Old Folks Issues

mark46

Tell me about the bathrooms on an Emerald Princess mini-suite.

I am concerned that the toilets are too low and that the tub/shower would be difficult to navigate.  At home we have raised toilets and showers with grab bars. Our tub in walk-in.

Do accessible rooms solve these issues.  Also, when I looked at the Princess site, these rooms seem to be resricted to those with wheelchairs or folks with serious medical needs.  Is that an issue in booking these rooms?  

12 minutes ago, mark46 said:

Tell me about the bathrooms on an Emerald Princess mini-suite.

I am concerned that the toilets are too low and that the tub/shower would be difficult to navigate.  At home we have raised toilets and showers with grab bars. Our tub in walk-in.

Do accessible rooms solve these issues.  Also, when I looked at the Princess site, these rooms seem to be resricted to those with wheelchairs or folks with serious medical needs.  Is that an issue in booking these rooms?  

Go into the medallion app and under …My  Preferences, Accessibility, In Cabin…  there is a place to check if you would like a raised toilet seat or a shower seat.  I hope this helps.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mark46 said:

.. Also, when I looked at the Princess site, these rooms seem to be resricted to those with wheelchairs or folks with serious medical needs.  Is that an issue in booking these rooms?  

Anyone can book those rooms it turns out.

I have stayed in a mini on the Emerald, and the toilet is close enough to the sink that if you need to you can get a grasp on the sink and pull yourself up. I have permanent balance loss and had no trouble getting into the shower by grabbing the hand bar and then stepping into the tub/shower.

• Like 1

Not sure about toilet height but the tub is very deep and requires lifting leg pretty high to avoid hitting sides. Perhaps one can sit on the edge and pivot into the tub. I’d be concerned about someone with balance or mobility issues in the mini-suite. 

1 hour ago, JoRoy218 said:

Not sure about toilet height but the tub is very deep and requires lifting leg pretty high to avoid hitting sides. 

I was going to mention that, as well.

A very high step over into the tub.

I guess they are planning for rough weather...

...in the tub.

My mom had mobility issues. We did travel in minis- and she would sit on the edge and swing her legs over the edge. It helped, but I was always a little nervous that she would fall. Even in great shape, I would have had a hard time lifting her out of that tub. 

In the end we had full suites. There is a separate shower and tub. That worked better for us. 

All the toilets are at the normal height which is several inches lower than what many of us have at home.    The tubs can be difficult (entry/exit) for folks with challenges.  Most cabins have showers (not tubs) and they are fine for entry/exit.  We older folks do not have to worry about falling in the shower since there is not enough room :).

Hank

• Haha 2

Thank you for the comments so far.   

1) The Princess site threatens to eject anyone from the room who cannot prove that they need the accessible room.

2) Being able to request a raised toilet is great to know.

3) Do most minis come with showers?  That would eliminate the tub issue.

7 minutes ago, mark46 said:

Thank you for the comments so far.   

1) The Princess site threatens to eject anyone from the room who cannot prove that they need the accessible room.

2) Being able to request a raised toilet is great to know.

3) Do most minis come with showers?  That would eliminate the tub issue.

3) Most minis have a shower/tub combo.  The tub is deep. 

Accessible Minis don’t usually have the tub.  My DH has serious balance and stability issues, but does not use a wheeled mobility device.  We have not had issues booking accessible cabins in the past, because he specifically needs the grab bars. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: ATTESTATION OF NEED FOR ACCESSIBLE CABIN

I attest that I or another person traveling in the same cabin have a recognized disability that alters a major life function and requires the use of a mobility device and the use of the accessible features provided in the wheelchair accessible cabin. I understand that Princess Cruises is required to investigate the potential misuse of accessible cabins where there is good cause to believe such cabins have been purchased fraudulently. I further understand that Princess Cruises will take appropriate action against someone who has reserved or purchased such a cabin fraudulently, and that action may include but is not limited to removal from the cabin to a non-accessible accommodation, up to denial of boarding.
Upon completion of your booking, please contact the Access Office ataccessoffice@princesscruises.comto confirm your special needs.
===============

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mark46 said:

I attest that I or another person traveling in the same cabin have a recognized disability that alters a major life function and requires the use of a mobility device and the use of the accessible features provided in the wheelchair accessible cabin. I understand that Princess Cruises is required to investigate the potential misuse of accessible cabins where there is good cause to believe such cabins have been purchased fraudulently. I further understand that Princess Cruises will take appropriate action against someone who has reserved or purchased such a cabin fraudulently, and that action may include but is not limited to removal from the cabin to a non-accessible accommodation, up to denial of boarding.
Upon completion of your booking, please contact the Access Office ataccessoffice@princesscruises.comto confirm your special needs.
===============

But do they actually check.  We all know that at airports many people who need early boarding or other stuff to get to or on the plane suddenly have a miracle cure as soon as they get onto the airplane.

DON

• Haha 1

This may be the most logical reason to book a full suite.  The Emerald's S6 vista suites (or any higher category aft suites) are wonderful.   We find more than enough room for our mobility devices (if one doesn't have one now maybe one would need to be rented).

You only go around once!

39 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

But do they actually check.  We all know that at airports many people who need early boarding or other stuff to get to or on the plane suddenly have a miracle cure as soon as they  onto the airplane.

DON

My husband requires wheelchair assistance through the airport because he's had a stroke, open heart surgery, and RA.  He's not even 60 yet. He can walk if needed, but has balance issues and issues with standing in place like the TSA line.   Just because he can get out of the chair to board the airplane doesn't mean he's been miraculously cured.  Not all disability is immediatly recognizable.  I suggest you check that judgement at the door.

• Like 11

35 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

My husband requires wheelchair assistance through the airport because he's had a stroke, open heart surgery, and RA.  He's not even 60 yet. He can walk if needed, but has balance issues and issues with standing in place like the TSA line.   Just because he can get out of the chair to board the airplane doesn't mean he's been miraculously cured.  Not all disability is immediatly recognizable.  I suggest you check that judgement at the door.

I understand about your husband and that not all disabilities are recognizable. I  also admit that it can be harder to walk the distance to the boarding area and people do need a wheel chair or an electric cart.   But you do have to admit that some people game the disability system.  They walk to the gate area.  They walk around the gate area.  Then they suddenly need more time to board when it is boarding time.  

DON

I strongly agree with iamaqt2.

It is because disabilities aren't noticeable that I started the thread.  If the staff "checks", my has no disability.  Nor do I.  However, we are both over 75.

We do the raiser for the toilet, and grab-bars are important. If we do book a club mini, I think that we would take along a device to make access to the tub/shower easier.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

I understand about your husband and that not all disabilities are recognizable. I  also admit that it can be harder to walk the distance to the boarding area and people do need a wheel chair or an electric cart.   But you do have to admit that some people game the disability system.  They walk to the gate area.  They walk around the gate area.  Then they suddenly need more time to board when it is boarding time.  

DON

I've never paid attention to that, or actually worried about it.  Because I'm too busy dealing with the issues we'll have.  
But it's so nice of you to point it out just in case I find some free time to pay attention to people you consider "cheaters".
My husband is legally disabled, uses a wheelchair on occasion, and very rarely have we booked an HC cabin.  
You don't get to judge others based off what you "see" at the terminal.  Maybe they're having a good day, but tomorrow won't be one?  MS and RA are known for that.  
Maybe just worry about the fun you're going to have on your vacation,  and let others work out theirs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mark46 said:

I strongly agree with iamaqt2.

It is because disabilities aren't noticeable that I started the thread.  If the staff "checks", my has no disability.  Nor do I.  However, we are both over 75.

We do the raiser for the toilet, and grab-bars are important. If we do book a club mini, I think that we would take along a device to make access to the tub/shower easier.   

Hi Mark... those shower tub combos are pretty high, but Princess has shower stools that can be requested to help stabilize the entry, and also be used for balance issues.  My husband usually sits on the side of the tub then swings around and uses the stool to enter.  They're not great, but they do help.  
The Access dept. can help facilitate this for you.

7 hours ago, mark46 said:

===============

Well thanks for the screen shot but I'm looking for the link to this on the Princess website.