Serenade OTS Review: Nov 8 - 13, 2021

Boo's Mom

Serenade of the Seas Review 

November 8 - 13,  2021 

Cruising on Royal Caribbean with a vaccine exemption 

Diamond Member: cruising since 2002

Embarkation Port:  Tampa 

Passengers onboard the ship:  1132 

Like many of you, I had two cruises cancelled during COVID and was banking a pot of Future Cruise Credit (FCC). At the time of the cancellations, the offer was a full refund or 125% FCC.  

In March 2021 I contacted my cruise consultant and put all of the FCC onto one cruise:  The November 8, 2021 sailing on the Serenade OTS. 

Pre-Cruise Hotel 

I stayed at the Marriott at 505 Water Street.  This is the Marriott that is directly across the street from the JW Marriott.  A nice hotel with modern (but still functional and comfortable) furnishing in the room. 

For example: Simulated wood floors and a rug under the bed. 

Hotel was a 7 minute Lyft ride to the ship. Easy.  

Embarkation

When you check in for your cruise (prior to the cruise) you will choose from available check in times. This is a new Covid procedure so that 1000+ people are not arriving at the ship at one time. I think it is a great plan and can see the benefit of this being continued post Covid. This system alleviated a lot of rush/anxiety, etc that one might experience when they get out of a vehicle and there is enormous activity buzzing at the port.  The porters were calm and in no rush.  It was just better. And (from my perspective) more efficient. 

I chose the 12:30 pm - 1pm slot.  I arrived at the port at approximately 12:20 pm.  There were probably 200 people waiting in various lines.  My time slot was already moving and the later time slot passengers were sitting and waiting before they could get in an active line. 

Vaccine Exemption 

I did sail with a Royal Caribbean vaccine exemption.

I will not be sharing any details on my exemption because I believe that is private and personal information.  But, I understand that there are medical and religious exemptions.   

Before I continue with my review I would respectfully ask you to not throw mean/bullying comments at me because I did what I was allowed to do which was to apply for an exemption.  Royal Caribbean was gracious and professional and within a few days the exemption was approved. 

The purpose of my review is to inform/educate. I know that many of you had no idea that Royal Caribbean was approving exemptions. 

At the time I applied for the exemption I was fully aware that there would be additional restrictions imposed upon me and I certainly was planning to abide. 

Vaccinated passengers on the ship wear a white rubber wristband. I wore no wristband.  The unvaccinated children (thru age 11) also wore no wristband. 

Like all passengers, I took a Covid test prior to arriving at the ship.  For a Monday sailing I took my test on Sunday.  The earliest I could have tested was Saturday. I purchased the at home test kit recommended by Royal Caribbean.  I bought a 3 pack. The cost included expedited shipping to my home.  I carried the kits in my carry on luggage when I flew to Florida.

Doing the test in my hotel room was easy and I did not have to worry about finding/getting to a testing location that was open or a location that was administering the precise test that RCI required.  Although the sample was processing for 15 minutes, the complete time involved (pre processing time, processing time, and post processing time) took about 30 minutes.  The results were immediately emailed to me.  

Like the unvaccinated children, I was tested again at the port prior to being allowed to embark the ship.  The testing was free.  I understood (because I asked) that there were 12 children being tested at the port on Embarkation Day.  They have a separate holding area (the wait time was 40 min) where passengers waited for the result of their tests.  

The RCI staff at the pier did not know what to do with me at first.  They had no experience with a vaccine exemption, at least with an adult vaccine exemption.  They were, however - extremely gracious and professional.

I was tested on the last day of the cruise also.  This was also free of charge to me.  It was myself and the 12 children.  I understand that I was the only adult sailing unvaccinated on this cruise. 

Lifeboat Drill 

This drill has been replaced by the Safety Briefing.  Another Covid policy change that I think is GOOD and should be continued long after we are done with Covid. You watch a video on the RCI app.  It is just a few minutes long.  The app identifies that you have viewed the video.  You listen to an audio file of what the ship’s emergency signal sounds like.  The app identifies that you have listened to the audio file.  I did these two things while in my hotel before boarding the ship.  Once onboard the ship, you have several hours to physically go down to your muster station.  The ship’s staff are there.  They will scan your app and confirm that you showed up and now you know where your muster station is located.  They then sent me to another staff (still in muster station) who had a 2 minute conversation with me about the muster station, when to come, etc.

There were no other passengers going through this process while I was there.  Very 1:1. This was at approx 3pm. 

Since 2002 I have seen the Lifeboat drill evolve.  Originally we would get our life jacket from the room and go to the muster station for the mass briefing.  And then the mass exodus when it is done with all passengers trying to get back to their cabins on jammed up elevators, to return the life jackets to their cabins.  

Not too recently, we did not have to bring the life jackets with us to the muster station. 

I am digging the Covid version of the Life Boat Drill.  Simple yet effective.  

Entertainment

The Welcome Aboard Show in the main theater featured the Orchestra, one song with the RCI singers & dancers, and a comedian.  The Comedian was Greg Vaccariello. He was okay.  His “white man dancing” segment was hilarious. 

On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give him a 6. 

The Adele Show was excellent!  Don’t miss this talented woman: quite the entertainer. 

Phil Tag is another comedian; headliner show in the theater. He was good. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give him an 8. 

Specialty Dining 

Giovanni’s is always a good option.  I dined here on the first night.  The food is always good.  Service is very good.  The amount you pay for the meal does include the gratuity.  I always tip a little extra. 

If you are Diamond (or above) and get the free drink credits (Diamond gets 4 ) on your card every day, you can use these credits in the Specialty restaurants. 

The only negative about my experience at Giovanni’s is the obvious push to encourage me to return to the restaurant on additional days of the cruise.  A mention is fine; multiple times is too much and takes away from the excellent dining experience. 

At 7pm there was only about 4 tables of passengers in the restaurant. I understand they are needing to fill these restaurants, but great products will stand alone and sell themselves in the long run.  

Chops

Always another good choice.  I dined with a friend and her husband. Good company always makes a great meal. We skipped dessert; eating way to much food on this cruise.  This restaurant is a big draw for formal nights, so make your reservations early - long before your cruise sails. 

Dining Room

I did not eat in the dining room on this cruise. I did order a few lunches and dinner delivered to my suite.  Suite passengers can order from the dining room menu (at no cost) anytime the dining room is open and serving. I will say that I was impressed with the meals that came to my room.  Even with all courses being delivered at one time, they were rather delicious and warm. 

Windjammer

The staff has to serve you anything and everything. I did eat at the Windjammer two times (both lunch).  When you walk in, they scan your card.  Could this serve two purposes:   tipping allocation and covid? 

Your tips get dispersed to the waitstaff that serve you.  If you are eating in the dining room, they go the the dining room.  If you eat in the windjammer, they go to the windjammer. 

The scanning of my card also told the staff that I was not vaccinated, so she politely let me know which areas I could be seated at once I got my meal. She actually took me and showed me the locations. 

Typical Windjammer food:  not great; not bad. 

Covid Restrictions 

Venues on the ship were marked “V” or “E” on the Daily Planner. “V” is for people who are vaccinated.  “E” is for everyone, meaning vaccinated or unvaccinated. 

I was determined to be compliant with RCI’s restrictions as RCI was very gracious with everything to do with my vaccine exemption status. 

Vintages was forever off limits and that was really hard for me. On the Serenade OTS, Vintages is a gorgeous little venue. It did appear as if passengers were sitting at the bar. 

In many other areas, (outside bars, Concierge Lounge, Schooner Bar, etc) there were signs on the bar seats stating that these were reserved for social distancing. There were also misc tables in the Schooner Bar (for example) that were blocked (signage on table) so that passengers were not sitting at all available tables.

Here is the link to “V” and “E” venues specific to each Royal Caribbean ship:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-there-any-experiences-that-are-closed 

Concierge (Suite) Lounge/Diamond Lounge 

Normally, I would be eligible for both lounges, but due to my vaccine status, I was not allowed to be in the Diamond Lounge.  From what I heard, the DL was VERY crowded:  lots of Diamond (and above) onboard. 

Remember if you are Suite and Diamond (or above):  The free drinks loaded on your card every day do not apply to what you are drinking in the Concierge Lounge.  You can drink in the CL every evening and then go to other bars (any time of the day) to use your drink vouchers. 

Veterans Day Ceremony 

The Serenade OTS did a Veterans Day Ceremony onboard on Veteran’s Day.  This took place in the Centrum.  The effort was good.  Old Glory gets me every time; she represents so much. 

My (hopefully) helpful critique:  ceremony organizers (everywhere!) need to better distinguish between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  They certainly have overlapping elements, but they are honoring two separate and distinct groups of people.  Most programs tend to lean heavily toward Memorial Day elements while you have living, breathing veterans in your audience and the focus leans heavily on the fallen. 

I see this everywhere.  As a military veteran, I wish more people would pay attention to the differences in the two holidays. 

Ports of Call 

Costa Maya and Cozumel

I had private tours booked months in advance at both of these ports. 

According to RCI, as unvaccinated, I was only able to disembark the ship at these ports if I had a tour booked with RCI. I had to cancel both of my private tours.  I did do an RCI Tour in Costa Maya. I am not sure what the whole “bubble tour” chatter is/was about, but the tour I took with RCI was just one of their tours.  I freely mingled with dozens and dozens of people (passengers and locals) during my day in Costa Maya. The passengers I mingled with (all adults; no kids were on the tour) were all vaccinated.  I was the only unvaccinated adult sailing on the Serenade OTS.  I disembarked the ship on my own and wandered around in town after the tour - on my own and returned to the ship on my own. If I was on my private tour I likely would have only interacted with 2-3 locals.  Although I understood the issue/concern, the solution did not make much sense. Maybe it looks good to the CDC on paper?  As I put my brain on the whole process, it was a good effort but if you study the execution it was a fail. 

I stayed on the ship when we arrived in Cozumel.  I have been to Cozumel about a dozen times.  I had a relaxing day in my suite: working, napping and communicating (via Facebook Messenger chat) with family back home. 

Internet/Communication 

I purchased the Internet Package.  I paid a few extra dollars a day for the  streaming version. I guess it was worth it?  I was well pleased with the internet connection and was able to switch over from my laptop to my phone easily and did so numerous times a day. 

Disembarkation

Everyone waits in their cabin until it is time for you to disembark. Brilliant.  Let’s keep this post Covid too! - likely is not possible because the issue is cleaning approx 2400 cabins.  Today they had to clean only 1132 cabins.  But, yes - disembarkation was the most relaxed process ever in my cruising history.  

Overall 

I give RCI an A+ (and extra credit) for how they have handled the Covid situation.  I know the cruising industry has suffered greatly in the last 20 months.  Can we even begin to understand the protocols/procedures/rules/mandates/legalities, etc that they have had to juggle and then re-juggle?  

I think as loyal passengers, we can all help the situation by getting back to cruising as soon as we are comfortable.  Be patient with RCI (or whichever cruise line you are engaging with).  Tip well when you are in a tipping situation. Support the industry that has well supported you through the years. 

Royal Caribbean continues to offer a solid product.  

My experience is on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.  

Most cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. 

Would I cruise again unvaccinated?

That’s a good question that I don’t have an answer to right now. I understand and respect the restrictions placed upon me as an unvaccinated adult.  I feel that RCI made generous accommodations. I believe that my situation was a little more “comfortable” because I did sail in a suite and there are nice suite perks (ie: ordering room service from the dining room menu during DR hours).  I am not sure I will run to book another cruise in the next 12 months.  Hopefully, Covid is going to go away and everything will be back to normal again;  this is my prayer.  I have been cruising for 19 years. I love cruising and I love the community/comradery that cruising provides.  

Thanks for reading! 

Happy Researching and Happy Cruising

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I really enjoyed reading your review.  Thank you.

Did you watch Serenade go under the Sunshine Bridge.  We've cruised from Tampa twice and enjoyed it both times, but it does take a little juggling of dinner times.

19 minutes ago, Boo's Mom said:

likely is not possible because the issue is cleaning approx 2400 cabins.  Today they had to clean only 1132 cabins. 

I assume you meant guests - the number of cabins is about 1/2 your numbers.

32 minutes ago, mafig said:

I really enjoyed reading your review.  Thank you.

Did you watch Serenade go under the Sunshine Bridge.  We've cruised from Tampa twice and enjoyed it both times, but it does take a little juggling of dinner times.

I did see it!  I was dining in Giovanni's at the time.  It was gorgeous! 

Nice review. 1132 passengers was pretty much the same we had on the sailing before you.

Glad to hear the disembarkation was smooth on your cruise. Doesn’t sound like they called 25 luggage tags out of 27 all at once like the Serenade cruise before yours.  🤨

Edited by coaster

9 hours ago, Boo's Mom said:

Ports of Call 

Costa Maya and Cozumel

I had private tours booked months in advance at both of these ports. 

According to RCI, as unvaccinated, I was only able to disembark the ship at these ports if I had a tour booked with RCI. I had to cancel both of my private tours.  I did do an RCI Tour in Costa Maya. I am not sure what the whole “bubble tour” chatter is/was about, but the tour I took with RCI was just one of their tours.  I freely mingled with dozens and dozens of people (passengers and locals) during my day in Costa Maya. The passengers I mingled with (all adults; no kids were on the tour) were all vaccinated.  I was the only unvaccinated adult sailing on the Serenade OTS.  I disembarked the ship on my own and wandered around in town after the tour - on my own and returned to the ship on my own. If I was on my private tour I likely would have only interacted with 2-3 locals.  Although I understood the issue/concern, the solution did not make much sense. Maybe it looks good to the CDC on paper?  As I put my brain on the whole process, it was a good effort but if you study the execution it was a fail. 

This is an extremely well-written review, and I appreciate the effort that you put into it.  I am glad that you had a good cruise.  But I must remark on what I have highlighted above.

If you did that, you completely violated Royal Caribbean protocols, and you are darn lucky that they didn't put you off the ship.

I can only guess that they didn't "catch" it because they had never had an unvaccinated adult before on the Serenade, and didn't have the automatic warning in the SeaPass machine to flag you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

This is an extremely well-written review, and I appreciate the effort that you put into it.  I am glad that you had a good cruise.  But I must remark on what I have highlighted above.

If you did that, you completely violated Royal Caribbean protocols, and you are darn lucky that they didn't put you off the ship.

I can only guess that they didn't "catch" it because they had never had an unvaccinated adult before on the Serenade, and didn't have the automatic warning in the SeaPass machine to flag you.

I did nothing wrong. 

I took their tour. 

That was the requirement. 

I was given no instruction other than I had to take their tour. 

They actually did flag me when I disembarked the ship. 

I told the staff that I was taking a Royal Caribbean tour. 

They allowed me to disembark the ship. 

32 minutes ago, Boo's Mom said:

I did nothing wrong. 

I took their tour. 

That was the requirement. 

I was given no instruction other than I had to take their tour. 

They actually did flag me when I disembarked the ship. 

I told the staff that I was taking a Royal Caribbean tour. 

They allowed me to disembark the ship. 

Got it.

You lied.

They believed you.

You willfully violated the protocols.

Got it.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Got it.

You lied.

They believed you.

Got it.

I am confused about your assessment that I lied. 

RCI (knowing I was traveling on an exemption) handed me a tour ticket.  

I followed the directions on the tour ticket. (which required me to disembark the ship and meet my tour at a predetermined location off of the ship)

I took the tour. 

2 hours ago, Boo's Mom said:

I am confused about your assessment that I lied. 

RCI (knowing I was traveling on an exemption) handed me a tour ticket.  

I followed the directions on the tour ticket. (which required me to disembark the ship and meet my tour at a predetermined location off of the ship)

I took the tour. 

You were not supposed to wander around town on your own after the tour.  The bubble tours are to return directly to the ship.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, akeka said:

You were not supposed to wander around town on your own after the tour.  The bubble tours are to return directly to the ship.

These instructions you speak of were never given to me. 

Reality:  I finished the tour.  I used the restroom (had to wander to find it). I looked for some food - didn't find anything I wanted to eat.  I returned to the ship. 

If we (cruise ship passengers) were under the impression that the "bubble tour" was guided by RCI staff and monitored by RCI staff and/or movement restricted by RCI staff, - this was not my experience on my day in Costa Maya. 

This is a good example of how things fall between the cracks. If you are going to provide an exception you have to know how to handle it. The whole purpose of "bubble excursions" are so you don't mix and mingle with people outside the group. You aren't supposed to go off wondering on your own. if you aren't vaccinated you aren't supposed to be allowed off the ship without an RC excursion....and right after that excursion you are supposed to return directly back to the ship. It sounds like the OP returned to the ship and then decided to again leave the ship to wonder around port on their own and somehow RC didn't catch it.

2 minutes ago, bajathree said:

This is a good example of how things fall between the cracks. If you are going to provide an exception you have to know how to handle it. The whole purpose of "bubble excursions" are so you don't mix and mingle with people outside the group. You aren't supposed to go off wondering on your own. if you aren't vaccinated you aren't supposed to be allowed off the ship without an RC excursion....and right after that excursion you are supposed to return directly back to the ship. It sounds like the OP returned to the ship and then decided to again leave the ship to wonder around port on their own and somehow RC didn't catch it.

Exactly.  

2 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Your assessment is incorrect. 

"It sounds like the OP returned to the ship and then decided to again leave the ship to wonder around port on their own and somehow RC didn't catch it." - this did not take place. 

If you re-read my posts above you will see the order of the events that took place. 

5 minutes ago, Boo's Mom said:

Your assessment is incorrect. 

"It sounds like the OP returned to the ship and then decided to again leave the ship to wonder around port on their own and somehow RC didn't catch it." - this did not take place. 

If you re-read my posts above you will see the order of the events that took place. 

Thank you of clarifying. It does however show that there are faults and lack of enforcement in current policy.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

Royal Caribbean does not have bubble tours. Carnival does and it is very strict to keep you in the bubble. I have excursions booked through the ship for our upcoming cruise and in the fine print it does not in any way say you have to stay in a bubble. The unvaccinated rules only state that you have to take a Royal Caribbean tour in order to disembark. If you can highlight from their fine print or their website where it says anything contrary, please post it so I can get clarification from Royal before our cruise. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Thank you for a great review. Very well written!

I am sorry that posters are name calling and crucifying your moves. Don't let it get to you.

Can you please post who the Captain was? Was Carley B the cruise director? Thanks.

I don't have the Captain's name. It isn't listed anywhere in the Cruise Compass. 

The Cruise Director's name is Bill. 

On 11/13/2021 at 11:18 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Got it.

You lied.

They believed you.

Got it.

I am still waiting for you to respond to my request.  

How is it that I lied? 

How did I willfully violate the protocols. 

Please defend your slanderous remarks. 

Interesting discussion.  For clarity though, what is the purpose of having to take a RC tour if you can also wander around on your own. This is a genuine question.  I'm confused about what is the purpose of that safety measure at all if people can just wander around before or after the tour. I dont intend for this question to ruffle any feathers. 

• Like 2