Lobster in main dining room

jamon

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I have not, but if in FLL will def give a try.  We also have a place here called Kelly's, it is on Revere Beach, has been there for years and years and years.  Been going there since I was a kid, fried clams and homemade tartar sauce to die for.

LG when I was in grad school I lived in Revere.  I know Kelly's.  I'm glad it is still there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I have not, but if in FLL will def give a try.  We also have a place here called Kelly's, it is on Revere Beach, has been there for years and years and years.  Been going there since I was a kid, fried clams and homemade tartar sauce to die for.

The roast beef grinders at Kelly's are to DIE for!!  They opened one at Logan airport but we were in the wrong terminal so didn't get to have one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fsdorado said:

The roast beef grinders at Kelly's are to DIE for!!  They opened one at Logan airport but we were in the wrong terminal so didn't get to have one.

Well that says something seeing as you are in TX, where beef is KING!!!

I certainly hope they offer it on the chic night and the Colorado Rack of lamb on the other chic night next week when I am on board.

It is a mystery right now why they are not on the App for Our sailing.

Probably a glitch but if I find out something I will report back

Brockmom

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I grew up in Somerville.  When it was not so nice.  Anyway my DW grew up in northeast MA and so we definitely know Woodman's.

My mom and dad grew up in S'ville, also when it was not so nice.  Today, holy moly the housing and rental costs, wow.

Just now, brockmom said:

I certainly hope they offer it on the chic night and the Colorado Rack of lamb on the other chic night next week when I am on board.

It is a mystery right now why they are not on the App for Our sailing.

Probably a glitch but if I find out something I will report back

Brockmom

If you are on Edge or Apex in a suite, there is a lobster role on the menu for lunch in Luminae.  Warm water though.  And puny.  But if you dine in Fine Cut there is a Surf & Turf with authentic Maine lobster.  It even has a claw!

27 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Kelly’s Landing in FLL is really good, fabulous scallops. Dang, now I want a Kelly’s Lobstah roll from Revere Beach (I’m from Malden)

We really enjoy Kelly's.  We always make a point to grab a meal there when we head to South Florida.

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Use to love lobster now really wont touch them, no reason in particular just do not find them tasty any more.  Cooked them plenty of times, got them fresh from Cape Cod and Maine areas plenty of times.  

It's funny to think that about 150 years ago inmates in jails in the maritimes were served lobster, because it was a cheaper protein choice and was so abundant.

1 hour ago, dgraham said:

It's funny to think that about 150 years ago inmates in jails in the maritimes were served lobster, because it was a cheaper protein choice and was so abundant.

In case this comes up in trivia, what's the most requested "last meal"?  You guessed it, Lobstah!  Full circle...

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If you are on Edge or Apex in a suite, there is a lobster role on the menu for lunch in Luminae.  Warm water though.  And puny.  But if you dine in Fine Cut there is a Surf & Turf with authentic Maine lobster.  It even has a claw!

It's on the Luminae menu for Equinox too.

Every time I've ordered lobster on Celebrity it has been terrible!  Once it was so salty I couldn't swallow it (and I don't mind a little salt).  Once it was overcooked and very tough.  And once they cracked the shell into the meat and I couldn't get all of the tiny shell pieces out to eat it.  When it's offered, I get the beef!

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We had the lobster roll on the Equinox in August for lunch on the embarkation day and it was quit good.  In the Luminae one night we had the lobster tails and they were the best I have had on any cruise ship, but that is not saying much. I have found that the lobsters served on cruise ships are small, tough, overcooked and not worth eating, if I want a better lobster dinner, Red Lobster beats cruise ships, and I do not waste my time or money at any Red Lobster. I am amused that so many spend thousands for a cruise and then worry about whether lobster is served one night.

I was Blu on the Millenium and I have to say, the lobster was so well prepared (tender, succulent) that I asked for a second portion (which was equally well prepared).  I'm very fond of seafood, particularly shellfish, and this was very good by anyone's standards. However, I recently had the lobster in Murano on Equinox and it was served practically raw. I couldn't eat it.  On Millie there was also a lunch place that had a lobster roll that was awful.  

Last Canadian trip on the Summit we have fresh lobster sourced in port (pre-covid) and that was scrumptious.

I find lobster varies as to what time of year they are caught, what species, and and obviously how they are prepared. 

So I don;t think it's possible to generalize in terms of the experience on any particular ship or trip.

22 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I'm very fond of seafood, particularly shellfish, and this was very good by anyone's standards. However, I recently had the lobster in Murano on Equinox and it was served practically raw. I couldn't eat it. 

On the Equinox in August, the night we dinned in Murano our server, when asked told us the Lobster was not worth ordering and that many that night had complained about them. He also confirmed the lobsters were warm water ones on our cruise, I think that was noted on the menu as well.  We ended up ordering delicious herb crusted rack of lamb. 

Edited by terrydtx

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We had the lobster roll on the Equinox in August for lunch on the embarkation day and it was quit good.  In the Luminae one night we had the lobster tails and they were the best I have had on any cruise ship, but that is not saying much. I have found that the lobsters served on cruise ships are small, tough, overcooked and not worth eating, if I want a better lobster dinner, Red Lobster beats cruise ships, and I do not waste my time or money at any Red Lobster. I am amused that so many spend thousands for a cruise and then worry about whether lobster is served one night.

I truly believe that many people from different parts of the USA do not know the difference between cold water true lobster (with claws and tail meat), and the warm water spiny varieties (tail meat only) that are almost always served on cruise ships.  The warm water varieties are part of the crawfish family and not the lobster family.  But would people on ships get excited about crawfish night in the MDR?  That is actually what they are getting.

Warm Water Lobsters: Collectively, these varieties are also known as the ”rock lobster,  “spiny lobster,” or “false lobster” since they are actually a type of large crawfish and do not fall under the family Nephropidae, which comprises lobsters. While they have 5 appendages, they have NO front claws. Instead, what many people mistake for their front legs is actually a large set of antennae.

https://robustkitchen.com/types-of-lobsters/