Emeril's on Mardi Gras....please go

RoperDK

18 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I'm sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory. We all have been occasionally disappointed with our "fine-dining" portions, service and tastes, whether on land or sea. Unfortunately, a sub-standard encounter with Rudi's left a bad taste in your mouths resulting in the subsequent cancelation of another reservation.

I very much appreciate the candor in your post. We will give Rudi's a try and hope for a very pleasant dining experience. 

I would definitely give Rudi's a try.  We didn't enjoy our meal, but so many others have raved about it.  I wonder if quality went down after the first few sailings?  Maybe we just went on a bad night.  Tom-n-Cheryl are going back on Mardi Gras soon.  Looking forward to their thoughts.     

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

... if you have internet access.

You are only going to order if on the ship.

Yeah like I said the QR codes work on the ship. If someone wants to see the menu now and can't read that mirror menu, there's the link.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

For me, I don't "do" seafood and I'm leery of highly spiced foods, which (wrongly or not) I associate with Cajun or Creole offerings, so that's two personal strikes against Emeril's already.    There were so many other good, included dining options on Mardi Gras that we never considered Emeril's or Rudi's.  

One way to encourage people to go to Emeril's would be to reopen it at 10pm.  Since the only other dining options after 10 are pizza, upcharge sushi ('til 11) and upcharge room-service, it might get more people across the transom to try it.  🙂  

That is a great idea.  For a venue that is struggling, it would certainly help.  

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Agree with @Pellaz here.  I was actually DETERMINED to get to Emeril's and it just never quite worked out. There are numerous factors hurting it, IMHO:

1. From the Carnival website, it looks like it will be kinda fancyish. Then you get onboard, and it's a TINY, open street cafe setup with about 10 itty bitty tables that looks abandoned most of the time. 

2. Open hours: There are a couple of huge misses here.  It needs to be open at embarkation for all the eager beavers looking for something different and who may have prioritized it from their pre-cruise planning. This would also possibly fill the place up and make it look more enticing to others boarding and on their initial exploration walkies.

3. Open hours #2:  For criminy sake, keep it open late night for FOURTHMEAL. Like, until about 1 or 2 am. It is physically very close to the popular Fortune Teller Bar - right next door, the Brass Magnolia - around a couple of corners, Center Stage Bar a few steps away in the Grand Atrium, both the Piano Bar and Punchliner just past that on the same deck, and Alchemy - one floor directly overhead. How does Carnival not comprehend the drunchies? Make some money and relieve the pressure on the poor pizza guys. People who are willing to shell out $$ for cruise beverages will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment.  People who also do NOT partake in alcohol will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment. Like, 4 times we went for pizza late and would have preferred Emeril's.  Bonus, if people like it at night, maybe they come back for lunch another day.

4. Did I mention it's TINY? It literally doesn't look like much of a restaurant. It's not something you see on the HUB app being offered as an option, you know, to remind you.  As noted you can't read the distressed mirror menu very well so it's hard to grasp what you're getting (and how much as others also noted) for your a la carte pricing. The taste profile is unique enough that people may be reluctant to sit down and try something that could be a risk taste wise.  It's an odd duck in many ways and easy to pass by. A reservation system with a set upcharge fee including an app, entree and dessert might help. 

5. So many other INCLUDED - and UPCHARGE options on this pleasure cruise.

• For breakfast you have Lido, additional small buffet in the Smokehouse, MDR, Guy's, Blue Iguana, Big Chicken, JavaBlue.
  • For lunch you have Pig and Anchor, Big Chicken, Street Eats, Lido, Sea Day Brunch, Guy's Burger, Blue Iguana, salad up in Serenity deck, Sea Dogs, Shawarma, Panini/Deli, JavaBlue grab and go items. It's insane. Nobody's on the ship long enough to try it all.
  • And then for dinner, we can all bellyache about Chibang but a lot of folks will still want to try it at least once, plus MDR and Cucina, and Smokehouse, and Lido Buffet. Lots of competing upcharge venues that seem more straightforward in concept - Rudi's, Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, Bonsai Sushi, Chef's Table.  And of course still we have 24 hour included pizza and Swirls. 
  • I feel like I"m still forgetting some venues. BIG SHIP!

Anyway, Carnival obviously knows more than humble old Kmom, so whatever.

You have hit the nail on the head!!!  I wish Carnival could see these replies.  A bit of a tweak and even though extra $, I think it would be a hit.  That mirrored menu is terrible to see as you pass by.  Yes, you can QR code it, but I like to review menus as I pass by for future reference and this one is just unreadable.  I would like to see shrimp and grits offered all day.  Meant to get that for breakfast one morning, but soooo many more options.  I am the OP and don't know why I have pursued this subject so much.  I enjoyed the Mardi Gras, but feel something is missing.  Lots of food options, but missing a wow factor.  So many options, so little time.  You really can't get the full experience in one week.     

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I enjoyed the Mardi Gras, but feel something is missing.  Lots of food options, but missing a wow factor.  So many options, so little time.  You really can't get the full experience in one week.     

I think the wow factor was there for us. We really enjoyed the huge, almost overwhelming ship and had same feeling as on Oasis of the Seas that a week is not long enough to experience it all.  The ship was beautiful and we were able to easily find something fun to do all the time.  Having too many choices is a wow factor in itself, a great luxury. I get @Tom-n-Cheryl wanting to go back to hit what they missed the first time around, but we're not really repeaters so what we got was what we got and if we ever climb aboard again that's fine and if not that's fine too. 

On the other hand maybe we are getting spoiled and will find Carnival Legend now beneath our expectations when we sail in, umm, wait, what is that? THIRTY-TWO DAYS!!!!!!!  Woohoo!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

I assumed a table but granted, that is an assumption. At least whatever it was it was sturdy enough to hold my steak. 😉

LOL, I would have to agree…..what I was referring to was not a faux wood top.

I've watched several videos on YT about dining at Emeril's.    You order all your food at the counter and then find a table.   They deliver your order but not in courses.   On one vid the person was eating their salad and they brought her appetizers and entrée.   The tiny table was full of plates.   She had to ask that they please not bring the dessert until they were ready for it.   

Edited by Ti2m
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ti2m said:

I've watched several videos on YT about dining at Emeril's.    You order all your food at the counter and then find a table.   They deliver your order but not in courses.   On one vid the person was eating their salad and they brought her appetizers and entrée.   The tiny table was full of plates.   She had to ask that they please not bring the dessert until they were ready for it.   

Right, the idea is fine but the execution is awkward and needs some attention and improvement.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RoperDK said:

You have hit the nail on the head!!!  I wish Carnival could see these replies.  A bit of a tweak and even though extra $, I think it would be a hit.  That mirrored menu is terrible to see as you pass by.  Yes, you can QR code it, but I like to review menus as I pass by for future reference and this one is just unreadable.  I would like to see shrimp and grits offered all day.  Meant to get that for breakfast one morning, but soooo many more options.  I am the OP and don't know why I have pursued this subject so much.  I enjoyed the Mardi Gras, but feel something is missing.  Lots of food options, but missing a wow factor.  So many options, so little time.  You really can't get the full experience in one week.     

They only have shrimp and grits for breakfast?!?

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

They only have shrimp and grits for breakfast?!?

Yep.  Not a good decision in my mind.  Where I am from, shrimp and grits are offered mainly for lunch and dinner.  In my neck of the woods, cornbread is the customary side.  I am not from the south and it took me a while to adjust to cornbread served with most meals.  I prefer the sweet version, which is blasphemy here. Lol.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Yep.  Not a good decision in my mind.  Where I am from, shrimp and grits are offered mainly for lunch and dinner.  In my neck of the woods, cornbread is the customary side.  I am not from the south and it took me a while to adjust to cornbread served with most meals.  I prefer the sweet version, which is blasphemy here. Lol.   

I'm a Southern and I prefer the sweet version myself. With a dash of ground Red Pepper for a little kick.

• Like 1

Just now, Computer Nerd said:

I'm a Southern and I prefer the sweet version myself. With a dash of ground Red Pepper for a little kick.

Sounds yummy.  We are making converts. We do muffins.  They are delicious.  Skillet cornbread is an art. Cast iron skillet required.  It is almost a lost art that Grandmas could do by second nature.  Mine have always come out too dry.  I just don't have the touch.  

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Sounds yummy.  We are making converts. We do muffins.  They are delicious.  Skillet cornbread is an art. Cast iron skillet required.  It is almost a lost art that Grandmas could do by second nature.  Mine have always come out too dry.  I just don't have the touch.  

Try using buttermilk.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 6:12 AM, KmomChicago said:

Agree with @Pellaz here.  I was actually DETERMINED to get to Emeril's and it just never quite worked out. There are numerous factors hurting it, IMHO:

1. From the Carnival website, it looks like it will be kinda fancyish. Then you get onboard, and it's a TINY, open street cafe setup with about 10 itty bitty tables that looks abandoned most of the time. 

2. Open hours: There are a couple of huge misses here.  It needs to be open at embarkation for all the eager beavers looking for something different and who may have prioritized it from their pre-cruise planning. This would also possibly fill the place up and make it look more enticing to others boarding and on their initial exploration walkies.

Both great ideas, here.  

3. Open hours #2:  For criminy sake, keep it open late night for FOURTHMEAL. Like, until about 1 or 2 am. It is physically very close to the popular Fortune Teller Bar - right next door, the Brass Magnolia - around a couple of corners, Center Stage Bar a few steps away in the Grand Atrium, both the Piano Bar and Punchliner just past that on the same deck, and Alchemy - one floor directly overhead. How does Carnival not comprehend the drunchies? Make some money and relieve the pressure on the poor pizza guys. People who are willing to shell out $$ for cruise beverages will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment.  People who also do NOT partake in alcohol will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment. Like, 4 times we went for pizza late and would have preferred Emeril's.  Bonus, if people like it at night, maybe they come back for lunch another day.

I was half-joking when I suggested they open Emeril's during the Dark Times (i.e., when your only option is pizza), but you've presented a really good argument for opening it at night in the midst of what would normally be a hi-traffic, hi-energy area.  

4. Did I mention it's TINY? It literally doesn't look like much of a restaurant. It's not something you see on the HUB app being offered as an option, you know, to remind you.  As noted you can't read the distressed mirror menu very well so it's hard to grasp what you're getting (and how much as others also noted) for your a la carte pricing. The taste profile is unique enough that people may be reluctant to sit down and try something that could be a risk taste wise.  It's an odd duck in many ways and easy to pass by. A reservation system with a set upcharge fee including an app, entree and dessert might help. 

From your keyboard to Carnival's ears.  Great idea.  

5. So many other INCLUDED - and UPCHARGE options on this pleasure cruise.

• For breakfast you have Lido, additional small buffet in the Smokehouse, MDR, Guy's, Blue Iguana, Big Chicken, JavaBlue.
  • For lunch you have Pig and Anchor, Big Chicken, Street Eats, Lido, Sea Day Brunch, Guy's Burger, Blue Iguana, salad up in Serenity deck, Sea Dogs, Shawarma, Panini/Deli, JavaBlue grab and go items. It's insane. Nobody's on the ship long enough to try it all.
  • And then for dinner, we can all bellyache about Chibang but a lot of folks will still want to try it at least once, plus MDR and Cucina, and Smokehouse, and Lido Buffet. Lots of competing upcharge venues that seem more straightforward in concept - Rudi's, Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, Bonsai Sushi, Chef's Table.  And of course still we have 24 hour included pizza and Swirls. 
  • I feel like I"m still forgetting some venues. BIG SHIP!

LOL, you DID forget the Cucina and Chibang, both open free for lunch, apparently only on sea-days 😞 , with the pasta bar at the former and the made-to-order stir-fry at the latter.  We were heartbroken to see that Cucina wasn't open on embark day for lunch (we'd been spoiled by the Vista and the Magic and we made a beeline there as soon as we boarded).

I managed to make it to Chibang for lunch stir-fry literally 15 minutes before they ceased doing lunch for the rest of the cruise.  The stir-fry was among my best dining experiences on the whole cruise...and on the Mardi Gras, that says a LOT.  

Anyway, Carnival obviously knows more than humble old Kmom, so whatever.

Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure of that, either.  😄  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1