peace to the World so our  trips can go ONWARD!

Susan & Joe

Tucson, Arizona

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tucsonsuson said:

We just today found this Roll Call for the July 30, 2022 Azamara Onward Black Sea cruise

This is not the Roll Call for the cruise – that is here:

This thread probably should have been moved to the Roll Call forum when it was started, but it's too late now!  [And it has drifted far away from the Roll Call topic, as threads do...]

4 hours ago, tucsonsuson said:

We DO NOT care about closet space as we only travel with carry-on luggage regardless of the length of the trip.  We travel for 2 months OR for two weeks with the same amount of luggage

Wow I can’t imagine traveling for more than a week-end with just a carryon.  That is a trait I wish I had but it’s impossible for me.  My husband would appreciate me packing A LOT less.  

1 hour ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Wow I can’t imagine traveling for more than a week-end with just a carryon.  That is a trait I wish I had but it’s impossible for me.  My husband would appreciate me packing A LOT less.  

Tell your husband it is your 'first world' duty to add to the employment of porters everywhere you go.  See, it's not 'overpacking,' it's philanthropy! 😀

• Haha 3

On 1/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, Mamma G said:

Hi Sue, to be honest I am more worried about the situation developing on border of Ukraine. If it escalates, I could see cruise being cancelled. Hopefully things will settle well before July. 

After recent developments, Mamma G, we have done a Lift and Shift to Quest sailing from Sydney to Perth, February 2023 and B2B on to Hong Kong. Disappointed but excited to see southern Western Australia as we had to cancel a land trip there last year because of the plague, and to see some old favourites again: Bali, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong.

Perhaps another time to the Black Sea!

Sue

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:12 PM, ak1004 said:

To each their own.

Service on Crystal was comparable to Azamara in my opinion. Food better on Crystal. Entertainment on Crystal one of the best of all lines, on Azamara it's a joke. Ships are old but well maintained on both lines, but entry level cabins are really small on Azamara. On Crystal you could book OV cabin and still be very comfortable. Azamara was the only ship out of 16 cruises that we did that the cabin felt really small, and the shower is ridiculous.  

But I agree about itineraries.  

Is crystal still cruising ? were they not part of the Genting Group that went under ?