Back to back cruise process

Gary4304

We are booked on our first back to back cruise on Marina in September 2022.  What is the process for the day, do we all disembark and re embark? What about covid testing? There are no excursions available? Any suggestions for for excursion from Ijmuiden (Amsterdam)?

Pre covid

Depending on the Country  you may have to leave the ship for  a short time  or maybe not

Instructions will be sent to the cabin a few days before the end of the 1st  segment  on what to do

There may be tours offered for B2B pax  they will also be sent to the cabin

or you could make your way to Amsterdam

I am sure someone will give you the current   covid testing  rules

July 21 we were on b2b and per government requirements we had to be retested between cruises. Two things. 1. No crystal ball on Sep 22 (2) Every country has their own rules. What Italy does is ( maybe) different from France, Spain, Germany, and in your case the Nederlands . I would guess that by July 22 you may have an answer .

Just as an example, Chile has retweaked their entry protocols 3 times in the past 6 weeks. I expect more changes before we get there in two months.

If this is a true B2B cruise vs a "Grand Voyage" Oceania combined cruise, there usually will be no Oceania excursions for the day- at least we have not had any on past cruises.  We're on a 24 day "Grand Voyage" cruise scheduled for October 2022, there are Oceania excursions listed for our turn around day in Athens.

On the turn around day, the Grand dining room is usually open for lunch for continuing passengers, new passengers must use the Terrace Cafe.

Edited by arima22

In the past  when we did the B2B  there were some sightseeing tours offered  for those continuing

We chose to just go off on our own

Sometimes they were not listed  on the Excursion page  but they were on a  sheet  for turnaround day instructions

We usually do not take the offer of lunch in the GDR  as we are usually ashore  during the dining hour

JME

Historic Haarlem would be a nice place to visit from Ijmuiden if you prefer not to go all the way into the enormous hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. The Frans Hals Museum,  a lovely historic Grote Markt, St. Bavo Church, etc., all places that are lovely but not as overwhelming for a day’s visit. 

2 hours ago, arima22 said:

If this is a true B2B cruise vs a "Grand Voyage" Oceania combined cruise, there usually will be no Oceania excursions for the day- at least we have not had any on past cruises.  We're on a 24 day "Grand Voyage" cruise scheduled for October 2022, there are Oceania excursions listed for our turn around day in Athens.

On the turn around day, the Grand dining room is usually open for lunch for continuing passengers, new passengers must use the Terrace Cafe.

On Oceania, you cannot book two adjacent cruises separately. They will either be marketed as an “Extended Journey” (still listed as the archaic Grand Voyages on the O web search page) with a single booking number OR you can book them as a “custom cruise” with a single booking number if they are not marketed as an “Extended Journey.”

FWIW: There are occasions where the same multi-segment itinerary may appear as an Extended Journey one month and would need to be booked as a “Custom Cruise” the next month. Both ways to do multi-segments have discounts as compared to the total cost of each segment. But, they can differ somewhat when it comes to the associated perks.

Three (or more) segments (what once was the actual definition of “Grand Voyage”), also may complicate things. For example, we’re doing two adjacent “Extended Journeys” in Autumn 2022 and the long-serving O rep we sometimes use for complicated bookings (before then transferring them to our TA within the allowable 30 day window) did arrange each two segment component as a separate booking rather than a four segment “Custom Cruise.” This was done to maximize our Platinum O Club perks.

Anyone new to O needs to realize that it’s worth the effort to learn the booking challenges associated with multi-segment cruises. And, it’s equally valuable to find a TA who knows O “inside out.” They can be found among O’s Connoisseurs Club member agencies or, better still, among O’s “Preferred Partners.”

3 hours ago, arima22 said:

During the cruise, the Excursions desk may send out a signup notice for added tours on the “changeover” day.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

On Oceania, you cannot book two adjacent cruises separately. They will either be marketed as an “Extended Journey” (still listed as the archaic Grand Voyages on the O web search page) with a single booking number OR you can book them as a “custom cruise” with a single booking number if they are not marketed as an “Extended Journey.”

Not true. I have booked two adjacent upcoming cruises  separately as O listed them as separate AND as a combined cruise at a discount. Different booking numbers. The miniscule upcharge was worth it to get the extra cruise credit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Not true. I have booked two adjacent upcoming cruises  separately as O listed them as separate AND as a combined cruise at a discount. Different booking numbers. The miniscule upcharge was worth it to get the extra cruise credit.

Yes, his “ one size fits all “ statement was incorrect. For example, I have close friends that booked a cruise upon release. About 3-4 months later they opted to book the available cruise after their originally booked cruise. They got neither the cabin nor class of cabin as the first cruise. They have separate booking numbers for each cruise, along with the perks of having 2 cruises booked instead of one.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Yes, his “ one size fits all “ statement was incorrect. For example, I have close friends that booked a cruise upon release. About 3-4 months later they opted to book the available cruise after their originally booked cruise. They got neither the cabin nor class of cabin as the first cruise. They have separate booking numbers for each cruise, along with the perks of having 2 cruises booked instead of one.

As you yourself just pointed out, your example was for two bookings months apart. Extended Journeys and Custom cruises are for adjacent itineraries booked with same cabin at the same time.

4 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

I am assuming you did this via a TA. To the best of my knowledge, no knowledgeable O phone rep or onboard O Club ambassador would do this if the two segments are published as an “extended journey” (aka “grand voyage.” My understanding is that the O software will post an “error” if it is attempted.

As for the unpublished “custom cruise” combination of multi-segments, there is some leeway in opting for separate bookings (similar to the leeway of not having onboard bookings auto-assigned to the current cruise’s TA). But, it remains an exception to O’s general policy. (Remember that O will consider any request for a reasonable exception. 

Moreover, in some complicated multi-segment booking situations, you cannot create a “custom” cruise. Why?
O policy: only one fare reduction per multisegment itinerary (published or custom). So, if you want to book two adjacent 2 segment “extended journey” cruises at the same time with same cabin, you have to book them separately. As for perks, you’ll get the regular extended journey discounts, separate cruise credits and O Club perks, etc. and two booking numbers.

In any case: when I post what I understand to be a policy (from conversations with trusted/preferred O partners and/or O Club Ambassadors), it’s always with the understanding that there can be reasonable exceptions made.

Flatbush;

The important thing here is to answer the question accurately as Lyn did. Best choice is to stop by the Services deck, sometime during the cruise, an enquirer. Sometimes they run tours, other times they don’t. A three paragraph diatribe on why they aren’t really on b2bs may not only be incorrect, but has nothing to do with the question. They are on the ship during a turnaround.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the help, all information has been helpful. We have one booking number and cruise is advertised as one 28 day also advertised as separate 14 day cruises. I can be  a bit of a planner and DW is interested in Amsterdam excursions on our turnaround day. Looking for recommendations on  excursions from the port of Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) offered either by Oceania or outside vendor.

Thanks

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Flatbush;

The important thing here is to answer the question accurately as Lyn did. Best choice is to stop by the Services deck, sometime during the cruise, an enquirer. Sometimes they run tours, other times they don’t. A three paragraph diatribe on why they aren’t really on b2bs may not only be incorrect, but has nothing to do with the question. They are on the ship during a turnaround.

Perhaps you forget that many readers of these forums are new to O. When I and others answer questions, we sometimes use the opportunity to explain or correct statements that may lead THEM astray, particularly where money is involved. 

YOU already know how the way you book multi-segments can affect things like cruise credits, O Club SBC. Why not help a perusing newbie better understand finer points and strengthen the fund of searchable responses?

What is LOL here is that in one post you’ll bemoan not following an O “policy” like the CYA wine limit and then turn around in another post and suggest that a different “policy” like booking idiosyncrasies is unimportant. 

There’s a simple solution here for you. If you don’t like what any particular person posts, don’t read their stuff. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, Jancruz said:

Truthfully there is no one that can tell you what is going to happen next week let alone next year..

Jancruz1

with this new Covid we do not what will happen tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Gary4304 said:

Thanks for all the help, all information has been helpful. We have one booking number and cruise is advertised as one 28 day also advertised as separate 14 day cruises. I can be  a bit of a planner and DW is interested in Amsterdam excursions on our turnaround day. Looking for recommendations on  excursions from the port of Ijmuiden (Amsterdam) offered either by Oceania or outside vendor.

Thanks

Is this the port that is right in the town? If so you can go to the train station next door and take a bus to Zaanse Schans which is pretty cool if you want to see wind mills. It's a bit touristy, but a fun way to kill a few hours. We enjoyed it. There are step by step instructions on how to get there if you Google it. This is a real low cost excursion. There is also the Hop On Hop Off buses that leave right from that area. The whole town is pretty much available with that. 

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As you yourself just pointed out, your example was for two bookings months apart. Extended Journeys and Custom cruises are for adjacent itineraries booked with same cabin at the same time.

I am assuming you did this via a TA. To the best of my knowledge, no knowledgeable O phone rep or onboard O Club ambassador would do this if the two segments are published as an “extended journey” (aka “grand voyage.” My understanding is that the O software will post an “error” if it is attempted.

As for the unpublished “custom cruise” combination of multi-segments, there is some leeway in opting for separate bookings (similar to the leeway of not having onboard bookings auto-assigned to the current cruise’s TA). But, it remains an exception to O’s general policy. (Remember that O will consider any request for a reasonable exception. 

Moreover, in some complicated multi-segment booking situations, you cannot create a “custom” cruise. Why?
O policy: only one fare reduction per multisegment itinerary (published or custom). So, if you want to book two adjacent 2 segment “extended journey” cruises at the same time with same cabin, you have to book them separately. As for perks, you’ll get the regular extended journey discounts, separate cruise credits and O Club perks, etc. and two booking numbers.

In any case: when I post what I understand to be a policy (from conversations with trusted/preferred O partners and/or O Club Ambassadors), it’s always with the understanding that there can be reasonable exceptions made.

My friend, you missed the fact that O itself listed, on the website both cruises as separate bookings AND as a single cruise. We simply followed what they gave us.  Two full bookings with full benefits for each. And we booked both at the same time.

Edited by Aloha 1

49 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

My friend, you missed the fact that O itself listed, on the website both cruises as separate bookings AND as a single cruise. We simply followed what they gave us.  Two full bookings with full benefits for each. And we booked both at the same time.

I understand what you did. And, of course, all segments are listed since folks do book single segments. 
But, are you saying that, on the O web, the two segments were also listed as a single cruise with its own different name?

Humor me. What are the two cruises? 
Thanks!

Hi FF,

I really enjoy your in depth knowledge of O and have learned a lot. I think you may find what happened to my next cruise(s) interesting.

In June 2021, I booked a 21-day, Barcelona round trip for April 4-25, 2022 on Riviera.  It’s called Romantic Sojourn.  The 21-day is also sold as an 11-day (called  Classical Coasts) and a 10-day (called Mediterranean Discovery). For O’s Labor Day promo, O cancelled my 21-day and rebooked me on the 10-day and 11-day.  My PH3 was the same for all 3 booking numbers.  Additionally,  the total cost of the 2 cruises is $1200 less (per person) than my original 21-day cruise.  Thank you O!

1 minute ago, CruisingIGo said:

Hi FF,

I really enjoy your in depth knowledge of O and have learned a lot. I think you may find what happened to my next cruise(s) interesting.

In June 2021, I booked a 21-day, Barcelona round trip for April 4-25, 2022 on Riviera.  It’s called Romantic Sojourn.  The 21-day is also sold as an 11-day (called  Classical Coasts) and a 10-day (called Mediterranean Discovery). For O’s Labor Day promo, O cancelled my 21-day and rebooked me on the 10-day and 11-day.  My PH3 was the same for all 3 booking numbers.  Additionally,  the total cost of the 2 cruises is $1200 less (per person) than my original 21-day cruise.  Thank you O!

Thanks for detail! Very helpful to understand the big picture.

Did you book direct with O or via a TA?