Liberty of the Seas Medical Emergency

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Must be serious.   Perhaps this will be a wake up call for those who don't purchase insurance.   Plus, many health insurance companies will not cover you out of the country.

Best wishes for the ill passenger. 

M

Is there all ready another Royal shipped docked there?

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/mexico/quintana-roo/cozumel-pier.html

Edited by Jimbo

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Is there all ready another Royal shipped docked there?

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/mexico/quintana-roo/cozumel-pier.html

Jimbo 

Not close enough yet to know exactly where we will end up, International Pier or elsewhere (I guess that would be allowed in an emergent situation)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Today is a sea day, but the Captain just announced we are making an emergency Medical stop in Cozumel. Approaching the island now . No details of course 

Best wishes for the passenger and hope you all are enjoying the open seas again soon.

8 minutes ago, death_star said:

Looks like the ambulance is meeting them on the pier next to Allure.

Saw the ambulance drive out on the pier on the live webcam.  I imagine the family is just beside themselves as long as it takes to back the ship in and maneuver.  Hopefully the person is stable currently while everyone works to maintain the safety of everyone involved with an emergency stop such as this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Jimbo 

Not close enough yet to know exactly where we will end up, International Pier or elsewhere (I guess that would be allowed in an emergent situation)

I can see it pulling alongside the Allure on the webcam right now (backing in)

A few years ago, my mother-in-law was forced off the ship in Cozumel (not from a Royal Caribbean ship though) and she nearly died. They took her to some medical facility for cruise ships but not the hospital. She was 84 (father-in-law was 84 and with her) and the treatment was horrible. My wife had to try and coordinate medical evacuation from here in the states and it was tough. Of course the clinic wanted to be paid before they would let her leave. By the time medivac could get her, she was non-responsive - there care was horrible. They flew her and my FIL to Florida and my wife met them there. Took her 3 weeks to recover. It was some kind of Covid virus. Fortunately they had travel insurance and it covered pretty much everything but the paperwork required was horrendous. 

The passenger is the wife of my husband's friend and we just heard from him that she is in the hospital and doing alright. She had chest pains on the ship and they stopped in Cozumel to let them off and take her to the hospital. She is awaiting a procedure, but is still very much alive.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, vplsh said:

The passenger is the wife of my husband's friend and we just heard from him that she is in the hospital and doing alright. She had chest pains on the ship and they stopped in Cozumel to let them off and take her to the hospital. She is awaiting a procedure, but is still very much alive.

Thank you for the update!  So happy to hear good news.  

We have seen medical emergencies before on the various ships we have sailed to include air evacuations, emergency port stops and even scheduled port stops.  It is tragic but life goes on.  For those that are not aware they have a morgue and a fully equipped level 1 trauma center on the ship (I did a ship tour once but they did not show us the brig!).  On that ship tour they allowed us to enter one of the two rooms since one room was occupied and the door closed.  We board the LOTS on Sunday as this load of pax leaves the ship.  

In a similar note we have seen security sitting outside a cabin door due to some reason to confine the occupants to their cabin. 

39 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We have seen medical emergencies before on the various ships we have sailed to include air evacuations, emergency port stops and even scheduled port stops.  It is tragic but life goes on.  For those that are not aware they have a morgue and a fully equipped level 1 trauma center on the ship (I did a ship tour once but they did not show us the brig!).  On that ship tour they allowed us to enter one of the two rooms since one room was occupied and the door closed.  We board the LOTS on Sunday as this load of pax leaves the ship.  

In a similar note we have seen security sitting outside a cabin door due to some reason to confine the occupants to their cabin. 

Perhaps a level IV at best.

If it was a Level I, there would be no need to transfer anyone off.

They would be sending injured people from the shore too the ship for treatment..

• Like 1