Canadians: RCI onboard testing prior to disembarking

Tracy Po

2 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Jayssszzzuuuusss chroiiiiist this is serious. Let us know what happens. Luckily I have a 2 PM flight on my debark day which leaves some time to deal with a test on land if I have to but I would really rather avoid the crunch. 

Just got a call from guest services and we are getting a PCR test on Saturday. They will contact us with the time.

51 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Hints out of Ottawa is that there will be a change of policy at the end of the week. Possibly removing the PCR test for vaccinated individuals crossing at a land border.

The policy change is supposed to be announced on Friday, the 19, but the actual change will take effect Nov 30.  That’s the announced plan.

• Like 1

Yes, the initial article I read didn't have as much in the way of specifics and cited only folks lobbying for the removal of the PCR requirement and TT and Duclos saying decisions would be coming soon but implying there would be positive changes.

This decision, like all decisions made in Ottawa, is dumb.  This makes it easier for Canadians to spend money abroad but does nothing to bring in revenue from Americans wanting to come to Canada to travel. As long as the PCR test remains for vaccinated Americans wanting to come to Canada the Canadian tourism industry will continue to bleed.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

I just looked  Royal health center on their website, I can no longer find the statement that they will test us onboard for our trip home 😳

Can someone take a peek as I may simply have not seen it  ?  

Cruising Jan 9th out of Miami but getting all my ducks in a row for this cruise is starting to get to me with the planning and paperwork. It was once fun 

8 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m not liking this change too much. I’d prefer it being done the day prior than when stepping off the ship.  Don’t our tests have to be uploaded 24 hours before our arrival or is just prior to our arrival OK?

No mention anywhere I can see that it has to be uploaded 24 hours before arrival.  If that were true, RCCL will be catching a lot of flack from people who have flights home to Canada the day the test is done (pretty well all of them).

Changing the test to the day of departure AFTER you depart the ship will just add another level of stress hoping that the test is done, and you have your results when you attempt to board your plane to Canada.  I wonder what will happen if they do the test in the terminal and your results are not sent to you in time to upload the documents and board your scheduled flight.  Seems like RCCL has taken a step backwards with this idea.  It will be interesting to monitor this over the next few months to see how it all plays out.

8 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

We are currently on Harmony and getting the run around.Guest services is saying the test are back at the terminal when we get off.I showed them what their website says about getting it on board.Seems their info they were given doesn't match what it says on Royal's website. They are looking into it and will contact us.Good ol Royal communication......

I read your followup that they are now doing your tests on the last day of the cruise and not disembarkation day for you.  Glad they are doing that for you.  It should help alleviate some stress.  It sounds as though that will not be the normal practice going forwards though, and testing will take place in the terminal on disembarkation day.  Should be interesting on a time like Ontario March break week when they have to administer 1000 tests for Canadians disembarking a ship and get all those 1000 results in the span of a couple of hours.

14 hours ago, Cardex said:

This must have changed. We had the choice to book an appointment for the antigen or PCR. We booked the PCR test. 

Back in August, you could only book the rapid test online.  We went to Guest Services and they seemed surprised we wanted a PCR test, so they arranged that for us.

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

No mention anywhere I can see that it has to be uploaded 24 hours before arrival.  If that were true, RCCL will be catching a lot of flack from people who have flights home to Canada the day the test is done (pretty well all of them).

Changing the test to the day of departure AFTER you depart the ship will just add another level of stress hoping that the test is done, and you have your results when you attempt to board your plane to Canada.  I wonder what will happen if they do the test in the terminal and your results are not sent to you in time to upload the documents and board your scheduled flight.  Seems like RCCL has taken a step backwards with this idea.  It will be interesting to monitor this over the next few months to see how it all plays out.

I read your followup that they are now doing your tests on the last day of the cruise and not disembarkation day for you.  Glad they are doing that for you.  It should help alleviate some stress.  It sounds as though that will not be the normal practice going forwards though, and testing will take place in the terminal on disembarkation day.  Should be interesting on a time like Ontario March break week when they have to administer 1000 tests for Canadians disembarking a ship and get all those 1000 results in the span of a couple of hours.

What makes you think there will be 1000 Canadians there just for March break? That’s a LOT. doubt it

16 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m not liking this change too much. I’d prefer it being done the day prior than when stepping off the ship.  Don’t our tests have to be uploaded 24 hours before our arrival or is just prior to our arrival OK?

7 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

When we returned last week you did not upload your test results into arrivecan.  

Through only thing that you uploaded was your proof of vaccination.  You just had to sign a statement that you had to have the test results available for inspection and they made you aware if the penalties if you fid not.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

The reason it is now being done at the pier is precisely because of the larger numbers of foreign  guests sailing.  They were starting  to run into capacity  issues with it being done on board.  Getting it gone at the pier mesns they can subcontract it and increase the number of staff providing the test  relative to the number if people requiring it.

Just for our sailing that had 2000 guests total and only a small % of those requiring the test they had 4 people signing you in and 4 people performing the test.

On land it is scalable, at sea it is not. 

19 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

What makes you think there will be 1000 Canadians there just for March break? That’s a LOT. doubt it

We cruise each March break week.  In past years (including our cruise on the Odyssey in August), the cruise director would often tell us during a show introduction how many guests were onboard from different countries.  On several of the larger ships, they have announced numbers near 1000 guests from Canada in the past.  You would be surprised how many Canadians like to get away for a week in the Caribbean and the only week for many of us to do it is during our March break week.

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The reason it is now being done at the pier is precisely because of the larger numbers of foreign  guests sailing.  They were starting  to run into capacity  issues with it being done on board.  Getting it gone at the pier mesns they can subcontract it and increase the number of staff providing the test  relative to the number if people requiring it.

Makes sense if there is going to be a very large number of people requiring the tests.  I hope they do not run into trouble with providing results prior to foreign passengers needing them to re-enter their home countries.

As an aside, my in-laws are getting their PCR tests done on the Symphony tomorrow at 3 pm for their Saturday disembarkation.  I guess not all ports/ships are doing this shoreside as of yet.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Royal is still providing complimentary PCR testing, right?  Royal's site seems to have removed the statement that it's available for vaccinated guests needing it to return to their home country.

I noticed it yesterday too.  I am glad that cruisers are confirming that it is still being offered however I really wish we could see it in writing again.  

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We cruise each March break week.  In past years (including our cruise on the Odyssey in August), the cruise director would often tell us during a show introduction how many guests were onboard from different countries.  On several of the larger ships, they have announced numbers near 1000 guests from Canada in the past.  You would be surprised how many Canadians like to get away for a week in the Caribbean and the only week for many of us to do it is during our March break week.

We too have seen high numbers of Canadians during March break, especially on Oasis Class ships. 

I guess one advantage for us this year, our flight home is to Detroit. If we don’t have our results until we are ready to cross in Port Huron at 3/4pm.  If we don’t by then, there might be an issue. I guess we could always get one in Port Huron if needed. At least we aren’t flying right into Toronto and need it prior to boarding the flight in MIA. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, marktwothousand said:

You've obviously never cruised during "Canada week" as I call it.  It's VERY obvious that you're on a ship full of Canucks.  I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumbered the Americans that week.  

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

You've obviously never cruised during "Canada week" as I call it.  It's VERY obvious that you're on a ship full of Canucks.  I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumbered the Americans that week.  

LOL, how is it obvious? A shipload of people endlessly apologizing to each other??? 😁

15 hours ago, cruzincanuck said:

… I am glad that cruisers are confirming that it is still being offered however I really wish we could see it in writing again.  

It can be found for your particular reservation.

1)Sign in to your account/reservation number. Click “view boarding pass”

2) Click “Be ready to board

Review our health and safety protocols.”

3) Scroll to bottom of pop-up. Click “Questions? Visit our health center ”

4) On new page scroll to 

“Departure testing
Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 will take a complimentary antigen test (PCR if required by the destination) onboard the day before their cruise ends for sailings 5 nights or longer. Complimentary COVID-19 testing is also available for vaccinated guests who need it for entry into their next destination. More information will be provided onboard.”
  • Thanks 1